Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Seamasters

553058.JPG

553109.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭VW 1

CT, out of interest, has picking up the seamaster dampened the love for your other watches? From the point of view that there's a leap of quality so you are wearing it all the time? I've accumulated a larger number of sub 200 euro watches over the years, all of which I like and wear at different times.

Pondering a speedmaster for quite a while now, and often I find myself wondering if picking up one much higher quality piece will lessen my love for the rest of my bunch!

VW 1 wrote: »
    CT, out of interest, has picking up the seamaster dampened the love for your other watches? From the point of view that there's a leap of quality so you are wearing it all the time? I've accumulated a larger number of sub 200 euro watches over the years, all of which I like and wear at different times.

Pondering a speedmaster for quite a while now, and often I find myself wondering if picking up one much higher quality piece will lessen my love for the rest of my bunch!

I do wear the Seamaster quite a lot, it's probably getting as much wrist time as all the others put together but I still wear my Hamilton Khaki Field, my San Martin and Stowa regularly.
    So out of the 24-25 watches there are 4 or 5 I regularly wear and about half the others I would consider wearing at some time but about 8 or 9 I probably will only try on in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

No filter here - this is pretty much the blue the Tudor is in flat Irish light. It changes in sunlight and when the sun goes down.

crZmcUK.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

No filter here - this is pretty much the blue the Tudor is in flat Irish light. It changes in sunlight and when the sun goes down.
    *SNIP*

Looks great. I’m thinking about this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

I do wear the Seamaster quite a lot, it's probably getting as much wrist time as all the others put together but I still wear my Hamilton Khaki Field, my San Martin and Stowa regularly.
    So out of the 24-25 watches there are 4 or 5 I regularly wear and about half the others I would consider wearing at some time but about 8 or 9 I probably will only try on in the future.

Glad to hear the Stowa and omega are getting plenty of wear. It’s an interesting question re if one good watch puts the rest in the shadows. I never had anything to fancy but I found when I had the aqua terra, Seamaster 300 and speedmaster I often ended up wearing the speedmaster most and a ghsock metal for other times where I felt the speedmaster would get beat up. I mostly wear the speedmaster these days but I do have a seiko diver incoming as I missed the dive watch aesthetic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

VW 1 wrote: »

I've a Speedmaster Pro and an Oyster Perpetual and this is what I wear when out and about.

Seiko 'Arnie'. Banie has the same. Love it myself.

553283.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Birneybau wrote: »

Seiko 'Arnie'. Banie has the same. Love it myself.

I've been eyeing up the Arnie for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've been eyeing up the Arnie for a while now.

Mine was for sale last year, then I started wearing it again and withdrew it.
    But, recent acquisitions have put it back to the bottom of my rotation.
    If you are looking? There is most certainly a good deal to be done on it for a parishioner here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Raven Deep Tech
    YDN2u90l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

nj27 wrote: »
    Looks great. I’m thinking about this one.

if you ever want to see it in person, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭CarProblem

So was threatening to sell my Oris and then buy a BB58 - thing is one popped up on Chrono24 at a very good price (UK seller below RRP, used a friends address in NI for delivery) so I bought it saying I'd sell the Oris after, not before (photos are crap, sorry!)

IMG-20210516-180640.jpg

IMG-20210516-180656.jpg

IMG-20210516-180747.jpg

Problem being I now don't want to let the Oris go, I really like it but 2 dive watches, let alone 2 blue dive watches seems silly :eek::confused:

IMG-20210516-180804.jpg

Poljot mechanical

553361.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Nice one - welcome to the club! There must be a fair few BB58's here now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

david wrote: »
    Nice one - welcome to the club! There must be a fair few BB58's here now!

All the BBs would have been seamasters 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

893bet wrote: »
    All the BBs would have been seamasters 5 years ago.

True, tudor have really aced with the BB58. It take the place of the old Seamaster Professional back when it was 3500 euro. Its the new brosnan bond watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Fitz II wrote: »
    True, tudor have really aced with the BB58. It take the place of the old Seamaster Professional back when it was 3500 euro. Its the new brosnan bond watch.

I wish they diversified the 58s a bit apart from just the blue and black. I love the red bezelled black bay but the black bay is ludicrously thick and top heavy. On a 58 it would be a cracker. The harrods edition is lovely too.

The Oris is a cool watch but has to go now. Only justification to keep it is if you convert it to a luxury beater.

redlead wrote: »
    I wish they diversified the 58s a bit apart from just the blue and black. I love the red bezelled black bay but the black bay is ludicrously thick and top heavy. On a 58 it would be a cracker. The harrods edition is lovely too.

The Oris is a cool watch but has to go now. Only justification to keep it is if you convert it to a luxury beater.

