Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MyMemory Branded 256gb USB Drive 3.0 €28.73

• 08-03-2019 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭

Mymemory are selling their own brand of USB drive with a 256gb capacity and its USB 3.0 for €28.73

Has anyone ever used their brand before? Any problems or issues with their drives? The reviews on the site seem good and it's cheaper than buying a sandisk one etc.

Link

https://www.mymemory.ie/mymemory-256gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive-red.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I avoid own brand flash devices mainly because of the **** warranty. Most of the big brands (Sandisk, Kingston, Lexar) have good long warranties... I just had a 3.5 year old Lexar device RMA'd and fully refunded after it failed. I bought it from MyMemory, and their reposnse to a warranty query was:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Our Lexar memory products are covered by a 6 month warranty, please be advised that this product is now unfortunately outside of the warranty period with us.

It seems that this device has 2 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

gerryk wrote: »
    I avoid own brand flash devices mainly because of the **** warranty. Most of the big brands (Sandisk, Kingston, Lexar) have good long warranties... I just had a 3.5 year old Lexar device RMA'd and fully refunded after it failed. I bought it from MyMemory, and their reposnse to a warranty query was:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Our Lexar memory products are covered by a 6 month warranty, please be advised that this product is now unfortunately outside of the warranty period with us.

It seems that this device has 2 year warranty.

Thank you.

I'll probably give it a miss so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Check the speeds. Some USB sticks are very slow.

I don't know about this one but they don't give speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

1st off it is over the limit for VAT to be charged, but I think it is unlikely to happen.

the mymemory stick has a 2 year warranty.

The shape of it makes it look like it is the same shell as the integral they well at 1cent more

https://www.mymemory.ie/integral-256gb-black-usb-3-0-flash-drive-209.html

the integral does not have warranty listed, but does have speed.

Read Speed 20MB/s
    Write Speed 14MB/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Oh thats bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Another one worth considering is the PNY USB3 256GB flash drive on 7Dayshop, which also has a 2 year warranty. It's £24 delivered shipped from Guernsey. I ordered it last Sunday and it came on Wednesday.

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/pny-attache-usb-3-0-flash-drive-usb-3-0-memory-stick-80mb-s-256gb-fd256att430-ef

It's rated at 20MB write and 80MB read, although the one I ordered reads a lot faster.

Average write speed, after copying about 27GB to it:
    Fx3Gk60.png
    1549.408MB/min = 25.8MB/s

Average read speed, after ejecting it and plugging it back in:
    Js1DwQ7.png
    12260.87MB/min = 204.3MB/s

After seeing how quickly it read those files, I wondered if it had some files cached. So I did a quick copy of a 3.8GB ISO file that was placed earlier on the stick back to the PC:
    5JJRmkG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

a 256gb microsd is the same price.
    https://www.mymemory.ie/mymemory-256gb-v30-pro-micro-sd-sdxc-a1-uhs-1-u3-adapter-100mb-s.html

I carry a microsd around in my wallet rather than a usb key. I have a tiny adaptor for it to use as a usb. I know a regular USB might be accepted in more devices but it does me fine most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

I have a 128mb microSD card in my drawer at home (possibly a 64mb too) . Incredible that 2000 times that storage is available in the same form factor for probably cheaper than it was back then!

Gotta love Moore's Law

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I too have switched to microSDs. They are so much more versatile; smaller and you can reuse them in so many electronics. And now the capacity matches USB drives, even exceeds.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/2/25/18239433/1tb-microsd-card-sandisk-micron-price-release

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

shocksy wrote: »
    Mymemory

A bit off topic but two of the last three orders I made from MyMemory never showed up. They refunded me so no problem there but there's definitely an issue with stuff going missing to IE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭tphase

Hugh_C wrote: »
    A bit off topic but two of the last three orders I made from MyMemory never showed up. They refunded me so no problem there but there's definitely an issue with stuff going missing to IE
    Do you know of anyone else whose orders never showed up?
    I had 4 orders this year, all arrived in 7-8 days. There have been a few bargain alerts for MyMemory recently and I didn't notice anyone complaining of stuff not showing up.
    2 out 3 orders not showing up for you is bad luck but it's a stretch to suggest there's a particular problem with shipments to Ireland.
    Good that they refunded you though, how long did you have to wait for that?

tphase wrote: »
    2 out 3 orders not showing up for you is bad luck but it's a stretch to suggest there's a particular problem with shipments to Ireland.
    Good that they refunded you though, how long did you have to wait for that?

20 working days I think.

I'm not sure what else to conclude tbh - they didn't arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭tphase

Hugh_C wrote: »
    I'm not sure what else to conclude tbh - they didn't arrive.
    I'm only pointing out that just because you didn't get 2 packages doesn't indicate there is a particular problem with shipments from this company to Ireland.
    On the upside, there's always a chance that your packages are just stuck somewhere and will show up out of the blue;) (happened me a few years ago, stuff showed up 3 months after the insurance paid out)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

No problems with orders not showing up here either.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I've just had another non-delivery, this time to a UK address. Something's up. This is the 3rd time ...

Is 256GB the biggest usb you can buy I have 128GB does 516GB 3.0 USB

Advertisement