Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subtle change in Ryanair's T+C

• 14-02-2005 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just booked a Ryanair flight tonight (41 euro return to Paris, thank you very much) and they now have this in their T+C
    Ryanair does not provide compensation for flights which are delayed or
    cancelled for reasons beyond Ryanair's control. You may therefore wish
    to ensure that you have suitable private insurance cover in force to
    cover such eventualities.

Ryanair does not provide meal vouchers or hotel accommodation for
    Flights which are delayed or cancelled for reasons beyond Ryanair's
    control.You may therefore wish to ensure that you have suitable private
    insurance cover in force to cover such eventualities.

where it used to say
    Ryanair does not provide meal vouchers or hotel accommodation for
    delayed or cancelled flights at any time.

Guess they will be complying with the new EU legislation...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's a softening of their position then. Good news I reckon, even if getting a few quid out of them will be as hard as ever. At least now it's not categorically ruled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

The big question is how will 'beyond our control' be defined? Ryanair planes are constantly in the air flying from one destination to another and onto a third etc. So a plane that flys from Stansted to Brussels in the morning could end up flying between Glasgow and Dublin in the evening. If fog delays the morning flight then obviously that is out of Ryanair's control. But what about the Glasgow -Dublin flight. It's the same plane so it will be running late but there's no fog at Dublin or Glasgow. So is the delay within Ryanair's control or not. You could argue that the later delays arise from the fact that Ryanair has no 'spare' planes to fill in when planes run late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I'd say it's beyond their control.
    Ryanair low cost model is based upon keeping the plane in the air as long as possible, as to make the plane as efficent as possible.
    An unforseable delay in one airport will lead to a delay being based on to the other flights that the plane has to make.
    If compensation is is to be issued to each passanger on each section of the route then Ryanair would have to pass this cost onto the consumer and the price of flights would start to increase sigfinicatly.

If you want to be put up for the night and given meals and accomodation then you can travel with "high-cost" airlines otherwise you can travel with low-cost airlines and save the money for the outlay of staying in a hotel in the unlikey event that you are delayed.

Although European legislation would disagree with me on the last point :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Orlando Wrong Headache

do ryanair take you to town if you dont turn up for a flight youve already payed for? ive made a booking for four but 1 mightnt be coming, should any problems arise since he is willing to forfeit what he payed for the flights?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They really don't care - they take the money off you, thats the end of their caring. You can not turn up and nowt happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

do ryanair take you to town if you dont turn up for a flight youve already payed for? ive made a booking for four but 1 mightnt be coming, should any problems arise since he is willing to forfeit what he payed for the flights?

If you choose airport checkin and pay online, then you have to pay the check in charge for all passengers including the person who will not be showing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Dont forget to claim back the taxes. Not sure how you go about it, but you dont have to pay tax on a flight you dont go on, so you can claim it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭lynchie

Jaysis.. thought they had changed their T&C's again till I realised this thread is almost 4 years old!!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Ryanairs business model is based on a certain percentage of people not turning up for flights, I think it is about 10%. On more than one occassion i've purchased tickets on spec and not used them. In theory they should refund the taxes but they don't.

With all the money I've saved over the years flying with Ryanair, i think I could afford a little extra expense if a flight is delayed or cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Dont forget to claim back the taxes. Not sure how you go about it, but you dont have to pay tax on a flight you dont go on, so you can claim it back.

No point, they charge you an admin fee which is almost equal to the tax you are due back :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

No point, they charge you an admin fee which is almost equal to the tax you are due back :rolleyes:

They certainly do. As do Aer Lingus and BMI Baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Orlando Wrong Headache

Not so bad then........

its online check in, so i shall just not check him in then. is that the best job yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Still if Aer lingus had their way only rich people would fly, the rest of us can catch the ferry, then the train.
    If you dont like ryanairs T+Cs, fly someone else.

Im flying to manchester return next week for the cost of the taxi to the airport. (30 euro return)
    I would much rather this than pay 200 euro return and be guarenteed a sandwich if the plane is late.

Advertisement