Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Times Ireland/Sunday Times Ireland

• 07-01-2019 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭

Dropping subscription price from €21 to €5 with 1st month free.

I've been a subscriber for years (Hello iPad and Bose speaker) and was about to pull the plug but that's a great price.

Number for exisiting subscribers to change is 1800 949687.

https://store.thetimes.ie/?CMP=EXT-ireland-in_paper-24_09_2015-932-0-0-0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Birneybau wrote: »

I've been a subscriber for years (Hello iPad and Bose speaker) and was about to pull the plug but that's a great price.

Significant drop in price - are there warning signs for the paper I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nah they'll prob just put the print edition up to €3.20 on a Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Wonder if the Irish Times will follow suit. That's still 16 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Do you get full access to the Sunday Times epaper or is it just access to web site?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭terencemc

Just to confirm the sunday times is the same edition that you can buy in newsagents?

The daily paper is a quasi english/irish version not to be confused with the irish times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Glebee wrote: »
    Do you get full access to the Sunday Times epaper or is it just access to web site?

The Times daily and the Sunday Times, every last bit

I use the iPad app, great. Download editions to read offline. Also works on any old Android tablet.

terencemc wrote: »
    Just to confirm the sunday times is the same edition that you can buy in newsagents?

The daily paper is a quasi english/irish version not to be confused with the irish times?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

Number for existing subscribers to change is 1800 949687.

:confused:

But the offer is for new subscribers only?

"Who can take up this offer?

Ireland residents aged 18 or over.

New subscribers to The Digital Pack only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Ah sh1t I re contracted in November at discounted 50% for 6 months :(

Edit: I see its only new customers

Number for existing subscribers to change is 1800 949687.

:confused:

But the offer is for new subscribers only?

"Who can take up this offer?

Ireland residents aged 18 or over.

New subscribers to The Digital Pack only.

As I mentioned in the o.p.

https://mobile.twitter.com/roakleyIRL/status/1082218088978960384

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Well I was thinking of cancelling (though been saying that for years). I must contact them tomorrow and see if they'll give me the new price or away I go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

And 5 minutes on the phone, no hassle and changed! I'm actually quite impressed!

And 5 minutes on the phone, no hassle and changed! I'm actually quite impressed!

Nice one. Will get on to them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jkbah

Excellent. Nice one, cancelled about 2 months ago. Got the iPad and Bose speaker. They're still going strong too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thanks Birney. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭webpal

Can you pay with phone credit?

webpal wrote: »
    Can you pay with phone credit?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Been on the “international pack” for £5 a month for a while. Rolling monthly contract.

Worth looking into if this goes back up to the old pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭ablelocks

hmmm

€16 euro a month saved

over a 24 month "contract" that's equal to €384

that's equal to a new ipad to read it on.

excellent.

and to think i had decided to cancel

(mind you, when I call them tomorrow, I'll still tell them the reasons i was going to cancel - the epaper crashes a lot, there's often graphics missing, there's a huge preachiness in the last week or so about drinking and diet, the extent of Irish news coverage isn't as good as they had said it would be, and on the "normal" news app, Irish coverage is non-existent apart from Brexit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

I couldn't read your twitter link - my device simply loathes twitter so refuses to show tweets! But I phoned the number you provided and got the deal, many thanks.

Curious that the ST should state in the Ts & Cs that the offer is for new subscribers only, when it clearly isn't! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

Thanks OP. Cancelled my Irish Times sub and signed back up for this. Good deal.

Irreverent wrote: »

Separate entities but ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I signed up too but it’s not as pleasant as the Guardian to read.
    I want an epaper that’s laid out like a hard copy, is there a times app like the Guardian version. The Guardian downloads every morning at 4 AM and I tap on it to open it. There are no adds on the Guardian either and a lot of adds on the Times version.
    I have a subscription to the Irish Times and the adds are very annoying there too.
    It’s not really clear how long the 5 Euro offer is available for, I hope it isn’t sneaked back up to full price soon.

Nice one OP. I’m a recent subscriber and I was happy even paying €12 for 12 weeks. I’ll ring them up tomorrow to move over to the new sub.

It seems like this is on the back of a great turn around by The Times over the last year. I think people are coming around to paying for quality, factual journalism be it right of center.

Times Newspapers in profit as subscriptions rise

Increased turnover and reduced expenses helped the publisher of The Times and The Sunday Times to make an annual after-tax profit of £9.6 million, compared with a loss of £8 million in the previous financial year.

Subscriptions to The Times and The Sunday Times passed half a million in the past 12 months, reaching 502,000, according to end-of-year accounts to July 2018 filed with Companies House. Digital subscribers have overtaken print subscribers for the first time and account for 51 per cent of the total, the company said. In addition, 3.8 million people have registered to access Times and Sunday Times articles under a system that allows non-subscribers to read two articles a week for free

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a75329f8-12c2-11e9-8239-c0a124428b01

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

Irreverent wrote: »

One big difference.

To cancel an Irish Times sub, you simply email them and it's done.

To cancel a Times sub you have to call them and talk to their "cancelations" team who, just like sky, try and wear you down and take a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Signed up. If I was buying a Sunday Paper it would be the Sunday Times so it seems like a good deal. Will give it a try anyway, for 5 euro a mont it seems great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

cisk wrote: »
    Nice one OP. I’m a recent subscriber and I was happy even paying €12 for 12 weeks. I’ll ring them up tomorrow to move over to the new sub.

I contacted them yesterday via chat, they told me I was on a discounted 50% for 6 months and in contract until Nov 19.
    I can then move to the new price plan when its over.

I'll try them again today on the number provided on twitter and see the story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Thanks for the heads up op...I too am a beneficiary of the iPad and bose speaker so have been happy to subscribe! Does anyone know if there is a number for calling outside of Ireland? I'm still abroad so can't dial the 1 800 number but would like to pick up this deal for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up op...I too am a beneficiary of the iPad and bose speaker so have been happy to subscribe! Does anyone know if there is a number for calling outside of Ireland? I'm still abroad so can't dial the 1 800 number but would like to pick up this deal for sure...
    Try using Skype. I use it to ring UK free phone all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Many thanks for highlighting this great offer.

I've been a subscriber for about 2 years since the time of the free iPad offer but it's great to be able to reduce the monthly subscription from €21 to €5.

It took a max of 5 minutes on the phone and absolutely no problem at all to change, plus it is a monthly rolling contract.

Great way to start the New Year!:)

Advertisement