Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cavan Bear

Anyone know how many Syns in an Aldi Pakora? They are divine. Loads probably.

Product Syns
    Aldi The Deli Sweet Potato Pakora, chilled (200g pack) 8
    Is this the one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Cavan Bear wrote: »
    Product Syns
    Is this the one?

Precisely the ones I'm talking about. I'm addicted to them at the moment, I hope they're not high in syns?

Precisely the ones I'm talking about. I'm addicted to them at the moment, I hope they're not high in syns?

This is from the syns online on SW Website.
    Sorry...doesn't look very clear but it is 8 syns for 200g pack.

8 syns for the whole packet?

Sorry...doesn't look very clear but it is 8 syns for 200g pack.

Thanks for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

Has anyone been stuck on maintain for a while? I am at the moment even though I've upped my exercise. Wondering why this happens.

8 syns for the whole packet?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jewels0606

Winnie21 wrote: »
    Has anyone been stuck on maintain for a while? I am at the moment even though I've upped my exercise. Wondering why this happens.
    Muscle weighs heavier than fat
    So depends on the excercise
    Diet sees a loss on the scales
    Working out sees a loss in inches but not so much on the scales
    I'm open to be corrected on that though

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lilythepinked

I think you are correct on that.  I believe muscle helps burn fat as it uses more calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think you are correct on that.  I believe muscle helps burn fat as it uses more calories.

Just ask Ian Beale!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

jewels0606 wrote: »
    Muscle weighs heavier than fat
    So depends on the excercise
    Diet sees a loss on the scales
    Working out sees a loss in inches but not so much on the scales
    I'm open to be corrected on that though

I hear this trotted out a lot and while its definitely true, you really have to caviat it by asking what type of exercise a person is doing.

We don't know whether this poster has started weight training/TRX or similar or if they just mean that they've started walking more, which is not likely to build much muscle.

It is a good idea to keep an eye on your measurements as well as just the scales however, as thats the best way to understand how your body is changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 natmaxwell95

Hey guys. If you want to stay healthy you have to make sure that you get rid of all the deadly addictions - meaning smoking cigarettes, abusing alcohol or taking drugs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

From the Slimming World site, there is an article up today titled Myths and misconceptions:
    Myth: Muscle weighs more than fat, so it’s because of exercise that I’m not seeing the result on the scales

Answer: There’s no doubt that regular exercise strengthens and tones muscles, which is why it helps you look better in and out of clothes. Actually adding muscle, though, is not an easy task (just ask any bodybuilder!). It’s highly likely there’s a non-exercise related reason for the scales sticking.

Also:
    Is there such a thing as the slimmer’s plateau?

Answer:
    The simple answer is no. However, the full answer is a touch more complicated! Many members find, after Food Optimising for several weeks – even months – that they reach a sticking point. Despite great weight losses to begin with, those pounds just don’t shift! (We’ve all been there!)

Firstly, remember that it’s not unusual for weight losses to be inconsistent from week to week. All sorts of factors can affect our weight from the time of day the weighing takes place, the amount of clothing worn, differences in fluid retention etc. This is why we recommend you get weighed just once a week at around the same time, and wearing similar clothes. Seeing our weight loss over, say, a month gives us a much better guide to our progress.

Our weight loss tends to slow down or stop altogether, for one of the following three reasons:

We assume something is Free when it is not
    We underestimate Syns
    We stop counting Syns altogether.
    We can do this and still lose weight in the beginning, but not further down the line. Weight loss does generally slow down after the first few weeks too – where you might have experienced 5, 6, 7 or even 8lbs losses. Weight loss should generally settle to a steady rate as the body adjusts to your new way of eating and body fat is lost.

After Food Optimising for a while, it’s also easy for little habits to sneak in – to lick the lid of the kid’s creamy yogurt pot, to finish off the leftover oven chips, to be a little too generous with your Healthy Extra portions.

No matter how positive we are that we’re Food Optimising 100%, sometimes sneaky Syns creep in and can play havoc with our weight loss. (Mrs Ivy Been Good knows all about that!). We have a wealth of motivational tools to help you discover if any little habits might be scuppering your weight loss, and overcome them to get beautifully back on track… so whatever might be causing you to think ‘plateau’, take advantage of all the support offered, because you’ll be back on track in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

Hia, can anyone tell me if white cabbage is a speed food the same as green? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Hia, can anyone tell me if white cabbage is a speed food the same as green? Thanks.

Yep white, green and red cabbage all speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Week 2 S&P done another 4.5lb loss that's 10.5lbs gone in two weeks, my OH is down 9lbs, 3lb the first week and 6lb last night , one more week of it then its off on the stag for 5 days to mess it up completely :P

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

I am interested in the suggestions that ACV helps with weight loss/metabolism
    I have 3 lbs to get to my goal and finding it hard to shift the last few lbs to be honest I didn't have a huge amount to lost 1st 4lbs but it was a lot for me, 2 of my friends tried the ACV in water with lemon and minuka honey added and both lost 3lbs each in the week.
    I am both curious and sceptical about trying it as I am wondering would it be on a temporary loss and more importantly what it would do to the intestines:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Hi guys,
    Just weighed in this morning and down 1 1/2 pounds. Down 3 stone 3 1/2 pounds overall. Thrilled. I'm hoping to get another 11 1/2 pounds off before July (here's hoping) and be at my target. I am really starting to see the difference in my body as well, like another poster mentioned. I am wearing size 10 clothes for the first time ever. Feeling really positive and am going to have a good bit of chocolate to celebrate Easter as well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Was very disapointed to read blogger Rosemary McCabes opinion piece on slimming world. She basically ripped it to shreds claiming it doesn't work at all and criticised the nutritional aspects of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Was very disapointed to read blogger Rosemary McCabes opinion piece on slimming world. She basically ripped it to shreds claiming it doesn't work at all and criticised the nutritional aspects of it too.

Anything she writes/says is to cause "controversy" and get views on her blog. Literally cringe these days any time I see her name.

As far SW not working well it does and all the people on this thread are proof of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Did the woman ever consider educating herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Addle wrote: »
    Did the woman ever consider educating herself?

She tried the diet herself and lost 9lb in her first week and had smaller losses the subsequent weeks, before giving up on it.. But it 'doesn't work' apparently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Scraggs wrote: »
    Anything she writes/says is to cause "controversy" and get views on her blog. Literally cringe these days any time I see her name.

As far SW not working well it does and all the people on this thread are proof of that!

I feel awfully bitchy even saying this but the method she ultimately used to lose weight hasnt exactly worked for her either. She's definitely put some of the weight back on. Yet the way she talks about that aproach is as if its been perfect.

All of these things, be it SW or training/clean eating, whatever, only work if you actually stick to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I am considering joining SW are the meetings similar to WW IE weigh in ( privately) and then a group chat if you want to stay?
    I'm nervous to join but need to do something !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Valyawl wrote: »
    I am considering joining SW are the meetings similar to WW IE weigh in ( privately) and then a group chat if you want to stay?
    I'm nervous to join but need to do something !

Just a quick reply as heading out, but yes you weigh privately and there's a group chat like WW... but better!! It's really a great plan, you won't regret it. I'm at my target 1.5 years after losing 3 stone..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

WhiteRoses wrote: »

Great article in response to her article from fellow blogger and slimming world success story Tracey Quinn ...

http://loveofliving.ie/2017/04/reply-rosemary-mccabes-rant-slimming-world/

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Well I joined this evening, very different to WW fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before! Does anyone know if there is a probiotic yogurt that's syn free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before! Does anyone know if there is a probiotic yogurt that's syn free?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement