Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mira Elite electric shower not working

• 26-12-2010 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Dear friends,

This evening (26/12/10) my Mira Elite electric shower has decided to stop working. The mains water is fine and I had no freeze issues at all over the cold spell. I have taken off the cover and filter to check the obvious. I can run cold taps fine etc.

The shower is powering and running the motor but no water is coming through. I have a feeling I have an air block somewhere. Tell me is it possible to bleed this myself or do I need a plumber.

See image of shower here. Filter (lower left) is off and was clean. Motor is running but no water.

attachment.php?attachmentid=140913&stc=1&d=1293392026

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

the copper pipe on the left is you feed in. there's yur filter to the right as you look in. white plastic that can be turned to loosen out. loosen this and behind it there should be a little button that you can push to see if water comes. take care to make sure power is isolated from mains. and water will come fairly fast so take care here also. but before yo do this take off shower head, let hose onto floor and bturn on shower cold and full power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

cabledude

I have taken out the filter but there is nothing in the back there that is in anyway pushable. There is a white plastic back with a hole at the top. I have tried with a screwdriver to push both surfaces. Neither of them budge.

attachment.php?attachmentid=140918&stc=1&d=1293395005

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

When you turn on the water with the filter out, does it flow through?

If it does, then your supply is ok and you need to try taking off the pipe to the shower head and seeing if you get pumped flow there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Hi there,

Are you sure you dont have a frozen pipe coming to the shower if you have removed the filter bottom left of your picture water should be flowing unlesss you have turned off the valve on the copper pipe to the shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

+1

• Advertisement

No, there is no water coming through to the filter. I have been up to the attic. The pipe is well insulated. It seems to come to the shower from a cold reservoir back tank. That is full and the stopcock is working fine.

Is there any isolating valve on the pipe down to the shower? more thank likely thats where your fault lies water should be runing out the bottom left of the shower if you have the hexagonal plastic filter removed

Well then I would suspect a frozen spot or an airlock. Can you open any other joints between the shower and the tank and see if you have supply there.

Are you sure there isn't a stopvalve that has been closed?

It is most likely an airlock though caused possibly by a skin of ice on the tank even if the pipes themselves didnt freeze. Is there any way you can suck some water through to the shower? (Make sure all power is off!!)

There is a stop valve on the pipe in the attic. Its a red handle type. I adjusted it slightly while I was up there. Might go up again with a hot cloth.

Also tried sucking water to the filter opening with my big mouth. I was afraid to do this with power connected though.

Another thing. Some others mention that this is a self bleeding shower. Some talk about letting it run to bleed for up to an hour. Is this sensible? I have already tried running it for 3-4 mins.

Downstream of the red handle place something warm on it and see does the water flow, cover the handle with a towel and see does the water from the tank push the water through the pipe bleeding the system

• Advertisement

Avns1s wrote: »
    Is there any way you can suck some water through to the shower? (Make sure all power is off!!)

Ive tried this again with the poser on and shower running. After a min or two a slight trickle comes through.

I have also soaked a tea towel in boiling water and wrapped it around the red handle and on one exposed spot south of the red handle. Still nothing.

I wouldnt turn power on to the shower running it dry will wreck the pump the seals will be toast ,keep working from the handle hopefully you will find the spot

Two things: 1. Can you suck water on the supply side rather than at the shower head perhaps where you took out the filter by inserting some pipe and trying to seal around it.

2. DO NOT RUN THIS PUMP / SHOWER UNTIL YOU HAVE WATER AT THE FILTER! You will burn it out!

Two things: 1. Can you suck water on the supply side rather than at the shower head.

2. DO NOT RUN THIS PUMP / SHOWER UNTIL YOU HAVE WATER AT THE FILTER! You will burn it out!

1. No, I have tried, see above.

2. Ive been running it for periods of 3-4 mins as stated above. Will stop now if you say so but how in gods name am I meant to bleed it if I cant run it?

Can you open the pipework on the shower side of the stopvalve and see if you have flow to there?

Can you open the pipework on the shower side of the stopvalve and see if you have flow to there?

No, I have no tools to open pipes

dnme wrote: »
    No, I have no tools to open pipes

OK last question, are you sure that the stopvalve is in the open position. I did miss your post about trying to suck through the filter opening. If the pipe is not frozen and the valve is open, then you should be able to suck water through to the filter opening (unless of course something else is blocking the pipe which is unlikely).

On a positive note, there is unlikely to be anything wrong with your shower once you can get the supply reinstated to it.

OK last question, are you sure that the stopvalve is in the open position. I did miss your post about trying to suck through the filter opening. If the pipe is not frozen and the valve is open, then you should be able to suck water through to the filter opening (unless of course something else is blocking the pipe which is unlikely).

On a positive note, there is unlikely to be anything wrong with your shower once you can get the supply reinstated to it.

The valve handle as an on-off indicator. Either way I have tried it in both positions and in the middle (which is where it was when I went to the attic earlier).

dnme wrote: »
    The valve handle as an on-off indicator. Either way I have tried it in both positions and in the middle (which is where it was when I went to the attic earlier).

OK well bottom line is that you need to get water flowing in that pipe.

There wouldn't be any chance that the handle on that valve is moving but the barrel of the valve is seized which I have seen happen?

Let us know how you get on.

I'm thinking it's plumber time. That could take a few days. Wouldn't mind but I am bad with flu and stinking to high heaven. The last thing I needed tonight was ladders, attics, no shower etc.

Hey Avns1s and others, thanks very much for all the help.

• Advertisement

Just to update

It seems to be back. Just gave it another try. It started to trickle out of the hose (head removed) so I spent the last 5 mins turning off and on again and helping pressure buildup with thumb etc. All of a sudden I got a full flow out of the hose.

I'll put the cover back tomorrow and hopefully the heater etc will work and I can get a dam shower.

That's good news hope it stays going for you enjoy the shower lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Mira elite is a self priming shower. The motor might be making noise but might not be turning right. Are the brushes ok.

My first suspecian is the motor brushes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 skilleen2

Dear All,

I have an Mira Elite ST Electric Shower, the problem with it is that when you turn the shower on the pressure is reduced and water gets very hot. I have replaced the thermal switch (thinking this was the problem) no still no luck. The water flows when the temperature is cold but once the temperature is turned up the flow reduces to a dribble. The ''Low Flow'' light is not coming on at all. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Advertisement