Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Argos catalogue = Price Increases

• 25-07-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Picked up the new Argos catalogue today, so much for prices coming down is all I can say :rolleyes: :mad:

Below is just a few examples compared to the last catalogue / yesterdays prices, I'm really shocked to see so many items go up in price.

(Washing machines, dryers, fridges and freezers have dropped).
    617/9368 - Office chair - €119.99 was €112.99
    617/0996 - Car seat office chair - €172.99 was €149.99
    617/0972 - Gas lift chair - €49.99 was €44.79

617/1304 - PC trolley - €22.79 was €20.79
    617/9447 - Curved PC trolley - €67.99 was €55.79
    617/9825 - Filing cabinet - €52.99 was €44.79
    619/1126 - PC Workstation - €127.99 was €104.99
    617/1830 - Curvy wall desk - €104.99 was €89.99

643/2531 - Wardrobe - €269.99 was €239.99
    666/1467 - Double bed - €283.99 was 269.99
    667/6050 - High sleeper - €397.99 was €369.99
    664/4587 - Single Cabin Bed - €425.99 was €399.99

417/3098 - Glass Flueless Gas Fire - €699.99 was €599.99
    710/4741 - Maxisteam Wallpaper Stripper - €35.79 was €27.79
    711/2238 - Wet & Dry vac - €121.99 was €97.99
    740/2429 - RAC 5 in 1 compressor - €59.99 was €44.79
    740/3284 - Car seat covers & mats - €38.79 was €29.79
    705/3225 - Metal Shed 6x4ft - €173.99 was €139.99
    675/7852 - 1TB USB Hard Drive - €159.99 was €125.99

etc....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Get used to it.

Wrigleys have a 10% price increase from monday into my store.
    I hear Coke is coming in 2 weeks.
    Cadbury have reduced a lot of their sizes recently instead of an price increase, but still charge the same (stealth increase)

Thats all that come to mind but I am sure there are others.

Irish price cuts my arse !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

argos are famous for their non-offers where they advertise a fantastic deal but they have already had the item on sale maybe €50 cheaper and simply raised the price so they could reduce it. most of the new offers are actually more expensive than last week even when the same products were half price but now are only €5 or even €1 off!
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID72/14572572/c_1/2|category_root|Kitchen+and+laundry|14572487/c_2/3|cat_14572487|Laundry+and+cleaning|14572563/c_3/4|cat_14572563|Linen+baskets+and+bags|14572572/r_001/1|Price+Cut|Yes|1.htm

most of the argos stuff can be bought cheaper in your locan town centre shops and the money at least stays with irish companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not really a Consumer Issue - More suited to Rip Off Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Here's another example, one of their "Lowest Priced" deals:

New catalogue price - 25/07/2009

argosprinter2.jpg

Old catalogue price - 24/07/2009

argosprinter1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

ARGOS ARE PROBABLY THE MOST EXPENSIVE STORE IN IRELAND / UK FOR 90% OF THE PRODUCTS THEY SELL.

Sorry about the caps - but some people just don't get it!

Argos, Debenhams & Homebase are far and away the three most expensive stores in ireland for the goods they sell. Small one person independent retailers beat these huge multinationals on virtually every product.

proof - Yes, Survey done last February by company I work for found Debenhams & Argos were on average 23% more expensive for a range of over 100 brand name products surveyed than the client's business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Blinky_09

Amazing that despite all the comments about rip-off prices that the latest Argos catalogue has increased prices, despite all their claims to the contrary.

Of course, the increased prices are on the likes of furniture items that you cannot buy as easily elsewhere or order for delivery from their stores in the North!

Was going to buy 2 bedside lockers and a dressing table. Price in the old catalogue was 74.79 for the lockers - now 89.99!! Dressing table was 284.99 - now 299.99!! Good to see the likes of Argos think it is still ok to rip us all off. Will look to buy the furniture from someone who won't rip us off - better luck next time Argos.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Argos prices have gone up alright - a bag set for which we paid 14.99 is now 19.99. A lot of bags have gone up by a euro. Their cheapest HDD camcorder is dearer than last years cheapest.

However a lot of commentators did say that UK prices were going to go up due to them having to use relatively weaker sterling to buy all that stuff from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

i wear these ear rings on page 94, item 19.

when i first bought them 2 years ago they were 45

then last year they were increased to 52.99

now there 68.79

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

i wear these ear rings on page 94, item 19.

when i first bought them 2 years ago they were 45

then last year they were increased to 52.99

now there 68.79

Good investment, a new kind of savings plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Roll on IKEA, that will hammer Argos and B&Q/Atlantic Homecare.

A quick glance at nordie Argos prices tells you Argos is not the first port of call in trying to get a bargain in ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I bought a SONY PORTABLE DAB/FM RADIO XDR-M1 there last Christmas for €49.99.
    Now the same one is €79.99.
    FFS:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Yep, lots of things there are mad prices, got necklace 3 years ago 15 euro, now 25!! Rip off even before you take their mad euro/sterling rate into account :(

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

You must have got that through a special deal because in one of last years catalogues that radio was €74.99, now its up to €79.99, I know because I was going to buy it.

Mind you the Sony Centre (located only a stones throw from Argos in Patrick St, Cork) had that exact same radio priced at €99 but later decreased to €74.99, no doubt due to the Argos price.

Mary Harney once famously said "shop around" and she was right.

Are you sure it's the same one ? Only one I can find at €79.99 is the XDRS55 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

My sister was looking at a 19" LCD tv in the spring summer catalogue for €290. Went in yesterday and it was €320 in the new catalogue. Drove down to Curry's instead where all the televisions seemed better value and picked up one for €280.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old

Absolam wrote: »
    Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old
    That may be true, but the same politicians are telling us prices are coming down, not to shop up north, shop local and support Irish businesses and jobs. How can we do that when we are been taken for a mug and walked all over be our own government :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stoblerone

People will just have to stand up and just say "Feck Off" when they are charged above the odds.

Just remember that some of these retailers only charge inflated prices because.... well just because they can!!:eek:

Seeing that the price of my Canon printers' ink had increased by 30%, I had to voice my disgust.

This was the reply to my email::rolleyes:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your price enquiry.

At Argos we believe we offer excellent value for money our prices do however have to in some part reflect the current economic climate. We are sorry that you are disappointed with some of our pricing but are confident that our customers will understand.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0845 640 2020.

Regards,

Dean Goulden
    Argos Direct E-Commerce Customer Service Team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

hellboy99 wrote: »
    That may be true, but the same politicians are telling us prices are coming down, not to shop up north, shop local and support Irish businesses and jobs. How can we do that when we are been taken for a mug and walked all over be our own government :mad:

Argos are british as are most of the overcharging stores. I have a small independent store near an argos store and dispite my buying power being tiny compared to Argos, I can profitably sell the items that I stock that are also in Argos at an average 20% - 25% less than the Argos price. Same goes for similar products in Debenhams.

Basically, local IRISH businesses HAVE brought prices down - please support us rather than UK multiples.

• Advertisement

mcaul wrote: »
    Argos are british as are most of the overcharging stores. I have a small independent store near an argos store and dispite my buying power being tiny compared to Argos, I can profitably sell the items that I stock that are also in Argos at an average 20% - 25% less than the Argos price. Same goes for similar products in Debenhams.

Basically, local IRISH businesses HAVE brought prices down - please support us rather than UK multiples.

Anyone can sell stuff cheaper than Argos, even in the UK. Saying that most of the "overcharging" stores are British is a bit of a joke really, given that none of them would be here, were all the Irish retailers so cheap in the first place.

Take the German market, where everything is cheap. If it were not, the likes of Tesco would be in there, but they're not, because they can't compete with the German prices.