Dont forget the new ones the silver one with the taupe which I think looks great in photos and the gold one with the green dial. I would say they will pull out a new colour of two every year for a good few years.

Sell the Oris, once you think about selling a watch its dead to you.

For swimming pool divers.

553376.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Fitz II wrote: »
    Dont forget the new ones the silver one with the taupe.

I actually wasn't aware of those. Must check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Just wanted to share an exciting update regarding my Dolphin Bell and the bracelet. IT FITS!!!!!

jgNWh8d.jpg

3gdMCGh.jpg

KuxHK8T.jpg

nP79nIJ.jpg

HyOXANv.jpg

Qj6UtrH.jpg

PXpd31i.jpg

dj14Unn.jpg

Posted the full story and more pictures over on the Bellmatics forum as always [Link] After finding a Dec66 that came up on the original bracelet, the exact same, I knew it must be able to fit. Had another go and it fit no problem without modifying anything!

It was due to the wear on the endlink along with a tricky angle to seat the springbar correctly.

Cant begin to describe the feeling when those springbars clicked into place and I put it on my wrist for the first time! The Hunt is officially over! .... for the bracelet anyways!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh man, how I know all those feelings of the hunt and the kill after a long search. :) #vintagenuttersindireneedofmeds :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My cheap as chips Mortima I bought a few years back as a nostalgic callback to my first watch, a Mortima "Diver" my parents bought for me on a summer holiday when I was a kid(I still have its battered broken ghost).

553391.jpg

Mortima were the French "swatch", the cheap as chips everyman and woman and child fashion watches, entirely inhouse too. Nothing was bought in. Cases, dials, handsets, hairsprings straps etc. All cheap pin pallets with jewels stamped into the plates for decoration over function and funky designs in plated brass. By the 80's they were still going, but only just, but with their last gasp they developed an inhouse quartz movement as fitted to this example. Ironically it was by a wide margin the finest movement they ever produced. This particular example was NOS and unlike their usual output of friction bezels and press fit casebacks it has a a solid click bezel and a screwdown caseback and crown. :eek: :) I've never seen this particular model in their catalogues. The movement has a trim adjustment and I've tweaked it down to under a minute per year. For under the 30 quid I paid for it, a cheap time machine into my childhood and it reminds me of my mum and dad. :)Very loud tick to it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

NIMAN wrote: »
    Been after a Boldr Venture for a while ...

I've never heard of these before, and now I want one.
    It's all your fault!

YouTube reviews praise it, but not the nato strap. How do you find it?
    I see they have nice canvas buckle straps available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

I forgot how much seiko lume glows even in slightly less light never mind darkness

FB19-C846-734-E-45-D0-A581-F855-D7-EBC0-EE.jpg
    7-ACBB1-E1-38-DE-45-F1-B325-FDFED21-FB402.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lurching wrote: »
    I've never heard of these before, and now I want one.
    It's all your fault!

YouTube reviews praise it, but not the nato strap. How do you find it?
    I see they have nice canvas buckle straps available too.

I must say I like it very much.
    For me it wears slightly bigger than a 38mm watch, but I do have small wrists.
    From the 1st time I saw it, I loved the styling and wanted one. I also like the look of the 1st version of the Venture they made. It was quartz and had standard lugs.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124726035340

On the Boldr NATO strap it does sit high. The strap is very firm and although it might soften down with use, I can't see me using it as I don't like natos, find them too much strap, if you know what I mean. Thankfully it was supplied with a second green strap, a single pass one. Not mad keen on this one either, but it'll do til I track down something I like. I have ordered an orange silicon one just to see what that looks like on it, as it'll match the orange on the 2nd hand, and it'll make the watch modern and sporty for the summer.

But ultimately I can see it ending up on a single plain black strap. I am thinking of ordering an elastic parachute strap to test it out. For some reason Boldr themselves only supply such a strap in blue, no other colour.

This was it outdoors yesterday, on the green strap.

https://flic.kr/p/2kZdne7

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

553432.jpg

I haven't worn this in quite some time. I know it's a distinctly average watch but something about its design really appeals to me, I only wish it were a tad larger.

Having not worn it in some time I didn't realise the strap was that filthy. I need to replace it soon. Also, I didn't realise the hands weren't aligned..... I've corrected that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

So finally have a watch I'm happy to share. Seiko sjn025 Arnie, formally owned by Banie01 and loving it so far. (in the 15mins I've wore it so far :D )

553532.jpg

• Advertisement

Got this in the post today about 75 euro although others on here found it cheaper. I have to say I am absolutely blown away by this watch. This blows so many watches up to about 350 euro out of the water. Flabbergasted.

PXL-20210519-162009001.jpg

Advertisement