Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Athletic - Subscription - £1 per month for 12 months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dirtyden wrote: »
    What does it cover? Is it mainly US based sports?

Football (soccer) coverage is international with excellent articles on English and European football and a number of writers formerly with the big English papers (e.g. Daniel Taylor ex of the Guardian).

Other than that it's mostly US sports, and Boxing.

I subbed on a decent annual deal last year but TBH I'm not reading it that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Absolute rag with a clear agenda

I'm placing my money on this poster thinking it's "The Atlantic". Makes the comment even funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I'm placing my money on this poster thinking it's "The Atlantic". Makes the comment even funnier.

And why would a Trump lover get facts and accuracy in the way of a rant anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Great deal, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Thanks OP. I had let my original annual subscription expire so I jumped on this. Their level of in-depth coverage of football is unrivaled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

My sub was to renew in Oct at $59.99. I like the product a lot but assume I can get it a bit cheaper than that somehow. I paid $29.99 for first 12 mths and was happy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

So it's all weird yank sports like Gridiron, Baseball, Basketball etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Nope, very good coverage of the Premier League. Decent for internationals, but not much on Ireland really. Not sure about other European leagues, but I think it's meant to be good

For a quid it's worth signing up, you can cancel anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Asus X540L wrote: »

Given that you clearly can't read it's probably wasted on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I have it already. got it on black friday for €15 for the year

Really good for Boxing, MMA and Premier league/Scottish football.

I particularly like the interviews they do, im a newcastle fan so previous player ones have been good.

Their was a great one with Stephen Ireland last year also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

How good is their coverage of the Kilkenny Junior B football championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Is it access to all the sports and all articles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

Cape Clear wrote: »
    How good is their coverage of the Kilkenny Junior B football championship?

ridiculous question

Esse85 wrote: »
    Is it access to all the sports and all articles?

Yes including their US sister site.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Athletic's business model seems to be seriously flawed. They are a step away from giving away subscriptions at this point. I've been subscribed for a few years now and every few months they seem to become more desperate to hold onto subscribers. Something's gotta give eventually but let's enjoy it until that day comes. This offer is unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bugsyb4

Thanks OP great offer.

Was signed up until New Years for €26.99 but looked there and said renewal would be €64.99 which is way too much although excellent content on offer.

Same as other posters said signed up with different email to what I am using, will take the hit of paying for it twice for the next 4 months at an extra cost of €1.10 a month :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Oat23 wrote: »
    The Athletic's business model seems to be seriously flawed. They are a step away from giving away subscriptions at this point. I've been subscribed for a few years now and every few months they seem to become more desperate to hold onto subscribers. Something's gotta give eventually but let's enjoy it until that day comes. This offer is unbeatable.

I'd be interested to see the split between UK and US based services. In the US, it's big news if a good beat writer for a specific team or city is poached and people would legitimately pay to keep reading their work. Over here/in the UK, not so much. Paywall journalism is already barely keeping its head above water, there just isn't the same appetite for a specific reporter over here. Most people will just read the next (free) man up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

Oat23 wrote: »

They are flush with venture capitalist funds at the moment but even so apparently had 600k subscribers at the end of 2019. Even at the low intro price of 12 euro for the year thats 7.2million a year that would be loss making if that model was to stick around. Covid must be reducing subscriber numbers too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

duffman13 wrote: »
    ...apparently had 600k subscribers at the end of 2019
    This offer is, apparently, to celebrate 1 million subscribers

duffman13 wrote: »
    They are flush with venture capitalist funds at the moment but even so apparently had 600k subscribers at the end of 2019. Even at the low intro price of 12 euro for the year thats 7.2million a year that would be loss making if that model was to stick around. Covid must be reducing subscriber numbers too

They have annual subscriptions of $60 million but are still not profitable. They have an interesting business model but I am not convinced that it will be sustainable in the long term with them doing such deep discounts.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/09/the-athletic-hits-1-million-subscribers-after-enduring-sports-shutdown.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Whats so special about it ?

torrevieja wrote: »
    Whats so special about it ?

Good journalism. Imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I signed up for this offer, having had an account when it launched in the UK originally. I'm already starting to be reminded why I unsubscribed the first time. A huge amount of guff and fan-placating articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭qaz123

Thanks OP. Never signed up before but often see links to articles I'd like to read so for 12 euro for the year it's a great deal. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Just wondering if i was to cancel when is the best time to cancel after the year is it a month before hand or does the subscription stop immediately thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭RonanC

torrevieja wrote: »
    Just wondering if i was to cancel when is the best time to cancel after the year is it a month before hand or does the subscription stop immediately thanks

It auto-renews - I took out a discounted sub in August 2019 and didn't get any renewal reminders, just an email 12 months later to say that I had been renewed (at full price!)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

RonanC wrote: »
    It auto-renews - I took out a discounted sub in August 2019 and didn't get any renewal reminders, just an email 12 months later to say that I had been renewed (at full price!)

I think the question he was asking is if he signs up today and cancels tomorrow, will he still get the 12 months? Or do you need to cancel next August/September?

I think the question he was asking is if he signs up today and cancels tomorrow, will he still get the 12 months? Or do you need to cancel next August/September?

It bills monthly so you'd cancel after 11 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Thanks OP, signed up for this last week and the few articles I've read so far put it way ahead of any other publication.

For example, I'm a Leeds fan, and despite the loss to Liverpool, the commentary on the match from Phil Hay and Michael Coxes tactics analysis is simply unparalleled anywhere.

Also, the comments section is like thejournal/the42 - except it's far more indepth, insightful and less toxic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Is there any new deals for existing customers. mine runs out 2nd Dec ( i did last years black Friday deal)

they want $60 now which I wont be going with

Advertisement