Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House on a budget

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That was a really interesting project, you can read more about it and view the plans / build instructions at irishvernacular.com

50 days over 2 years, it was an incredible achievement on such a tiny budget, unfortunately there's been little additional detail since it was originally built in around 2011 IIRC. I don't know of any similar projects since.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No mention as to whether or not it's actually compliant with building regs.

It looks like a shed that he's basically fitted out with plywood and plasterboard and called it a house. Would love to know what it's like to sit in on a cold, windy night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

awec wrote: »
    No mention as to whether or not it's actually compliant with building regs.

It looks like a shed that he's basically fitted out with plywood and plasterboard and called it a house. Would love to know what it's like to sit in on a cold, windy night.

If you read the article its says its highley insulate, yes it would be interesting to know if it complies with building regs.

If I remember correctly the architect (owner) was employed in a professional capacity by one of the LAs at the time. I'd be incredibly surprised to discover anything was done contrary to building / planning regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not to take away from the value of the project, but the vast majority of building costs are in the labour.

That notwithstanding, you would still get a decent property for around €100k (not including the site), and a proper builder would stick it together in less than 2 years :D

Here in Ireland we're quite married to the idea of having large unique homes on plots of land. Hence the popularity of Dermot Bannon and such. This is probably why this kind of design-sharing, or small economical homes has never been a big thing here.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Graham wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the architect (owner) was employed in a professional capacity by one of the LAs at the time. I'd be incredibly surprised to discover anything was done contrary to building / planning regs.

I would be surprised if it's in any way compliant as generally complying with regs for a habitable dwelling makes super-cheap housing impossible.

Otherwise these huts would just be popping up everywhere.

There's a piece by another architect that calculated all the U values for the IVH. Worth a Google if you're interested.

The same architect that designed/built the IVH was also involved with Cloughjordan Ecovillage at one stage. Another interesting and fairly closely related project.

http://www.thevillage.ie/

http://www.thevillage.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/lowcosthousedominicstevens.pdf

awec wrote: »
    I would be surprised if it's in any way compliant as generally complying with regs for a habitable dwelling makes super-cheap housing impossible.

Otherwise these huts would just be popping up everywhere.

Irish Vernacular style obviously isn't going to work in an urban setting and once you get out of the towns, local needs is going to scupper a lot of potential projects.

Advertisement