Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭droppingball

Codyout wrote: »
    I thought his performance in semi final as a defender great as attacker no good . He just not good enough hurler . Remember it took officials decision to get to all Ireland . His performance in all Ireland way out of his depth. In the last 2 championship Murphy of comer has got the better of him . County final his performance not up to it . If we are to go by how players have performed against Clare in league remember Evan Cody of the boro how he was treated .conor brown good athlete hurling very limited probably same category as Dermot Coady and I have yet to find some one that thinks he deserved to be on Kilkenny panel . Re your comment about semis final if that what you want to see Kilkenny hurling come to I rather loose I want to watch hurlers hurl the ball use there skills just like the shamrocks I think they called it puke football. I have no interest in watching puke hurling

Give us what your starting team would be if we were playing championship tomorrow as your such a purist

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭kkclubhurling

I thought his performance in semi final as a defender great as attacker no good . He just not good enough hurler . Remember it took officials decision to get to all Ireland . His performance in all Ireland way out of his depth. In the last 2 championship Murphy of comer has got the better of him . County final his performance not up to it . If we are to go by how players have performed against Clare in league remember Evan Cody of the boro how he was treated .conor brown good athlete hurling very limited probably same category as Dermot Coady and I have yet to find some one that thinks he deserved to be on Kilkenny panel . Re your comment about semis final if that what you want to see Kilkenny hurling come to I rather loose I want to watch hurlers hurl the ball use there skills just like the shamrocks I think they called it puke football. I have no interest in watching puke hurling

For a man who is all “facts” you’re talking some rot, Browne was centre forward for the Village all championship, Larkin marked Murphy last year in the park. Secondly you reference Evan Cody again, what about the problems he had dealing with Anthony Owens this year (or do we only judge some players off club games?).

There has never been a Dermot Coady played for Kilkenny although I think I know a man from Myshall with the nameðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

As a defensive midfielder i would rate him very highly and could be a perfect replacement for fogarty. If we are to start re referring games over the last 10 years you could find plenty occasions where a call this way or that and maybe a different result maybe Donnelly deserved a free the year before and didn't get it limerick go down the field and win the game.truth is kilkenny blew limerick away last year in that game and a shell shocked limerick only started hurling in the second half..i do think they will blow true Munster again this year and us or galway are the only ones who could match them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Codyout

Murphy
    Murphy
    Delaney
    Wallace
    mullin
    Deegan
    Buckley
    O walsh
    Lawlor
    Donnely
    Walsh
    Reid
    Cody
    Fennnely
    Hogan
    Would like to have a good look at 2 or 3 from oloughlins under 21 team to me they were the most impressive team I saw last year Bergin from conahy . I would like to have a good look at Jason Cleere and Tom kenny and Aidan Nolan and I would use Murphy as impact sub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Can you stop suggesting Michael Murphy please as it just undermines your argument. He's the wrong side of 30 and while a really good club hurler he just isn't, nor has he ever been, inter county standard. No disrespect to him but there's a difference. A big difference.

Also, Huw Lawlor midfield is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

That team would be savaged by westmeath and Carlow let alone any of the main contenders.

No midfield and little inside forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Grats

Can you stop suggesting Michael Murphy please as it just undermines your argument. He's the wrong side of 30 and while a really good club hurler he just isn't, nor has he ever been, inter county standard. No disrespect to him but there's a difference. A big difference.

Also, Huw Lawlor midfield is ridiculous.

Totally agree. And again with no disrespect to P Walsh, he hasn't been great with his Club - Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Grats

Murphy
    Murphy
    Delaney
    Wallace
    mullin
    Deegan
    Buckley
    O walsh
    Lawlor
    Donnely
    Walsh
    Reid
    Cody
    Fennnely
    Hogan
    Would like to have a good look at 2 or 3 from oloughlins under 21 team to me they were the most impressive team I saw last year Bergin from conahy . I would like to have a good look at Jason Cleere and Tom kenny and Aidan Nolan and I would use Murphy as impact sub

Well at last you give us your team and despite your heavy criticism of Brian Cody you have just one different player - O Walsh!!!!! Even the subs you mention have been in the panel.

So for all your arguing you contribute nothing when it's put up to you.

I did not argue with anyone all I said as long as Cody goes down the road he is going we going nowhere . As for one difference I did not mention Leahy Murphy, keogan ,brown . Scanlon ,Walter Walsh bill Sheehan. Bill Ryan Carey ,Tommy Walsh ,Brazil Michail Cody , these are the lads I saw . No point in having lads on panel when you don’t give them chance . As for Padraig Walsh I saw him on numerous occasions play well at centre forward particularly against Ballyragget in what was one of the great games It’s what tj Would benefit from playing along side him . If the inside forward line is no good well we’re ****ed because hogan and fennely will be there and after looking at young Coady against Laois he looked so far above all others . As for midfield well can only go by what I see and listening to people that are involved with these players for Ollie The village man mark him for the last few years . Destroyed Leahy in Gowran last year and that’s from the rower lads Ans is the best passer of a ball bar none and as for Lawlor well oloughlins must know best there again saw him 2 least year against Bridge in Gowan and the ground he covered and ball he moved . He struggling at fullback at moment

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Was thinking about this earlier and said I'd throw it up here to see what the masses think.

What would your Kilkenny Club Team of the Decade be? (With a heavy senior bias)

Goalkeeper

Goalie is a very hard position to pick and one of the primary reasons for this is that our inter county goalie for most of the last decade plays outfield with his club so a usual strong candidate is immediately gone. Looking at senior since 2010 a few of the guys that came to mind straight away were Holohan (had an excellent 17/18), Derek Brennan (consistently good shot stopper until he finished in '17), Colin McGrath who was a scorer and a stopper for Martins, Stephen Murphy who has been consistent for OLG throughout the decade. I'd actually give a very tight nod to Enda Cleere based on the huge role he played in the Bridge's back to back promotions, hes been very good at the senior grade too and I think they'll miss him when he's done.

Full back line

Again if you go through all the grades over a decade your going to throw up a serious amount of good hurlers and loads of lads who have had one or two good seasons. It's probably harder to pick out guys who were excellent or close to it over a long number of years. First man i'd pick at 2 is Paul Murphy I'd say most years for the past decade people having been picking Fort to go down and Paul, Richie, Paddy Hogan and Cathal O' Neill are big factors in them staying up. At no.3 I'd go for Joey Holden I'm probably being a bit harsh on guys like John Dalton and Aylward from Mullinavat who have serious hurling done at 3 but Joey has been excellent for a number of years now for Shamrocks. I'd go with Shane Prendergast at no.4, Shane was so good in the middle of the decade he got himself onto the Kilkenny team at 27 years of age and won an All Ireland medal starting corner back, that's no mean feat, won 2 county titles with Clara too.

Half Back Line

Loads of names jumping to mind here who have been very good over the decade, Jason Cleere and Enda Morrissey with the Bridge, Kieran Joyce with the Rower, Cathal O' Neill who I mentioned above for Danesfort, Jackie absolutely huge in 2011 for the Village, Mick Fennelly a colussus the last two years with Ballyhale, Darren Mullen the same, when push comes to shove though I'd go for Conor Delaney at no. 5, I genuinely think over the last 4 years youd struggle to find a better club defender than Delaney. At 6 I'd go with Cillian Buckley who has been a huge part in the Boro's rise over the last 10 years and at 7 I'd go with Paddy Deegan who again has been excellent with OLG for the last 4 or 5 years.

Midfield

The dinner is cooking so I may speed the process up here, again theres loads of guys who have had an excellent year here and excellent year there but if im looking for consistency I'd have to go with Lester Ryan as one midfielder, hes played everywhere for Clara and is still a serious operator at club level, second man I'd go with is Michael Rice, again I think hes been so instrumental for Carrickshock over the last decade, from the highs of county finals to the dogged relegation battles hes been a standout throughout.

Half Forward Line

Again there really is a mountain of players you could put in the forwards, I'm going to start with a player I mentioned earlier Richie Hogan, Danesfort would not be senior without him and that goes without any doubt in my opinion. At no.11 I'll go with TJ and I don't think any explanation is needed there again. The Half forward line is slightly disjointed but I'm going with Eoin Larkin, Larks was literally unplayable at the start of the decade, had a dip for a couple of years and the finished the decade strong again in a deeper role with the Village.

Full Forward Line

Loads of guys in with a shout here but the first man I'd put in has been quietly doing his business for the whole decade is Eoin Reid, his ability to consistently score is huge for Ballyhale, he is so underrated in my opinion and the amount he has won is unbelievable. I'd put Gorta at no.14, it beggars belief that he is still hurling at such a high level almost 10 years after he finished with Kilkenny, he genuinely still hurls like a young lad! The final player I'd put in at No. 15 is Colin Fennelly I'd love to know how many goals he has for Ballyhale in the last 10 years, I know the last few have been particularly fruitful but hes gone from a lightning fast inside forward to an unbelievable battering ram inside and I couldnt leave him out.

Again loads of brilliant players left out, feel free to throw a few names out there yereselves, mine is by no means flawless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭droppingball

I did not argue with anyone all I said as long as Cody goes down the road he is going we going nowhere . As for one difference I did not mention Leahy Murphy, keogan ,brown . Scanlon ,Walter Walsh bill Sheehan. Bill Ryan Carey ,Tommy Walsh ,Brazil Michail Cody , these are the lads I saw . No point in having lads on panel when you don’t give them chance . As for Padraig Walsh I saw him on numerous occasions play well at centre forward particularly against Ballyragget in what was one of the great games It’s what tj Would benefit from playing along side him . If the inside forward line is no good well we’re ****ed because hogan and fennely will be there and after looking at young Coady against Laois he looked so far above all others . As for midfield well can only go by what I see and listening to people that are involved with these players for Ollie The village man mark him for the last few years . Destroyed Leahy in Gowran last year and that’s from the rower lads Ans is the best passer of a ball bar none and as for Lawlor well oloughlins must know best there again saw him 2 least year against Bridge in Gowan and the ground he covered and ball he moved . He struggling at fullback at moment

On your first line, explain what you mean by what way cody is going? Your team is nothing different except a full back midfielder and a former panelist with him who previously failed when on the panel. Delaney full back isn't going to change too much, padraig walsh could work but feel he is better half back. So where is cody going so far wrong in your mind

Just a pint on Michail Murphy not up to inter county standard . I would have being at most senior hurling matches for the last 2 years . For me he was the best forward on view particularly 2018/19 . They only way you know if he up to standard is you try him .
    It’s great to see how up to date you are with young Lawlor and midfield didn’t realise he could not play midfield I must have being mistaking when I thought he played under 21 for Kilkenny in midfield , played midfield for loug and also played midfield for Kilkenny seniors what I would like to see from midfielders they would seem to have the blend I would like and for what I herd about both of them they are very dedicated .

What I mean about the road he going down first the players he trying being defensive more than attacking . He. Brings in players to keep selectors quite but never plays them young kenny and Nolan from the boro being prime example plus the full back from mullinvat . They way he treats players . To me no manager has the right to turn his back on a player leaving the field this something as a person I could never accept whether you win or loose . When players give there all they deserve respect remember most of his all Ireland’s were won with the greatest panel of players ever I have no doubt there were plenty of people would have succeeded. Think of all the genuine players that gave there all for Kilkenny and were denied all Ireland medals because he had his village players in that had no right to be there . That includes his sons There again some genuine players David blanchfield sheflin have showing there better players than village players . Remember we just out of league and 2 big matches we were found wanting the defeat in Wexford was the worst defeat I have seeing in any sport 2 pints up with 20 minutes to go and a gale in your back and we take of the only forward we had as for Clare I suppose you were at it we might have got a draw but that was Clare doing not ours and there we had to watch the same old thing hit it and run after it . I do accept we are limited with first 15/20 but when a team goes out with no plan no coaching . To me to see the difference in standard between Wexford and Kilkenny was alarming . When you see people like leister Ryan and the way he was treated and he still does it to players . When you look how easy the shamrocks make it with proper coaching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Also funny Savannah disappeared when codyout appeared

Still here just hiding in the long grass. Made my point did not feel the need to continue making it but have quite enjoyed the banter between Codyout and most of you. I do not agree that Cody is pro village to the exclusion of other clubs or that he should be replaced but he has to do more to correct the problems with our forwards and our forward play. I agree with Codyout we are stagnant, reachig an AI semi final is not an acceptable goal and there are many players out there who should have been given a decent chance not least being Tom Phelan. After Reid, Fennelly, Donnelly, and possibly Ryan we have nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭mullinr2

What a game that 2014 final was. Look at how far back we are since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

mullinr2 wrote: »
    What a game that 2014 final was. Look at how far back we are since then.

Look at all the great players we lost after that final, still managed a win 2015 ran out of steam 2016 it was the end of the road for that team.

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Look at all the great players we lost after that final, still managed a win 2015 ran out of steam 2016 it was the end of the road for that team.

I know Waterford have gotten our stats from the limerick game last year and are studying the way we dealt with them.so we might still have something to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

I know Waterford have gotten our stats from the limerick game last year and are studying the way we dealt with them.so we might still have something to offer

I hope we have something to offer never said we had not.

Fred Daly wrote: »
    I hope we have something to offer never said we had not.

Murphy
    Mullen Lawlor Wallace
    Delaney Walsh Deegan
    Fogarty Leahy
    Reid Donnelly AAAAAAA
    Ryan Fennelly BBBBBBB

Unless we find A&B we are going no where and please do not say Ritchie Hogan. A great player in his day but his day is long gone mostly due to injury. The rest of our current forwards should be charged with impersonation

Murphy
    Mullen Lawlor Wallace
    Delaney Walsh Deegan
    Fogarty Leahy
    Reid Donnelly AAAAAAA
    Ryan Fennelly BBBBBBB

Unless we find A&B we are going no where and please do not say Ritchie Hogan. A great player in his day but his day is long gone mostly due to injury. The rest of our current forwards should be charged with impersonation

Still think joey will be in the corner and you could see Mullen midfield possibly
    With p walsh .leahy to a wing and find b possible try young cody

• Advertisement

It is ok to say Richie past it . So far in league he has a man of the match and in Wexford he only forward we had . Fogarty is past his best and also now recovering from another illness by all accounts which is going to take time . In fairness richie Leahy hit and miss not consistent enough for midfield . I totally agree that we have no one coming through you have bill Ryan another hit and miss does ok against lesser teams big guns I have my doubts . That’s why I would have liked to see some of the under 21 from oloug tried they looked very good good strong young lads that could hurl I think Luke Hogan was one and heery the other young bergin from conahy . As I have all ready printed out there 3 village forwards in there that have no chance of playing . There is another league waisted and still no midfield pairing maybe that’s the problem Cody doesn’t realise midfield has to be a pair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Comerman

Fogarty is past his best and also now recovering from another illness by all accounts which is going to take time
    He has a broken little toe

All he had a broken toe unfortunately he seems to have picked up a illness that takes time

Still think joey will be in the corner and you could see Mullen midfield possiblyWith p walsh .leahy to a wing and find b possible try young cody

What you suggest is about as good as we have at present.

Murphy
    Holden Lawlor Wallace
    Delaney Walsh Deegan
    Fogarty?? Mullen
    Reid Donnelly Leahy
    Ryan Fennelly Cody

Will be very interesting if we revert to a traditional knock out championship this year. Would not fear anyone if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Comerman

All he had a broken toe unfortunately he seems to have picked up a illness that takes time

Mumps.

What you suggest is about as good as we have at present.

Murphy
    Holden Lawlor Wallace
    Delaney Walsh Deegan
    Fogarty?? Mullen
    Reid Donnelly Leahy
    Ryan Fennelly Cody

Buckley to 5 and walsh to midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭brookville

Infairness to codyout he does make a few valid points and alot of them have being highlighted in recent years.The delivery of ball into our fowards is very poor.I thought the ball laois were giving into dunphy and king was much better than what we were giving in.Im hoping with fresh faces on board this might improve if we get back onto the pitch this year.
    We know the mistakes cody made over the last few years and he shouldnt be excluded from criticism but while getting a bad beating last year it was a achievement getting to the final.We have remained competitive despite a big overhaul and big rebuild and I think we're on the right road.
    I wouldn't read much into this year's league or a lost chance to try players because apart from the wexford match (and that was an awful day) the matches were all played at a very low tempo.
    Olg u20s did play a nice brand and done their homework on ballyhale and a few were called in for the walsh cup match in callan and hopefully these will get another chance in the next year or two.Id be hoping these lads are put on a programme because that day in callan it was very obvious these lads need to fill out.
    Its very surprising shefflin was dropped before he started but we dont know the ins and outs.
    I know the ucc lads had great praise for Browne when he was there and I think theres something in him.Brassil looked very sharp earlier on but scanlon has failed to kick on and is lucky to be still there.
    This year should be a big year for blanchfield and cleere I feel its make or break for them.
    Deegan was our leader this league and could be our center back for the summer.lawlor struggled in the first half against laois and made a mistake against wexford for the goal but he is a good honest chap who is learning the position.Darren mullen should be able nail down a spot this year and gives in good ball to the fowards.
    I do agree we have a lot of the workhorse type players and theres a few scoring fowards who aren't on the panel but our quality of ball in will have to improve if we want to win anything.Most teams have gameplan and play to their strengths while we remain predictable and balloon ball into our fowards.
    My team with everyone fit and hopefully this year goes ahead
    Murphy
    Joey,lawlor,wallace
    Delaney,deegan,buckley
    Padraig;mullen
    Tj,donnelly,wally
    Billy,colin;cody
    I think wally could be under pressure and blanchfield will hopefully continue his college form and break into the team

