Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireball tonight

• 18-03-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Just coming home from work this evening at around 8:15pm and spotted a really bright fireball passing.

Im in north Dublin but I'd imagin it could have been seen alot further afield.

Did anyone else happen to see it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Im not sure if this is related. At about 11:55 Friday (tonight) I woke up looking out my bedroom window which faces due east. I noticed a point like object near the horizon (20 deg above) moving slightly. Its luminosity and colour, a deep orange, made me think "flame" straight away. I grabbed by iphone and snapped a few crappy seconds. Its not a great camera at night.

The strange thing is the slow unidirectional movement stopped and it appeared to then move about slowly side to side, up and down. I decided it wasnt an aircraft on fire and quickly grabbed the binos as it sank away east. At 10x it appeared point like as a star. No nav lights, no strobe. Flame orange and very luminous. It was the brightest thing in the sky bar the moon by a mile. I lost it as it moved away and sank into the low horizon haze.

Without a doubt it was no ordinary aircraft. I sat for a while after it went and observed through the binos some distant a/c with tell tale nav and strobes. Many many times dimmer.

My second thought was some type of lantern but distance i reckoned by the clouds it moved behind put it out past 50 miles (could be wrong). Also the apparent movement at that distance would have given it a significant velocity. I'll upload the vid. Any ideas?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9784yv27p8vd021/IMG_0247.MOV

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

99% sure its a lantern...

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I saw 3 of them things you just decribed man, tonight at about half 11...

I reckon its more of them lantern things that are so popular these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Yeah probably. I was jarred when i woke so me peepers might not have been workin too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Those lanterns are actually beautiful to look at, i spotted 3 of them floating beside the moon a few weeks back just off the m1- must buy some! Anyone know where sells them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

There were a couple let off in the middle of Bray the other night. 2 of the bags came down in back gardens just up the road from me. Probably a few WTF's uttered when people were letting the dogs out the back for a pee the next morning :D

Advertisement