Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rank in life / Occupation

• 06-06-2020 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Just reading of a great great Aunts death record in 1927, on the record it says her occupation was a Lady. Now we know she was a spinster. I Don't have any grand illusions she was a person of prominence but just trying to piece together the type of lives they had and occupations, and haven't seen this before.

Regards.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think the term Lady or Gentleman generally meant someone who didn't work for a living.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

Hermy wrote: »
    I think the term Lady or Gentleman generally meant someone who didn't work for a living.

Cheers Hermy.
    End up stumbling on her occupation earlier in her younger days. Housekeeper/Laundress type of work..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hermy wrote: »

I could have worded that better.

Someone who could afford not to work for a living - a gentleman with property or a lady with an annuity for instance.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If she was previously a housekeeper/laundress, could she have come into money? Agree with Hermy, 'Lady' was usually a woman of independent means.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

spurious wrote: »
    If she was previously a housekeeper/laundress, could she have come into money? Agree with Hermy, 'Lady' was usually a woman of independent means.

My great aunt was a maid/companion for many years; her employers left her an annuity and a nice bequest on which she lived for the rest of her life until she died at a ripe old age in the 1960s. Not sure I'd call her a lady though, she loved toddling down to the pub for a whiskey and stole my ice cream (at least once).

Having said that, "lady" usually referred to a woman of independent means, often living off dividends or an annuity, as in Great Aunty Mary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

Thanks All.
    She lived in a decent sized house in Sorrento Road, Dalkey.
    And was always listed as head of household.

Advertisement