As Ireland was (and still is to a certain degree) a robbers' paradise, the foreigners couldn't get in here quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

ejmaztec wrote: »
    As Ireland was (and still is to a certain degree) a robbers' paradise, the foreigners couldn't get in here quick enough.

Pity the landlords can't see this. Rent of a regular size store in Liffey Valley increased from €165,000 to €380,000 in 2006.

My choice was to get out or charge customers more. I chose to get out.

Its not the Irish retailers making the money - its the landlords who are charging twice the price of a similar store in a similar location in Germany / Uk etc.

Thiough finally some of them are coming to their senses.

Pity the landlords can't see this. Rent of a regular size store in Liffey Valley increased from €165,000 to €380,000 in 2006.

My choice was to get out or charge customers more. I chose to get out.

Its not the Irish retailers making the money - its the landlords who are charging twice the price of a similar store in a similar location in Germany / Uk etc.

Thiough finally some of them are coming to their senses.

I know the landlords are robbers, having seen the phenomenal amounts that retailers pay in the various "malls" around the country. Even in the small Manor West complex in Tralee, the likes of Harvey Norman (where the unit isn't big enough to include furniture) and Petmania are having to cough up about €200,000 each year. Add the wage bill and other running costs, and they have to shift a mountain of goods before they can break even.

I can see these kind of rents being re-negotiated downwards, after the retailers threaten to take off, and the landlords knowing damn well that another tenant won't be found for a month of Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Seeing that the price of my Canon printers' ink had increased by 30%, I had to voice my disgust.

At Argos we believe we offer excellent value for money our prices do however have to in some part reflect the current economic climate. We are sorry that you are disappointed with some of our pricing but are confident that our customers will understand.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at order.enquiries@argos.co.uk or call us on 0845 640 2020.

Regards,

Dean Goulden

what a cop out response? "our prices do however have to in some part reflect the current economic climate"

i would think the above would be in relation to reduced prices not a price increase.

Argos are a joke anyway. anyone ever try to return faulty goods??

but thats a different stroy.

Argos are british as are most of the overcharging stores.

So I shouldn't shop here in the south either, in Argos, Currys, PC World, HMV, Tescos, Spar and every other UK owned and non Irish owned business... and support the Irish workers in these stores :rolleyes:

I'd love to shop in my local Irish owned corner shop but I'm not going to pay double for a loaf of bread or milk etc... that I can get for half the price in my local Tesco store and even cheaper in Aldi, Lidl and cheaper again up north.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭marinbike

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Picked up the new Argos catalogue today, so much for prices coming down is all I can say :rolleyes: :mad:

Below is just a few examples compared to the last catalogue / yesterdays prices, I'm really shocked to see so many items go up in price.

(Washing machines, dryers, fridges and freezers have dropped).

Argus are Greedy
    . I certainly won't be buying off them anymore having seen their price increases you outlined. Outrageous increases.

Only one real reason for it: Greed.

Im going up north to buy some furniture and Doors/door handles for my house extension. I priced down here and compared it to Cookstown and I am saving 50% up north. I told the retailer about the price difference but he wouldn't budge on prices so I told him that I would not buy off him.

Stupid cowboy retailers down here think they can charge you whatever they like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭marinbike

Regards,

Dean Goulden

Thats a Robot response from Argos! They didn't even address your complaint.

marinbike wrote: »
    Thats a Robot response from Argus! They didn't even address your complaint.

It's always best to spell the name right, just in case Argos think that you're having a go at another business.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

prendy wrote: »
    Argos are a joke anyway. anyone ever try to return faulty goods??
    Yes, they have an amazing returns policy, most of the time its the only reason I would buy stuff there, and I hear that from a fair few people I know too.

I know a guy whos dvd recorder broke, they were fairly new at the time, it was 10 months on I think. They no longer had the model he got so they gave him the newer one from the same brand, it was a higher spec, but it was now cheaper just due to technology prices falling. They not only gave him the better model but vouchers for the difference in the original price!

I have heard people changing items without receipts too, only CC details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement