Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houses for heroes

• 04-06-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭

I have to do a final year history project for my degree and I was thinking of the 'Houses for herores' scheme. I'm thinking of The Demesne/Abbeyfield in Killester in particular. I found this book with some information in it
    http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=10583421649&browse=1&qwork=3444873&qsort=&page=1.
    I would love to find out how the houses were allocated and how those who returned from WW1 settled in to them. Were there similar schemes anywhere else ?
    Any ideas/information/leads would be much appreciated. I'm not looking for someone to do all the work for me, honest :D. I am just going through ideas at the moment and wondering if there is enough information out there to warrant the research. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Hello jos28

I know that there were several schemes outside Dublin built, including the Frenchville area of The Claddagh in Galway City.
    My great-grandfather was in charge of knocking down the old thatch cottages in Frenchville and constructing new houses for ex-servicemen. I afraid I don't think I have the records for any of this but I'll have a look for you.
    It wasn't particularly popular with some of the locals, but their anger seemed to be targeted at the demolition of the old cottages rather than giving houses to British servicemen. They stoned my great grandfathers workers at one stage and drove them off, and the RIC had to be called.
    As it happens a guy I went to school with lived in Frenchville because his great-grandfather had been a medic during the war and was given the house.

I think the city library holds some more records and newspaper articles on it

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

there is a history of the soldiers and sailors land trust in print
    see history blog pues occurrences for a recnt blog on the threatened demolition of the british legion hall

killester station was built to serve this development and the private bus line serving it was called 'the contemptible' after the old contemtibles of 1914

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i think there is some soldiers hgousing in Laytown and i read somewhere that houses were built on the North Road in Finglas but these may have a connection to the Boer War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

jos28 wrote: »
    I would love to find out how the houses were allocated and how those who returned from WW1 settled in to them.

This is very interesting. Was there a similar scheme for returning servicemen from WW2?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

I would love to find out how the houses were allocated and how those who returned from WW1 settled in to them. Were there similar schemes anywhere else ?

Glenconnor Cottages in Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭jos28

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    This is very interesting. Was there a similar scheme for returning servicemen from WW2?
    I don't think so because we were running our own show at that stage. According to the book that I have, the British Government decided to fund the housing in order to prevent returning soldiers from joining the republican movement.
    'The over riding concern of the British Government was to maintain social stability'. It was an insurance against revolution. The replies you have all posted are really fascinating and make me think that there would be plenty there to research. I never realised that Killester train station was built specifically for the houses. I never heard the bus story either. I wonder if the builders were treated the same way as Simarillion's great grandfather. Fascinating stuff, keep them coming please...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

here is a link to the houses in Killester http://homepage.eircom.net/~wlawless/ww1/PUB_Killester/index.html and one to what i said about homes in Finglas , which i got wrong http://finglashistoricalsociety.com/History.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pmfrederick

Hi my grandad was given a home for soldiers at Abbeyfeild after WW1. Do you know how were the homes allocated?
    I have to do a final year history project for my degree and I was thinking of the 'Houses for herores' scheme. I'm thinking of The Demesne/Abbeyfield in Killester in particular. I found this book with some information in it
    http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=10583421649&browse=1&qwork=3444873&qsort=&page=1.
    Any ideas/information/leads would be much appreciated. I'm not looking for someone to do all the work for me, honest :D. I am just going through ideas at the moment and wondering if there is enough information out there to warrant the research. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

There was a scheme to give returning soldiers land. They were source land by narrowing the Barrow.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

Pmfrederick,
    The houses in Killester were built by the Irish Local Government Board and were completed in 1923. The houses were allocated by them until 1924. There was a trust set up to manage and provide further housing for ex-servicemen in 1924 (The Irish Soldiers and Sailors Land Trust). They looked after allocations, maintenance and evictions after that. The Killester houses were particularly interesting because the tenants there went on a rent strike in 1929. This ended up in 9 Killester residents taking the Trust to the Supreme court where they won the right for all ex-servicemen to stay in their houses free from rent. Their action eventually led to the demise of the Trust. If you want I can check my info and hopefully tell you when your Grandad moved in. I can also email you 2 fascinating articles about the houses if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pmfrederick

It would be fasinating to learn when my Grandad moved in to Abbeyfield
    His name was Frederick Christopher Sharpe born in Dublin about 1886. He lived in 118 Abbeyfield. I do not know what regiment he was in but know he was in WW1 and think he was wounded in the leg (he had a stick and in later life the leg was ammutated). Fasinating to hear about the rent strike. He brought up a familiy in 1118 Abbeyfield. It would be great to learn of the articles. My e mail is pmhello@fastmail.fm

Pmfrederick,
    The houses in Killester were built by the Irish Local Government Board and were completed in 1923. The houses were allocated by them until 1924. There was a trust set up to manage and provide further housing for ex-servicemen in 1924 (The Irish Soldiers and Sailors Land Trust). They looked after allocations, maintenance and evictions after that. The Killester houses were particularly interesting because the tenants there went on a rent strike in 1929. This ended up in 9 Killester residents taking the Trust to the Supreme court where they won the right for all ex-servicemen to stay in their houses free from rent. Their action eventually led to the demise of the Trust. If you want I can check my info and hopefully tell you when your Grandad moved in. I can also email you 2 fascinating articles about the houses if you want.

Pmfrederick, I just sent you an email with those articles. Enjoy !

Well it's done, thesis has finally gone to the printers ! Turns out there was plenty of research material out there on the provision of houses for returning WW1 veterans. Thanks for all the help everyone !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emk59

Hi jos28,

My grandfather was ex-serviceman and was allocated a house in the demesne, killester in the 1920's. The house backed onto the rail line and has been demolished since. Row of 2 storey houses there now since the 80's. w
    Would love to know reason the house was allocated to him and if possible his regiment. my email is emk@upcmail.ie. He was H Kirwan. Hope you can help. Ta.

Hi emk,
    I've sent you an email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Soldiers houses:

Oldcourt park, bray (locally known as soldiers rd)
    Luckybrook road, glenealy
    Rocky road, wicklow town,
    Avondale main gate, rathdrum

There seems to be two distinct styles in the area, one detached and slightly larger, and then pairs of semis. Theres examples of the detached style on oldcourt park and at avondale gates. Been very curious about these for years and how they were allocated. Theres some unrecognisable, but some are very original but beautiful external ironware and lovely banisters. I know of one with original windows and beautiful turned iron window latches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brendag

I've heard that the houses on Peck's Lane in Castleknock were for returned WW1 soldiers also. Some of my family members who had served were given houses there and elsewhere in the area. I will try to find out more information and post it here.

Yep, the houses in Wicklow and Castleknock were built by the Irish Soldiers and Sailors Land Trust. The Trust built nearly 3000 houses throughout the State for soldiers returning from WWl.

Yep, the houses in Wicklow and Castleknock were built by the Irish Soldiers and Sailors Land Trust. The Trust built nearly 3000 houses throughout the State for soldiers returning from WWl.

Would you know if the houses in castleknock are in the same style as the ones scattered around wicklow?

Also the two styles, mostly pairs of semis but the occasional double fronted detached (strangely about the same sq footage as each other) Were they allocated according to rank or honour?

I focused mainly on the Killester houses which represented the largest development built by the Trust. There were 3 sizes of houses which were allocated according to rank. The largest houses were in Demesne and were given to officers and their families. I would imagine that the same rule applied elsewhere. The Trust built different styles of houses in various places.

Here is an extract from an article by Fred Aalen where Castleknock is mentioned:

Significant developments, with between 40 to 80 houses in each, were built on the outskirts of Dublin at Cabra (1932-34), Glasnevin (1928-31), Milltown (1928-31), Ballinteer (1931-32), Kimmage (1931-33) and Sandymount (1923) 43 Numerous smaller developments were built, for example at Library Road, Kingstown (now Dun Laoghaire) (Fig. 2c), Sallynoggin, Castleknock, Dundrum, Palmerstown, Clontarf, Raheny and Drimnagh. There is considerable variety of house styles between and within these developments and in the way they are laid out. Milltown, forexample, has short terraces of two-storey brick houses, arranged mainly in subdued crescents on the roadside (Fig. 3a); Sallynoggin has mainly single-storey terrace dwellings with picturesque bay windows, colourful, orange roof-tiles and doors framed by wide, sloping pilasters (identical houses were built at Athy, County Kildare); Castleknock has semi-detached, single-storey and two-storey houses, while Ballinteer has cottages of varied designs, but mainly short terraces similar to those at Milltown, arranged on a secluded road and a nearby cul-de-sac (Fig. 3b)
    and linked with a small colony of local authority labourers' cottages.

Drop me a PM if you would like me to email that article to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mairin26

Hi jos28,
    I've just come accross this thread.
    I am starting to do some family research and my great-grandparents raised their family in Killester. My great-grandfather was an ex-serviceman but I don't have any details of how they came to live there.

I would love to know how the houses in Killester were allocated - was it by a draw or something? I read somewhere that there were thousands of applicants for the 300 houses built.

Any information would be great, thanks.

Hi Mairin,
    Returning soldiers had to apply to the Local Government Board for a house. There didn't seem to any strict criteria, just ex-servicemen of sound character who had families to support. The first residents moved in in 1923, many of the returning soldiers worked on the Killester site as labourers, physically building the houses they were going to live in. The Irish Sailors and Soldiers Land Trust took over in January 1924 and then men had to apply directly to the Trust for housing.
    PM sent.

This might be of interest to anyone with Killester connections. It is from British Pathe newsreels and shows Remembrance Day 1923 in Killester. There are other clips there too, one featuring the laying of the foundation stone for St Brigid's Church in 1925

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/remembrance-day-8/query/killester

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/archbishop-of-dublin/query/killester

There a few clips, all well worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hotd

Get over to Resource centre next door to Killester Church to-morrow as it is the last day of a week long exhibition covering WW1 and has some fantastic photos and info on the ex servicemens houses that were built there in the 1920s as well as lots of history of the parish.

Cheers Hotd, I was there last week and it was a brilliant exhibition. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mag given

hotd wrote: »
    Get over to Resource centre next door to Killester Church to-morrow as it is the last day of a week long exhibition covering WW1 and has some fantastic photos and info on the ex servicemens houses that were built there in the 1920s as well as lots of history of the parish.
    Looking for any photographs of houses in all parts of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mag given

hotd wrote: »
    I was one of the people involved in the exhibition. Thank you for your comments.

Mag given wrote: »
    Looking for any photographs of houses in all parts of Ireland

I'll take pictures in Rathdrum, Glenealy, Wicklow and Bray, but they are all built in the same style (with the exception of the two detached in Bray and one in rathdrum) if you want.

Would love to compare with the style of the rest. Still curious as to the detached houses; two bedroom and similar square footage to the semis; it's like they were built for the offices in charge?

Andy,
    There appeared to be a practice of the Irish Soldiers and Sailors Land Trust building different style houses for different ranks. For example, in Killester there were 3 types of housing: the largest ones in Demesne were reserved for officers, Middle Third went to the middle ranks and Abbeyfield was reserved for the ordinary ranking soldiers and their families. As the years went by and families got bigger, people did move to the bigger houses within the estate.
    Anyone interested in this topic should check out
    Fraser, M. 1996. John Bull’s Other Homes, State Housing and British Policy in Ireland 1883-1922. Liverpool.
    If anyone wants a copy of another interesting article by Fred Aalen (whos goes into detail about the actual building) or if anyone wants a link to my thesis just drop me a pm.
    In the meantime I will try and post a couple of photos that I got from the ISSLT Annual Reports.

• Advertisement

Apologies for the poor quality

Advertisement