Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thurles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭tastyt

Does anyone know when the works are starting on the square ? I see a lot of markings all over the place .

Also, what exactly is being done? Are they pedestrianising part of it , widening footpaths ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Almost everyone I talk to in Thurles doesn’t remember this, but I do like it was yesterday.

When Dunnes Stores first opened in 1996/7 they had a vending machine outside the entrance selling cans of St Bernard Cola for 20p. At the time Coca Cola was 50p a can from the vending machine in the train station and everyone back then didn’t care about branded products. It was sickeningly sweet cola. Who here remembers it?

Or when Lidl first opened it’s doors on the 5th of June 2002, the majority of their products were own brands from Germany. There was no English writing on most of the products at all.

I remember the vending machine. It was kind of a novelty at the time.
    I drive through thurles every now and then. I find that square to be similar to the driving seem around the Arc de Triomphe. It's a roundabout but you get the idea

In my family the square is called the Arc De Thurles or Arc De Tribump :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Subway- I notice the barrel lock on the door Was drilled by a locksmith. Martin Healy the owner has a planning notice affixed to the window. Her other restaurant in Nenagh still hasn’t opened either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Martin Healy owns nothing, if you read between the lines you'll see who owns what.

He claims to be the owner to the local authority.
    Presuming you mean Lowry?

I thought Healy was more Labour e.g the Alan Kelly Apple Store (Labour/Kelly supporters claimed he was bringing Apple to the O'Connor site. A Mr. Price opened!)

Anyway the PP application is to extend the opening hours from 08:00 to 00:00 so she's semi-closed down.

In other news, work has started on the old Sweeney's bakery site regarding the Primary Care Centre that'll be leased to the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Oops! wrote: »
    Martin Healy owns nothing, if you read between the lines you'll see who owns what.

How much of thurles does he own at this stage, the watermill, the munster hotel??? All sitting there nothing happening where as he seems to sort any properities in Nenagh

Wasn't the Watermill supposedly being turned into apartments? God be with the days when it was HQ. Such a great spot!

Mizzoni Pizza opening on Friar Street where shimla was.

That's going to do Apache some damage I'd say!

Ya I’m a fan of Mizzoni anywhere iv had it, another take away though, they all can’t survive. Any word on McDonalds ??

It would be great if we had a nice Italian restaurant in the town where you could go for pasta or pizza

• Advertisement

That's 3 takeaways now on Friar Street - Kebabish, Mizzoni and Apache along with Naomi's Cafe which will be moving to where McKeon's shoe shop used be.

Wasn't there an Italian restaurant in Park Avenue for a while? Went there once as it was abysmal. We were waiting half an hour for our order to be taken and a full hour for our food to come out. Then to add insult to injury it was very expensive for mediocre food.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭mikep

That one started well and then went rapidly downhill.

There was also an Italian at one stage where Yi Thai is now, also started well but went downhill quickly too...

A good italian would be a great addition..

Jim Ryan has a post on Facebook about subway reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,562 ✭✭✭shmeee

Jim Ryan has a post on Facebook about subway reopening.

So much for it closing. Classic Thurles Town rumours.

Reopening on the 29th June, signage on the door.

Good to see places reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

shmeee wrote: »
    So much for it closing. Classic Thurles Town rumours.

Reopening on the 29th June, signage on the door.

Good to see places reopening.

What happened to all the stuff on done deal?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This is a submission she made to the council regarding extending the opening hours to 12am.

How is it not unviable to reopen now

Edit: One of the employees claims new ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

How did you get your hands on that?! :D

Oops! wrote: »
    How did you get your hands on that?! :D

The planning submission?

It’s made public on eplan

http://193.178.30.68/idocswebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=625983&format=jpeg

Subway reopening deferred until the 29th of July now

I hear someone has bought Morris bar down near the castle , anyone hear any more?

Rumour has it it’s reopening as a bar / restaurant

• Advertisement

There was planning permission granted for that building in 2009
    demolition of existing outbuildings, conversion of ground floor public house and residential to retail and extend the retail to the rear all at the ground floor, conversion of the first and second floors from residential to offices including extension of offices to thre rear at first floor, alterations to the shop front and all associated site development works

This has obviously expired now. I’d guess the licence was sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Is there someplace in Thurles I can bring cardboard for recycling? The mother has put me to work clearing out while I'm visiting.

corwill wrote: »
    Is there someplace in Thurles I can bring cardboard for recycling? The mother has put me to work clearing out while I'm visiting.

There’s no recycling centre in Thurles unfortunately. I believe there’s one in Cashel.

There’s no harm finding a secluded spot somewhere and setting it alight, it’s not like it’s plastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

corwill wrote: »

Ryan's on the mill road will sort you out. Not sure how much it would cost but not a lot I would gueass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Sure feck it, I'll tip down to Cashel, any excuse for a spin out of the house on a soft day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mmm...username

Has it been really difficult to find housing in thurles for a while?
    I recently moved back to Thurles and I'm staying in an overcrowded house while looking for somewhere to rent,it's been 2 months now and either there's nothing around or the estate agents keep telling me to ring back or they'll call me and then the property I wanted to view is gone . Feeling very hopeless about it 😔

Ya the town is badly in new of new housing, tough when planning permissions are constantly challenged

I heard it from the horse's mouth that Taffy will be taking over Bowes pub at some stage soon.

I heard it from the horse's mouth that Taffy will be taking over Bowes pub at some stage soon.

From Taffy himself ? That’s good, it looked from his message on Facebook that he was leaving the town .

Huge potential in Bowes with its location and outside space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭mikep

tastyt wrote: »
    I hear someone has bought Morris bar down near the castle , anyone hear any more?

Rumour has it it’s reopening as a bar / restaurant

The interior of that premises was shipped down to a pub refurb in wexford town so I'd say the interior is empty.

Advertisement