Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extended JSB or apply for pandemic payment?

• 24-03-2020 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi all,

Thought I'd ask here instead of clogging up the lines of social welfare.

I'm currently on JSB and it's due to run out in 9 weeks. For the last month or so it's been very quiet on the jobs front and a few ones I applied for emailed me to say the weren't going ahead with the roles for the foreseeable future due to the coronavirus.

I'm also self isolating so wouldn't be able to interview unless they did a Skype one. My question is could I switch to the pandemic payment and then back to JSB? It'd give me an extra 6 weeks to find something hopefully. I don't think ill qualify for JSA.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I’m no expert but as far as I understand the pandemic payment is for people who lost their job because of the virus and the effect it had on their line of work. People will probably need to move to jsb after the 6 weeks not the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No, you stay on the payment you are on. Pandemic payment is only for those who've lost their job due to the virus.. Not people on SW already

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

Ok thanks I thought that's probably the case but said I'd ask anyway. Hopefully this won't last too long and the jobs market will pick up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

foxy_j wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thought I'd ask here instead of clogging up the lines of social welfare.

I'm currently on JSB and it's due to run out in 9 weeks. For the last month or so it's been very quiet on the jobs front and a few ones I applied for emailed me to say the weren't going ahead with the roles for the foreseeable future due to the coronavirus.

I'm also self isolating so wouldn't be able to interview unless they did a Skype one. My question is could I switch to the pandemic payment and then back to JSB? It'd give me an extra 6 weeks to find something hopefully. I don't think ill qualify for JSA.

Thanks

was it also very quiet on the jobs front in all the months leading up to this month?

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    was it also very quiet on the jobs front in all the months leading up to this month?

Was let go before Christmas and it was very quiet til mid Jan where it picked up and I had a couple interviews I was unsuccessful with. Went quiet mid to late Feb with a couple of jobs I applied for even contacted me saying they weren't going ahead at the moment given the circumstances. So I can't see it picking up before my JSB runs out now unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

foxy_j wrote: »
    Was let go before Christmas and it was very quiet til mid Jan where it picked up and I had a couple interviews I was unsuccessful with. Went quiet mid to late Feb with a couple of jobs I applied for even contacted me saying they weren't going ahead at the moment given the circumstances. So I can't see it picking up before my JSB runs out now unfortunately.

The pandemic payment is only for people who lost their job because of the pandemic. I hope you are looking after yourself and getting some exercise and enough to eat. Ignore any smartarses you encounter here.

Thanks for the nice message. Hope your keeping well yourself :-)

Advertisement