Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-stop from Dublin to many US cities from only €297 roundtrip with Aer Lingus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Cabin Baggage only flights!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Wonder if you can book a bag for just the return leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes, add about 50-60 on to reach fare to include a bag

• Registered Users Posts: 23 manutdreds

hand luggage is enough these days.
    who needs a check in bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

manutdreds wrote: »
    hand luggage is enough these days.
    who needs a check in bag?

For a 2 week trip to the states? Don't want to spend half the holiday in a fecking launderette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

For a 2 week trip to the states? Don't want to spend half the holiday in a fecking launderette.

Best tip I got from my old boss who travelled a lot for work was to drop you clothes in to be cleaned while travelling. I do it now on all work trips, come home with a suitcase of clean clothes. The US is perfect for it, all hotels usually have a service or even a laundry room.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Regardless about a hotel or having a laundrette nearby it's not going to suit everybody.

The price is without bags which can be easily added like purchasing a pre selected seat. If you don't want it then so be it, doesn't detract from the bargain alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If you're willing to fly cabin bags only I really do recommend Norwegian for New York at least (once their planes are back the prices will go back to around 200).

I go a lot, and I normally do Norwegian. I did United last week because of the 787 thing, and honestly. Plane touchdown to city centre from Newark took 15 minutes less than from Stewart, but was wwwwaaayyyy more stressful.

• booked for a week

10kg cabin bag more than enough.

bit of a pain to pay fifty quid to guarantee seats together but still a bargain

thanks op

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

booked for a week

10kg cabin bag more than enough.

thanks op

jaysis 50 quid to get seats together, what fresh hell is this? Knew Ryanair charge 3 or 4 euro but 50 quid, that is taking the p1ss

• Advertisement

• Muahahaha wrote: »
    jaysis 50 quid to get seats together, what fresh hell is this? Knew Ryanair charge 3 or 4 euro but 50 quid, that is taking the p1ss

ryanair charge a good bit more than that, sorry to be the bad news bearer.

bringing a youngun with us, otherwise id have taken the chance at check in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

My missus would love to save €100 round trip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You will get seats together. I never check-in in advance with aerlingus, show up on the day and always get seats together.

Ryanair do the random seat assignment nonsense in order to force people to buy seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Let them try check your child in somewhere else, either ye get a break or they're seat neighbour will swap pretty quickly!

ah right didnt know that. I remember Ryanair introduced the fee about two years back at around 4 euro, how much is it these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

We just picked up DUB-LAX return for 4 people @ €456 each, Smart Fare. October flights.

Not half bad and if you only needed carry on, to get to the West Coast for effectively 200 each way is even more impressive.

Flew the same route, same fare last year for €514 return.

USA is just as affordable as a European holiday these days. Malaga with a checked bag in the same week is €319.
    The difference in price is now basically a night out.

• Muahahaha wrote: »
    ah right didnt know that. I remember Ryanair introduced the fee about two years back at around 4 euro, how much is it these days?

ach id be throwin a figure at it tbh, off the top of my head its up around thirteen quid now but i think that includes priority queue as well maybe? def gone up anyway!

ach id be throwin a figure at it tbh, off the top of my head its up around thirteen quid now but i think that includes priority queue as well maybe? def gone up anyway!

ah right, I was just interested as at the time it was introduced there was a lot of complaints and basically O'Leary turned around and said "sure its only 4 euro". Doesnt surprise me at all now to learn that it has been hiked substantially, that was obviously always their plan !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

mloc123 wrote: »
    You will get seats together. I never check-in in advance with aerlingus, show up on the day and always get seats together.

Ryanair do the random seat assignment nonsense in order to force people to buy seats.
    +1
    did anyone care or think about "sitting together" up to 2 years ago when Ryanair started acting the mickey with random allocation and middle seats. (Note how "Ryanair" is spellt differently to "Aer Lingus" - a hint that they are not the same airline)
    Ryanair decided that sitting together was suddenly a thing to be valued, and to be paid for, and now customers clamour for this new fangled feature even when travelling with rational airlines that allow you to choose your seats for free (together) nearer the date!

I think Ryanair are the Apple of the aviation world.
    Nobody but Apple could get away with being the first to abandon the headphone jack or going from detachable(replaceable!) battery to built in battery - but once they did it then suddenly it was grand and everyone looks upon their way as the new normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

+1
    did anyone care or think about "sitting together" up to 2 years ago when Ryanair started acting the mickey with random allocation and middle seats. (Note how "Ryanair" is spellt differently to "Aer Lingus" - a hint that they are not the same airline)
    Ryanair decided that sitting together was suddenly a thing to be valued, and to be paid for, and now customers clamour for this new fangled feature even when travelling with rational airlines that allow you to choose your seats for free (together) nearer the date!

Nobody but Apple could get away with being the first to abandon the headphone jack or going from detachable(replaceable!) battery to built in battery - but once they did it then suddenly it was grand and everyone looks upon their way as the new normal.

Apple batteries are replaceable. Who needs headphone jack. Bluetooth is the way to go.

• Advertisement

• +1

I would rather my return flight to London was 40 euro with random allocated seats + some people paying 8 euro to reserve seats, than for everyone's return ticket to be 45 euro.

And comparing Ryanair to Apple is a bit silly. Apple encourage you to buy accessories so they can pay for their large marketing budget. Ryanair encourage you to buy add-ons so that they can advertise their flight as the cheapest on that route, while still making the route profitable by having (some) people buy the add-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

You'll always get seated together with a child anyway, and I know you used to be able to ring customer service directly once online check in was open and they would organise a family to sit together if you couldn't get 3 seats together online. I've done it last year on Dub-Lanzarote when the flight was full and there wasn't 3 seats together on the online check in, best option was 2 in row 30 and 1 in row 29 type of seating but rang and got 3 seats in row 7 without any charges. Couldn't do that with Ryanair and their algorithms.

• well im older, wiser and down some money

twas ever thus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Also, no need to pay for 2 seats together, check in 1 person and choose free random seat, the pay for the seat beside them for the next person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

Also, no need to pay for 2 seats together, check in 1 person and choose free random seat, the pay for the seat beside them for the next person.
    This might sound stupid but is there not a reasonable chance that the seat(s) beside the first person are already chosen by somebody else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

pack for 10 days easily in cabin baggage, wash your clothes once, problem solved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

pack for 10 days easily in cabin baggage, wash your clothes once, problem solved.

Pack for 4 days and just buy new clothes when you're out there, pay for hold luggage on return trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

slave1 wrote: »
    Pack for 4 days and just buy new clothes when you're out there, pay for hold luggage on return trip

Even better option.
    Throw a few presents for family and friends into the checked bag and a few bits and bobs for yourself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Why do people get so bent out of shape on the 'quality' of an airline for 6 or 7 hours? As long as you get to the destination on time and in one piece, who cares? Also: if you are relying on an airline's own in-flight entertainment, you are doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement