Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swift code / IBAN

• 10-07-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Any ideas where I can find a list of swiftcode / Iban addresses for AIB, or do I have to ring them up to find it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

An IBAN (International Bank Account Number) is specific to each account you hold. I don't know about AIB, but on Bank of Ireland statements the IBAN is displayed just below the account number on the top right hand side. If you don't have a statement your branch will be able to give you the IBAN for each account. For the SWIFT code, again ring your branch and they'll give it to you. It should be the same code for all payments.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AIB swift code is AIBKIE2D

You must ring the branch or check your statement to get your IBAN number as it is unique to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭Rosita

What is the significance of an IBAN and Swift number?

Just that I was asked for them recently by someone to whom I had already given my bank account number and sort code and recived payment.

I am in the place on a work placement which is nearing its end and was just thought maybe it was a sign that I might be offered some kind of regular position by the employer if they were looking for such extra information.

Maybe I am reading something into it that is way off beam altogether, but the significance of these things has never dawned on me at all, not least because I had not heard of them before!

Does anyone have a layman's explanation as to why someone might need these along with account number and sort code? I presume it is some kind of extra security thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Ghostrider1

If you want to make a domestic payment (within the republic ) all you need is the sort code (on your bank card or bank statement) and the account numbers. however if you want to make a payment within Europe you need the IBAN and Swift . This is becace european banks do not have access to the Irish Clearing system.
    If you look at your IBAN number you will find in many cases it is a combination of the branch sort code and your account number.
    reason you may have been asked for it even though a payment was made in the past using the old sord code is that many of the Web based payments systems used the banks have moved over to IBAN and away from Domestic sort codes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭Rosita

Great. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 irishstu

Came across this
    http://www.csn.ul.ie/~martin/pages/iban.html

which seems useful - generates the IBAN for you

• Registered Users Posts: 16 socroni

irishstu wrote: »

Great link, it answered how the check digits are formulated.

Advertisement