brookville wrote: »
    Infairness to codyout he does make a few valid points and alot of them have being highlighted in recent years.The delivery of ball into our fowards is very poor.I thought the ball laois were giving into dunphy and king was much better than what we were giving in.Im hoping with fresh faces on board this might improve if we get back onto the pitch this year.
    We know the mistakes cody made over the last few years and he shouldnt be excluded from criticism but while getting a bad beating last year it was a achievement getting to the final.We have remained competitive despite a big overhaul and big rebuild and I think we're on the right road.
    I wouldn't read much into this year's league or a lost chance to try players because apart from the wexford match (and that was an awful day) the matches were all played at a very low tempo.
    Olg u20s did play a nice brand and done their homework on ballyhale and a few were called in for the walsh cup match in callan and hopefully these will get another chance in the next year or two.Id be hoping these lads are put on a programme because that day in callan it was very obvious these lads need to fill out.
    Its very surprising shefflin was dropped before he started but we dont know the ins and outs.
    I know the ucc lads had great praise for Browne when he was there and I think theres something in him.Brassil looked very sharp earlier on but scanlon has failed to kick on and is lucky to be still there.
    This year should be a big year for blanchfield and cleere I feel its make or break for them.
    Deegan was our leader this league and could be our center back for the summer.lawlor struggled in the first half against laois and made a mistake against wexford for the goal but he is a good honest chap who is learning the position.Darren mullen should be able nail down a spot this year and gives in good ball to the fowards.
    I do agree we have a lot of the workhorse type players and theres a few scoring fowards who aren't on the panel but our quality of ball in will have to improve if we want to win anything.Most teams have gameplan and play to their strengths while we remain predictable and balloon ball into our fowards.
    My team with everyone fit and hopefully this year goes ahead
    Murphy
    Joey,lawlor,wallace
    Delaney,deegan,buckley
    Padraig;mullen
    Tj,donnelly,wally
    Billy,colin;cody
    I think wally could be under pressure and blanchfield will hopefully continue his college form and break into the team

I'll go along with that.Throw it in

• Advertisement

Just to say I have never being involved in any other account in any way .i have followed this site for a while . Not great on it. Tryed beforedid not sign up . Lately signed up because I do go to all Kilkenny games at all levels . Go to as many club matches as possible . Interest in country senior team but prefer neutral matches how you can sit back and enjoy . I would be a joe Hennessy follower in he was one of the most stylish hurlers but could still give and take . The great chunky , billy Fitzpatrick but a few when you watched Kilkenny you watched style . My honest believe if George Leahey rip from the village had got the job at the time which everyone thought he would Kilkenny would have as many if not more and with more style because the record of George as a coach was of the highest . I have never accepted the way coady treated players and players from the village geting preference. To say it has not gone on is a joke. Just go back to 2016 and they way he treated his son and Jackie at the expense of the team remember it was national media said it was the worst performance of a manager they have ever seeing. Now things have changed . I am not sure who said in reply to one of my comments that James meagher was happy to be out that I could not argue with because I know of 2 players that were in same position . Another league over and no further actually gone backwards. To say we were in all Ireland last year as I said all ready league we would have being relegated and destroyed in final . Re Brazil I have watched him in last few years good strong chap under 21 did not show enough for me to get called up his performances for village have not being great very poor county final . To say he showed up well in Carlow well he came on as a sub when Carlow were at there lowest made a great run from sideline to which Richie gave great finish . The chap of The Bergin has showing up at club level came on for a few minutes got a great score . I believe bergin , John Walsh , young lad from clara , and 1or 2 of the Olg under 21 deserved a go instead we got another village forward. So I have no interest in fooling people I just say it as I see it . I have a season pass I get great value and fun out of it . I will always stand over that any manager thinks he is bigger than the team and the players and can’t put out his hand and thank them should sit up in the stand there is plenty of people in Kilkenny remember the 3 club titles are in Kilkenny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement