Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for some advice on my situation

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭Hhugedick

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Jaysus, they are definitely two things I would have on my list of considerations if I was spending hundreds of thousands on something that had the potential to effect my life.

Its far from a couple of hundred thousand I spent. Why do you think I moved there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Hhugedick wrote: »
    Ah no man its more than getting home after pints, I wish it was only that. I lived in London, Boston and Dublin covering 15 years. I loved the three cities, I rushed in to buying in portarlington and didn't do my homework. Its a combination of a few things. Anyway its getting easier, I just miss my Sunday morning walk on the bull wall.. I suppose we can't have everything

Serious walks around there. Away up the slieve blooms. Nature better than any man made environment for the head

And portarlingon of all places! Would you try move to Portlaoise instead? Or go walk in emo that's a decent Sunday walk

Oh know its the other direction I'm going, back towards Dublin or as close as I can get. Portarlington is grand now, it just took a while to get use to it. I grew up in knocklyon, my school friends play 5 a side soccer once a week and I drove to it for 3 years after work, I had to pretty much give it up recently due time and costs involved. Needless to say all my mates lived 15 minutes from all weather pitches. Portarlington has a few dubs like me, would move back to Dublin in a heartbeat.

Serious walks around there. Away up the slieve blooms. Nature better than any man made environment for the head

Am with you on that one, nature anyday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A few. One mate got married, and bought a house in Enfield with his wife. He works in Dublin. If you want a house in Dublin, you either have to get a job that pays better, or [sarc] pop out 50 or so sprogs whilst unemployed [/sarc].
    I'm on a decent wage for my line of work and I'm happy in my job so don't wanna leave. It's just upsetting that I've been saving for the most part of my 20s and not I'm at a bit of a dead end
    Well then, be quite. You either push yourself out of your comfort zone to be able to afford a house in Dublin, or buy one within a 2 hour commute of Dublin.

But you say your job is not in Dublin city centre, so maybe look into getting a car so you can drive direct to the job, and avoid the CC? A previous job was in Swords. Commute was 1.5 to 2 hours by public transport, but would've been only 40 minutes if I had a car at the time.
    It's renting with strangers that just gets me down and makes me wanna buy
    Would advise renting from Facebook pages (eg; Rentdublin & RentalDublin) where you meet the tenants, and look for a house that you like both the house & the tenants. Renting a place through a landlord means you won't really know who you're renting with until it's too late. Rented a place via the tenants in Toronto, and it made living there a lot nicer.
    An hour away isn't always an hour away.... I lived in Portlaoise for 4 months which is an hour away but in commute terms is 2hours+ away
    I call a spade a spade. If it's 2 hours commute, it's two hours away.
    Take it as it is; a wake up call.

Heck, at least the houses here are somewhat affordable! In Toronto you either buy what's no better than a mobile home on the flight path of Pearson in Mississauga, or you buy a house "only" an hours drive away (if there's no traffic), in the likes of Orangeville if you're lucky.

the_syco wrote: »
    A few. One mate got married, and bought a house in Enfield with his wife. He works in Dublin. If you want a house in Dublin, you either have to get a job that pays better, or [sarc] pop out 50 or so sprogs whilst unemployed [/sarc].

Well then, be quite. You either push yourself out of your comfort zone to be able to afford a house in Dublin, or buy one within a 2 hour commute of Dublin.

But you say your job is not in Dublin city centre, so maybe look into getting a car so you can drive direct to the job, and avoid the CC? A previous job was in Swords. Commute was 1.5 to 2 hours by public transport, but would've been only 40 minutes if I had a car at the time.

Would advise renting from Facebook pages (eg; Rentdublin & RentalDublin) where you meet the tenants, and look for a house that you like both the house & the tenants. Renting a place through a landlord means you won't really know who you're renting with until it's too late. Rented a place via the tenants in Toronto, and it made living there a lot nicer.

I call a spade a spade. If it's 2 hours commute, it's two hours away.

Take it as it is; a wake up call.

Heck, at least the houses here are somewhat affordable! In Toronto you either buy what's no better than a mobile home on the flight path of Pearson in Mississauga, or you buy a house "only" an hours drive away (if there's no traffic), in the likes of Orangeville if you're lucky.

Jesus I'm shocked Toronto is Dearing than Dublin, I always had the impression that it was a kinda of a German styled rent controlled sort of a city. The complete opposite to the big expensive city's around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I'm amazed that this issue is such a shock to you OP.

Addle wrote: »
    I'm amazed that this issue is such a shock to you OP.

I know its shocking isn't it. Who would have thought it? Absolutely flabbergasted and shocked I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I don't drink, bring lunch every day and have never bought a coffee in my life. I do however love holidays. Honestly they're my only real passion in life is travelling. From Japan to Brazil I've been to them all and I honestly think I'd rather never own a place than not travel!

I'm a bit confused by this thread...

You really need to sort out your priorities. Everyone makes sacrifices when looking to buy a house, even couples. If travel is your thing that's great! If buying your own place is your main priority then do everything you can to work towards that.
    Realistically it is going to be alot tougher to get somewhere on a single salary, but if you want something badly enough you'll find a way, if not you'll find an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hhugedick wrote: »
    Jesus I'm shocked Toronto is Dearing than Dublin, I always had the impression that it was a kinda of a German styled rent controlled sort of a city. The complete opposite to the big expensive city's around the world.
    Keep in mind that €100,000 is about CAD$140,000, but rents have been capped recently.

Any house downtown can reach north of a million very easily! This house was bought for CAD$1.6million before it was modernised. For how it is now, I'd say they could get CAD$2million in todays market.

Considering how many of my posts you quoted you missed the one where I said I bought my own car and where I said I had parking at work.

You all make out like it's just a matter of deciding I want a job that pays 80k don't you think I'd have that if I could..

Mod, I'd really like this shut down it's gone off topic at this point

I am nowhere close to earning that, am a single applicant looking to buy in Dublin also. It is tough as a single buyer, really it is. But your attitude of 'I'm being discriminated against' isn't going to help you. I'm not sure what you expected this thread to be, but there has been some good advice here. Good luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I agree that the odds are stacked against single buyers. I bought on my own so I know how hard it is to get the deposit together, to house-hunt and to pay for the upkeep of one. The mortgage is only the start of the bills that never stop coming through the letterbox. As things stand for you, OP, you're going to find it hard to buy anything that isn't a shoebox or in an undesirable area. It's not nice to read that but it's the truth.

We'd all like to have an 80k job but they're not things that fall into anybody's lap. If you don't want to leave your existing job, is there anything you can do to enhance your position and move up the ladder? Can you upskill or do extra training courses, for example?
    Other than that, all you can do is grit your teeth, make sacrifices and look at it as a short-term pain for a long-term gain.

Dublin's a horribly dysfunctional housing market anyway. The days of someone on a modest income being able to buy a 3 bedroom semi-D in a reasonable are long gone. It is wrong but the market has been out of whack for a long time.

Personally, I think far too many people and jobs are in Dublin. The city's bursting at the seams and there isn't the housing or infrastructure for everyone. They should be encouraging more skilled industries to set up in the regions, and not just be funnelling everybody towards Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The government don't set the prices... Nor do they set the central bank rules. The price of houses is set by market forces and the central bank set the rules based on economic and social criteria.

The reality is that the high prices are due to demand and allot of people can afford the prices. Average salaries etc become irrelevant, only what buyers and afford and are willing to spend. Like I said earlier, renting for life is a reality for many people in the future.

Come on I didn't mean "oh they won't let me buy because I'm single" I mean that a requirement to buy your own home shouldn't rely on two incomes. There should be help or options for those who aren't in that situation. We should be encouraging people to make this moves not making it harder for them

I understand exactly what you meant. My point remains. There was another poster here a few weeks ago with similar gripes and that OP was given pretty much the same advice. The fact is that is the housing market in Dublin. It's rubbish but that is the reality.

• Advertisement

It's very hard to know what's going on. When we had the last bubble, there were economists like David McWilliams, Morgan Kelly and Alan Ahern calling out the bull**** and cheerleading. There were also TV documentaries such as Future Shock and the website The Property Pin. This market is being buoyed by a lack of availability more than banks throwing money at anyone and everyone.

Everybody is going to have their own opinion so all I can advise you to do is keep an eye on the news, read websites and don't trust everything you hear. Also, don't panic buy. I think for now, keep your options open and keep saving

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Banks are lending based on strict rules ,3 .5 times salary. x per cent deposit etc
    this is not 2004 , when joe bloggs who works in dunnes stores , earning 10k could borrow 120k to buy a house in cavan.I think you will have to save alot, and have a good credit rating and maybe you,ll be able to by a 1 bed apartment .
    Most people end up buying something at some point, the choice is buy
    a property or pay very high rents in dublin .
    Most people had to save for years to get the deposit to buy a house, its not easy.
    I do,nt think anyone is panic buying in dublin, prices are high ,but its not like in 3 months a 1bed apartment will cost 30k more than today.
    IF there,s an slowdown in the economy it wo,nt be caused by reckless
    lending by the banks .You have to think it through ,
    do you wish to stay in dublin.IF you wish to buy property in dublin
    it,ll require some planning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement