Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Voipbuster now totally free sms, no topup needed

• 12-08-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Have a look at gsm.voipbuster.com and download that app! SMS are totally free on that app when sending via the mobile ! The only problem is that the originator will be your user name on voipbuster. Have been using that java midlet for a while, and noticed Friday that texts came off as 0.00 per message.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

How do you get it to work? On the phone it says unsupported content type and on the computer it says it needs to find which programme to run it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

How do you get it to work? On the phone it says unsupported content type and on the computer it says it needs to find which programme to run it with.
    That's a wml page with a link to the jar file. Can you not open it?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

flodis79 wrote:
    Have a look at gsm.voipbuster.com and download that app! SMS are totally free on that app when sending via the mobile ! The only problem is that the originator will be your user name on voipbuster. Have been using that java midlet for a while, and noticed Friday that texts came off as 0.00 per message.

Enjoy it while it lasts!
    The username recipient thing is a bug on the AFT server side. It should actually appear as if it came from your number (like it does for smsdiscount). I thought that donutface had fixed this a while ago.

dal wrote:
    The username recipient thing is a bug on the AFT server side. It should actually appear as if it came from your number (like it does for smsdiscount). I thought that donutface had fixed this a while ago.
    Ok that's great, but sending voipbuster messages via AFT wont make them free. you have to use their own client.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Thanks!

flodis79 wrote:
    Ok that's great, but sending voipbuster messages via AFT wont make them free. you have to use their own client.
    There's definitely a way to make it free using aft. I might have a look into this.

I have updated aft so that your phone number is shown to the recipient instead of your username.

I am using voipbuster now instead of smsdiscount as it is currently cheaper (though who knows how long that will last for).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

VOIPBuster is another application that has recently stopped working on X-Series - just another victim of Three's unannounced port blocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

i keep getting wrng username/password.

im usint o2 prepay on a nokia 6288 and all default settings are correct.
    any tips?

• Advertisement

Bluefrog wrote:
    VOIPBuster is another application that has recently stopped working on X-Series - just another victim of Three's unannounced port blocking.

The sms feature works on the 3pay mobile broadband addon. Are you talking about the calling feature of the VB java app?

dal: I downloaded the latest version of AFT and entered my VB credentials, but sms's are still coming from my username. I have tried both with and without putting the from-number in the account information. My number is definitely verified.

It also seems that AFT will consider VB accounts that have not been topped up as 'invalid account'. Via VB's own java app you can send sms's from account where the balance is €0.00, but AFT doesn't recognize those accounts. Perhaps you could look into this.

But the most serious thing here, is that I get charged 1c per VB text sent from AFT. The texts aren't shown up in 'recent calls' but I had 48c in my balance before, and now I have sent four test texts, and it's down to 44c now.. How come? Could it be that VB detect that they are not sent from their own java midlet?

Also, please make the input character type 'number's in the from-number field when entering the originator number for Smsdiscount/Voipbuster.

flodis79 wrote:
    dal: I downloaded the latest version of AFT and entered my VB credentials, but sms's are still coming from my username. I have tried both with and without putting the from-number in the account information. My number is definitely verified.
    That's really strange as this is definitely working for me. Have you got the from number EXACTLY as it is written in your account details (with country code etc)?
    flodis79 wrote:
    It also seems that AFT will consider VB accounts that have not been topped up as 'invalid account'. Via VB's own java app you can send sms's from account where the balance is €0.00, but AFT doesn't recognize those accounts. Perhaps you could look into this.
    I did briefly look into how the voipbuster application works by decompiling it. I could emulate exactly what they are doing but if I did that then the texts would appear to come from your username and not from your number.
    flodis79 wrote:
    But the most serious thing here, is that I get charged 1c per VB text sent from AFT. The texts aren't shown up in 'recent calls' but I had 48c in my balance before, and now I have sent four test texts, and it's down to 44c now.. How come? Could it be that VB detect that they are not sent from their own java midlet?
    I also get charged 1c for a text. I don't mind paying this as compared to the voipbuster application, the recipient of my texts sees that it is from my number (and not my username).

I guess if you want the free texts then you can continue using the voipbuster application, but if you want the texts to appear to come from your number then you can use aft.

I might look into this a bit more next week.

dal wrote:
    I guess if you want the free texts then you can continue using the voipbuster application, but if you want the texts to appear to come from your number then you can use aft.

But with the VB app the texts _are_ coming from your own number. It didnt work a few weeks ago, but now it's working fine again.

In AFT, I have entered the verified number exactly as it is in the VB account.

flodis79 wrote:
    But with the VB app the texts _are_ coming from your own number. It didnt work a few weeks ago, but now it's working fine again.

In AFT, I have entered the verified number exactly as it is in the VB account.
    Ok, I will have a look into emulating exactly what the voipbuster application does then, it's fairly straightforward.

As for the other problem, I'm really not sure. Did you use a fresh install (ie overwrite all the previous data)?

dal wrote:
    Ok, I will have a look into emulating exactly what the voipbuster application does then, it's fairly straightforward.

As for the other problem, I'm really not sure. Did you use a fresh install (ie overwrite all the previous data)?

I deleted the old AFT and installed the new one after that. On my Nokia, when I try to upgrade AFT, I get a second AFT version and the old one is still there with the details, while the latest version is asking me to enter my details again. How come it's like that?

flodis79 wrote:
    I deleted the old AFT and installed the new one after that. On my Nokia, when I try to upgrade AFT, I get a second AFT version and the old one is still there with the details, while the latest version is asking me to enter my details again. How come it's like that?
    I have no idea how the nokia works. When in doubt, it's better to delete the previous version and install the new version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

INteresting to hear it works on broadband unlimited now which is what I origiinally had - all my access on non-standard ports died following the upgrade so I forced them th switch me.

What about other apps like skype that use non-standard ports? Maybe I'll insist they swtich me back to unlimited 'til they sort their X-Series out.

Dal can you deduce what port(s) the voipbuster client is using? I'm thinking it's not 80 or 443.

It's working with your own number as sender in AFT - great!

But the texts are sent as 'UrlSMS" and cost 2c. dal, do you think you can check out what's the difference between 'SMS' and 'UrlSMS' in the sending process? I think that's why I cannot use an account with zero balance in AFT, but in VB java app it works, since that app knows that you can send sms's with zero balance, while 'UrlSMS' is processed as 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

Set up a new account where your username is your phonenumber?+3538xxxxxxxx might do the job...

apollodjs wrote:
    Set up a new account where your username is your phonenumber?+3538xxxxxxxx might do the job...

I'm afraid that won't work.. you cannot have only digits in user names, and you cannot have a plus in there either... I once set-up a username where I replaced the zeroes with o's, but people cannot reply directly anyway..

• Advertisement

Any progress on this? The voipbuster app just suddenly stopped working for me on 3pay yesterday, perhaps they blocked the port? Someone knows what port it uses, is it :9000?

Re AFT and VB: I noticed that they are still coming out as UrlSMS, not SMS from AFT, could this be fixed so that we get totally free sms from AFT VB account?

Also, the VB texts via AFT do not support foreign characters like éè etc, which VB java midlet does, could this be fixed? Thanks alot for all hard work, developers!

The way it works for aft is to simply call the following url from the server:

https://myaccount.voipbuster.com/clx/sendsms.php?username=xxxxxxxxxx​&password=xxxxxxxxxx&from=xxxxxxxxxx&to=xxxxxxxxxx&text=xxxxxxxxxx

This can only ever result in a UrlSMS message.

I could try to change it to use sockets (the way the vb java midlet does), but if you say that this has been blocked by Three then there is no point. AFT currently uses http which they won't ever block.

I'm not sure about the foreign characters, this might be a server side issue. Try directly using the aft url (I suggested this to someone a few posts back) to see whether its a server side issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭ Iris Alive Watercolor

im kinda lost as to why people wanna use AFT as opposed to the voip buster client?

some say that it uses your user name as the sender and not your number?

Maybe im getting something wrong, but i just created a voipbuster account there, and installed the client on my Nokia N73, threw in my login details and sent a sms to my friends phone. the sms came from +353879****** and not my username.

And apparently my internet access hasnt been working since the 17th but voipbuster worked!

im kinda lost as to why people wanna use AFT as opposed to the voip buster client?

some say that it uses your user name as the sender and not your number?

Maybe im getting something wrong, but i just created a voipbuster account there, and installed the client on my Nokia N73, threw in my login details and sent a sms to my friends phone. the sms came from +353879****** and not my username.

And apparently my internet access hasnt been working since the 17th but voipbuster worked!

The AFT user interface is much better, it saves sent messages, has an internal address book etc etc.

yes i understand that and the tool is class, but what are the issues people have about the sender name not been their mobile number?

yes i understand that and the tool is class, but what are the issues people have about the sender name not been their mobile number?

If you dont verify your mobile number in the pc version of VB, then it will not show your mobile number but your user name when sending from the mobile version.

flodis79 wrote:
    If you dont verify your mobile number in the pc version of VB, then it will not show your mobile number but your user name when sending from the mobile version.
    There are no longer any issues with this. It used to not work with either the voipbuster client or AFT, but now both clients have that functionality.

flodis79 wrote:
    Any progress on this? The voipbuster app just suddenly stopped working for me on 3pay yesterday, perhaps they blocked the port? Someone knows what port it uses, is it :9000?
    It is port 9000 for the voipbuster client, yes.

dal wrote:
    There are no longer any issues with this. It used to not work with either the voipbuster client or AFT, but now both clients have that functionality.

Yes, that's correct, but some people have problems with it just because they haven't verified their number in the first place.

• Advertisement

ah cool, Im gonna use AFT also

Advertisement