Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair B738 EI-DLI damaged at Rome Ciampino Airport

Options
  • 04-06-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Reports are unclear but a report on Facebook is saying that the aircraft rolled into an adjacent building causing significant damage to the horizontal stabiliser.

It is understood that there was no one on board at the time and no injuries have been reported. I'm not sure if that refers to no passengers on board or if there was no crew also.

Someone has questions to answer.

10313350_10152056927095146_6299208646473738871_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Ground staff were on strike today in ciampino. No pax, no crew, no ground staff onboard or around.

Suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Looks like it was parked up beside the other craft in the pic and possibly brake pressure depleted and it wasn't chocked or was badly chocked and it rolled back into something.

Not sure what that red trailer looking thing is doing under the tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Not sure what that red trailer looking thing is doing under the tail.

Don't really think that has any relevance its just adjacent to the ramp road, in a storage area it looks like - Have to agree on the day of the strike it is indeed suspicious, or simply gross misconduct on behalf of the striking handlers not securing an aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

That pic looks really weird to me. Did this definitely happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

fr336 wrote: »
    That pic looks really weird to me. Did this definitely happen?

Are the shadows correct on that photo?
    Men on left casting long shadow. Plane shadow seems more vertical.
    Maybe I'm just crazy.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Are the shadows correct on that photo?
    Men on left casting long shadow. Plane shadow seems more vertical.
    Maybe I'm just crazy.

I swear the tail looks really odd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I don't think my ears could take Mick O'Leary's language when he gets to hear about this. For Christ's sake don't tell him!

feargale wrote: »
    I don't think my ears could take Mick O'Leary's language when he gets to hear about this. For Christ's sake don't tell him!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I'm 99% sure that's a photo shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

They forgot to Photoshop the damage to the wing onto its shadow........

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Forgot the handbrake... Plane got rear-ended by an airport...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Damage on wing can be seen in the shadow.

This being the only photo up is a tad bit suspicious, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Talking to some very qualified engineers this morning, that could well be a write off. If its real which it looks to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Talking to some very qualified engineers this morning, that could well be a write off. If its real which it looks to be.

if that's the case prepare to see ciampino being removed from ryanairs flight timetable... the only two hull losses that ryanair have had will both have been at that airport!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Yeah, id say the air is blue at swords business park this morn. The boss I'd say is like a briar and for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

There is no Comunitat valenciana on the OP original post but there is on planespotters website?

link

:confused::confused:

Would they have repainted since?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would imagine that those are decals rather than paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

http://roma.repubblica.it/cronaca/2014/06/05/news/ciampino_aereo_sfonda_la_caserma-88081418/?ref=HRESS-1#gallery-slider=88081034

some more pics and a chance to refresh your Italian before holiday season kicks off

Why r folk saying it's a possible write off? I'm sure Renton has a big parts store but if the fuselage is buckled....well that's a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

martinsvi wrote: »

So (very) roughly they are saying that the aircraft wasn't chocked & had no brakes applied. An investigation is under way as the aircraft moved 40 metres downwind & even if the wind had been strong this would still have been difficult.

The Aircraft's tail hit the front of the firestation and stopped before the wing hit the building avoiding an even bigger tragedy as there were firemen in the building .(seems to imply there was fuel on board).

Initial estimates of €200k worth of damage.

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »
    aircraft moved 40 metres downwind & even if the wind had been strong this would still have been difficult.

there was practically no wind according to metars, 5kt at best coming from SSE, but the aircraft traveled WSW, so no downwind, more like a crosswind/tailwind if any
    Andip wrote: »
    Initial estimates of €200k worth of damage.

that's the building I think, I don't think the aircraft damages have yet been estimated
    Why r folk saying it's a possible write off? I'm sure Renton has a big parts store but if the fuselage is buckled....well that's a different story

aah, we just love drama

Anyone hazard a guess how many times the f word has been let off this morn by the CEO ? I have to say if true with a parking brake not set and no chocks....this is permanent gardening leave for those concerned. No chocks is the big issue....brakes can be set but this is no fail safe......accumulators leak from a380s to c172s. The most important thing is no one was hurt and a timely reminder of never leave an aircraft parked with out being chocked

Anyone hazard a guess how many times the f word has been let off this morn by the CEO ?

MOL was in Dublin airport this morning on a PR stunt boarding passengers travelling to London, poor chap, it must have been like 911 when George Bush was reading books in kindergarten - blank stare, pink cheeks

MOL was in Dublin airport this morning on a PR stunt boarding passengers travelling to London, poor chap, it must have been like 911 when George Bush was reading books in kindergarten - blank stare, pink cheeks

Erm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Have a Fix

duct-tape-rolls.jpg

Erm.

there was this infamous video of Bush reading books to children when someone comes to him and whispers in the ear, what many believe, that the tragedy has happened. He's reaction was 0, as he was on a PR stunt, yet you could see his cheeks turning pink and eyes lacking focus.

This is how I imagine MOL looked today

there was this infamous video of Bush reading books to children when someone comes to him and whispers in the ear, what many believe, that the tragedy has happened. He's reaction was 0, as he was on a PR stunt, yet you could see his cheeks turning pink and eyes lacking focus.

This is how I imagine MOL looked today

Yeah I just felt a bit uncomfortable with the comparison, especially in the field of aviation but oh well

Yeah I just felt a bit uncomfortable with the comparison, especially in the field of aviation but oh well

I see what you're saying, you're right, not my best comment, that's for sure

I see what you're saying, you're right, not my best comment, that's for sure

Wouldn't be the first to be too relaxed on the internet :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Has the Daily Mail found out yet??:D

Advertisement