Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing father and extended family

• 13-11-2018 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi all and apologies if this is in the wrong place but I'm trying to help a friend find her extended family and looking for advice on how to go about it
    She was born in the 1950's and brought up by her birth mother who to this day won't discuss her father. She knows his name and that he was from Dublin but she lives abroad and cant do anything and has asked for my help in finding any extended family.
    What should be my first step...I've tried Facebook but cant find any names that match there.
    Can I check any website to see if he's now dead and start backwards from there or do I need his full date of birth and death to find anything on him at all by going into the office that registers all this info.
    Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could try a search of newspapers for any mention of a death.
    This isn't really the place for tracing possibly living people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Do you have your friends birth record and does that give any clues?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

We can't discuss tracing living people on this forum.

However: no online death records post 1966 (www.irishgenealogy.ie) but you can search by name in the General Register Office on Werburgh St up to the present day. However, you won't know if he's the right person just by his death cert.

I'd actually advise your friend to do a DNA test and try to find cousin matches.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement