Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I am burning the Rocket Blazers eco logs, along with Arigna Ecobrite in a 16kw boiler stove running 11 rads. Stove runs from 4pm till last loading 8pm every day from (usually start of October through to middle/end march)

Last winter (2018/2019) I burned one ton of Ecobrite and 85 bales of Rocket blazers (a pallet is 96 bales).

As An Ri rua has mentioned these wood briquettes are very good and most importantly, don't expand. This can be a danger with open or stove. It has happened to me when I opened the stove door and part of a burning briquette fell out. So I learned the hard way, not to overload the fire.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have tried nearly all types of compressed wood briquettes available in Ireland and I have found the Rocket Blazers to be the best.

They are not cheap but atleast I am not boiling water in the stove with moist logs. The Blazers are consistent reliable heat.

The only drawback is they must be kept dry. I have kept them in a covered leanto under a tightly straped on tarp and that worked perfectly.

All I can say is that these Rocket Blazers work fo me and I will continue to buy them.

I see that the Irish company in Mullingar, Flamers, has a new wood briquette called Flamer Shimada heat log that looks very like the Rocket Blazer. I must try a few as it would be good to support local and Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

Do I need more than 1 rocket blaze on each occasion to light up the stove?

I was thinking to use 1 rocket blaze to get the fire going on and then throw in the Ash woods.

I’d be interested on experienced users thoughts on this too, as I’m planning to get a new stove fitted soon and was thinking about fueling it as masterboy has suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

lenscap wrote: »
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭geo88

What's the best deal for smaller quantities? (I have yet to sort out storage unfortunately - and not likely to get to that soon).

The rocket blaze packs work out to about 6.5e/pack if buying the mini-pallet (24 packs) options.

I saw recently similar looking packs (not the same brand though) at TJ O'Mahony for 5.5e each, while they also have the MegaTherm beach log 10KG bags for 5e.

Given the price difference, should I just go with the ecoblaze briquettes from TJ, if I'm planning to spend less than 100e? Would they give out much better heat that the beach logs I wonder? (Or are they better mixed - the two fuels).

I see that the Irish company in Mullingar, Flamers, has a new wood briquette called Flamer Shimada heat log that looks very like the Rocket Blazer. I must try a few as it would be good to support local and Irish.
    I emailed Flamers asking how do their Shimada compare to Rocket Blaze. No reply, as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

geo88 wrote: »
    What's the best deal for smaller quantities? (I have yet to sort out storage unfortunately - and not likely to get to that soon).

The rocket blaze packs work out to about 6.5e/pack if buying the mini-pallet (24 packs) options.

I saw recently similar looking packs (not the same brand though) at TJ O'Mahony for 5.5e each, while they also have the MegaTherm beach log 10KG bags for 5e.

Given the price difference, should I just go with the ecoblaze briquettes from TJ, if I'm planning to spend less than 100e? Would they give out much better heat that the beach logs I wonder? (Or are they better mixed - the two fuels).

Request the megajoules (MJ) or read it off the specs online or in the side of the packet. Then work out the MJ per kg, then work out the MJ per kg per euro.
    If at that small quantity, just buy a mix.

There will be 24 rocket blaze woods in 2 sample packs.

Do I need more than 1 rocket blaze on each occasion to light up the stove?

I was thinking to use 1 rocket blaze to get the fire going on and then throw in the Ash woods.

The important thing when starting any fire is to get a small, hot fire going. This is so as to create draft and to warm the stove itself. If not, it will rob precious heat from the combustion process when your burning air-dried wood.
    That involves dry kindling. And small pieces of wood. Rocket Blaze are extremely hard. You can bang them together and use their edges to break them where you need to, or else a hammer /back head of a hatchet etc. You cannot break these logs with your hand. They are long burning and no single log of any description will light easily by itself. You need to give fire channels to work through. Watch some videos of people filling fireboxes on YouTube or you will be wasting time and fuel.
    Yes, once you get a fire going, you can then add logs. But one Rocket Blaze is insufficient to get a good starter fire going. More like 4, either laid 2 on 2 or else broken into 8 pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭geo88

I've never seen the MJ being put on the labels for logs before - and sometimes it's very hard to find official figures on any websites unfortunately. It would be great if regulations mandated that though (unless I'm looking in the wrong place on the labels..).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

1m3 crate of ash firewood- €190

tonne bag of ash firewood- €85

which is the better deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Sorry if a dumb question, but is kiln dried wood ok to use in an open fire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Blanco100 wrote: »
    1m3 crate of ash firewood- €190

tonne bag of ash firewood- €85

which is the better deal?

the crate is better value for money

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

ddubs wrote: »

in the description, it says the volume is actually 0.8m3, it's actually the pallet itself that measures 1m, so not quite as good value as it seems

Pallet Dimensions, 110 x 80 x 100cm. Pallet size 0.97 m. Volume of Firewood 0.80m

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes of course.

deadduck wrote: »
    in the description, it says the volume is actually 0.8m3, it's actually the pallet itself that measures 1m, so not quite as good value as it seems

Pallet Dimensions, 110 x 80 x 100cm. Pallet size 0.97 m. Volume of Firewood 0.80m

delivery is also 50 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

OmegaGene wrote: »
    delivery is also 50 euro

Coming up free for me. Site states free delivery over €150

ddubs wrote: »
    Coming up free for me. Site states free delivery over €150

i asked my local co op to deliver and they said it is only free in the town and to go to the next village would be 50 euro so i left it and ended up going with this place

https://www.coughlanfuels.com/

geo88 wrote: »
    I've never seen the MJ being put on the labels for logs before - and sometimes it's very hard to find official figures on any websites unfortunately. It would be great if regulations mandated that though (unless I'm looking in the wrong place on the labels..).

It's on most manufactured logs, certainly if not on packaging then on spec sheets or website collateral.
    Its not likely to be on packaged cut logs. If a log is beech, or birch, or Scots Pine, that generic information is widely available on Google.

E.g. https://www.ecologs.ie/shop/eco-logs/rocket-blaze-wood-briquettes

Low moisture content: ~8%
    High heat output: 20 MJ/kg gross calorific value;
    High density: 1,300 kg/m3

I am sure the other ecolog providers have email addresses if this information isn't apparent. But the data is available.

Re generic wood species' calorific value:-
    http://www.woodenergy.ie/woodasafuel/listandvaluesofwoodfuelparameters-part2/

You're looking at between 10-20mj, from wet logs up to the best heat manufactured logs such as Rocket Blaze. 20MJ/KG Vs 17-18 and lower for the compressed logs such as Aldi and Lidl often have.
    But there's more to extruded logs to just heat. They do not expand!! I've had my fire grate pushed over in an open fire by over-zealous filling of the firebox.

In many senses, the potential Mj /kg (calorific value) is irrelevant if your fire is not burning hot. I.e. very little smoke. It should be burning the smoke as well. Which is what a gasifier does. Or a second stage burn on many stoves. I achieve the same effect in an open fire through use of an intense firebox using storage heater bricks. But that's for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

deadduck wrote: »

At least they are clear it is 0.8m3 of logs but still pretty daft to be even mentioning that the pallet is 1m, people are not buying it for the pallet size so thats irrelevant information.

Last winter the Co-op did a deal for 199 for 1m3 of ash/oak including delivery. Some people on here got it but then after about a week they pulled the free delivery part and it went up to something like 240. This year it is 0.8m3 also for 199 which again shows merchants selling 20% less logs for the same price as last winter.

These 0.8m3 crate sizes are problematic as well, I would doubt such a size would last most households who are only burning wood the entire winter. Many people would end up ordering a second crate again thus sucking up a second set of delivery costs, its not actually free after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I achieve the same effect in an open fire through use of an intense firebox using storage heater bricks. But that's for another thread.

I'm curious about this, any chance of a photo? :)

• Advertisement

Sent an email to Flamers re Shimada logs. Got a reply re pricing only, no comment in reply to my question about the logs themselves.

I get the impression both Flamers and Ecologs are doing quite well.

Could anyone who uses wood briquettes say if they have a smell? Thinking of getting an indoor log rack/holder. Keep 40 or 50 beside the fire and keep the trips out to the garage to a minimum. A smell of fresh cut wood would be nice, not so much if there's some sort of residual chemical smell from the manufacturing process.

Something like

71aC2YmcYwL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Could anyone who uses wood briquettes say if they have a smell? Thinking of getting an indoor log rack/holder. Keep 40 or 50 beside the fire and keep the trips out to the garage to a minimum. A smell of fresh cut wood would be nice, not so much if there's some sort of residual chemical smell from the manufacturing process.

Something like

71aC2YmcYwL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Rocket Blaze have no smell that I can recall.

Flamers standard ecolog has a pine wood smell. It's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Quote:
    Originally Posted by An Ri rua View Post
    I achieve the same effect in an open fire through use of an intense firebox using storage heater bricks. But that's for another thread.

I'm curious about this, any chance of a photo?

This is indeed interesting, seeing as I also have an open fire and lots of storage heater bricks lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

You should only use dry timber in any fire. Kiln dried is the best as it has the least moisture

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Hello everybody. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

First off, thanks for providing links to bargains.

First one I bought - SureFirewood superjumbo bag (235 euro). Mixture of ash, oak, beech, alder, chestnut and some others I was unable to recognise. Average log's length - 20 to 22 cm. No photo (sorry), the remainder of the stuff can be seen in bottom right corner on photo #3.

The second one, purchased last week - Monahans kiln dried 2m crate of oak. 370 quid.

01del-phm.jpg

Average log's length - 25 cm, exactly as advertised.

Unloading in progress:

02unl-phm.jpg

First row in a shed (note mix of SureFirewood logs on bottom right corner)

03fro-phm.jpg

And second row in storage as well:

04sro-phm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Sent an email to Flamers re Shimada logs. Got a reply re pricing only, no comment in reply to my question about the logs themselves.

I get the impression both Flamers and Ecologs are doing quite well.

Do you mind me asking how much did they quote for a pallet (ton) of the Shimada and is delivery included?

Do you mind me asking how much did they quote for a pallet (ton) of the Shimada and is delivery included?
    PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry3

Hi, I am wondering the same as they haven't replied as of yet. I did try the Blazers a couple of years ago and they did burn quicker than expected probably due to me just burning them alone, but I was super impressed. I stored them in my spare room, in the house.

• Advertisement

Chemistry3 wrote: »
    Hi, I am wondering the same as they haven't replied as of yet. I did try the Blazers a couple of years ago and they did burn quicker than expected probably due to me just burning them alone, but I was super impressed. I stored them in my spare room, in the house.
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on two pallets of the Rocket Blaze but this is my concern, how long-burning are they.

I came across these https://www.greenfuelireland.com/hardwood-briquettes/ . I wonder does the name "All Night Long" mean that they are long burning. Only available in single packs and I don't know about that web site.

Advertisement