Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Glebee

Played first round of Spring League yesterday, pathetic golf and got drowned. 17 points with a 24 handicap over 14 holes..:(:( No matter how much I practive I just cant seem to get any consistancy. Ive only really started playing over the last two years but I thing my golf is actually getting worse. Started great with two pars and a bogey in the first three holes and then it just went to pot. My driving was decent but my irons were woefull.. Just dont know where im going wrong opr what to do. It becoming frustrating. If my irons are good, my driving is bad. Then the next day my putting is woefull.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭higster

^^^^^ You are not alone.
    Off 24, 40 points (pick and place though)..best ever.
    Followed 1 week later with a 22 and lucky to get that.

Think I’ll give it up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played my first proper round in the new club today, and really enjoyed it. Shnuck out of work at bit early (i did start at 7am to be fair), and got the full 18 in. Shot 93, which was ok. I did think I was heading for my first sub 90 round, till the 16th par 4 where i got an 8. Pretty much screwed that chance :(

Played decently, and i'm pretty sure i'll break it in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

34 Points on Friday out at an Open in the Monty in Carton. Two scratches on the front had the head down and a three putt from 2 feet didn't help but rallied on the back. Avoided a .1 so job done.

Course is phenomenal btw. Greens are like lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Played in what can only be described as Gale to storm force winds Saturday ... Shot 107... And tbh I'm delighted with that... It could have been much much worse

• Advertisement

I play by myself 90% of the time, my question is what to you all scores yourselves on a scratch hole?

I scorer myself a 10.. Is this too high or low, I actually don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

galwayllm wrote: »
    I play by myself 90% of the time, my question is what to you all scores yourselves on a scratch hole?

I scorer myself a 10.. Is this too high or low, I actually don't know

whatever the min that gives me 0 points
    Triple Bogey on the holes where I have a shot, double bogey on the rest

Thank you. I was wondering.

So I've been scoring myself a little high when I scratch

I shall adjust my marking from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭paulos53

After 4 months of mainly 14 hole comps we had our first 18 hole competition over the weekend. Perfectly timed for Storm Ciara.

I scored 36 points on Saturday which I was happy with in the windy conditions

11 pars
    4 bogeys
    2 doubles
    1 treble

The 2 doubles and treble should all have been a shot better which would have turned a good round into an excellent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Got 9 holes in, in blustery cold conditions on Saturday morning.

Finished with 15 points, which was pretty mediocre.

The positives were I scored nothing worse than a bogey & made a good up&down for par on the index 1

The negatives were that the par on the index 1 was my only par on the day.

3-4 lipped out putts, so could have been a bit better on a different day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭blue note

15 points in that wind was a good score.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snackbox20

No golf on Sunday due to the comp getting cancelled due to the storm.
    Played Dundrum however on the Friday, course was in fantastic nick, but my golf was yeuck!!
    23 pts for the 18 holes. Putting was killing me again >:(

Got 14 holes in on Saturday before it all came down. Played ok, though surprisingly my putting was ****e. Usually one of the better parts of my games. Trying a few of the things i was given in my lesson a few days before, with mixed results. Obviously will take some time for it to click, so will try and get out to the range in the next day or two and then play again this weekend.

A whopping 24 points over 18 holes today, in atrocious weather. First 6 holes was lashing rain and windy, then calmed down a bit for the next 4 or 5 (where i scored most of my points), then picked right back up. Couldn't feel my hands for about 50% of it, and ended up pushing the ball right on about 40% of those shots from not gripping it well.

God i can't wait for it not to be utter ****e weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

23pts (off 15) for 13 holes which wasn't bad considering it was very windy but it should have been much better as I had 18pts after 7 and then just lost my game for the remaining holes.

6 pars,
    2 bogeys,
    4 doubles,
    1 treble!

Decided to brave the elements (all for the sake of the Winter League Team as we're right on the border of qualification) on Saturday morning. Got off the course before the very worst of it came down.

14-hole competition. Wind was blowing a gale for the opening 8-holes, then the rain joined in, so the last 6 were pretty rough with the combination of the two.

Played reasonably well given the weather, 27 points for the 14 holes, so pretty much played to my handicap.

1 Birdie
    6 Pars
    4 Bogeys
    2 Doubles
    1 Lost hole

Hit a decent strike with a 5 wood for the lost hole. But it had a bit of draw on it & the wind was blowing straight sideways. so pulled it hard & turned it into a hook shape. Landing in the rough. Thought I'd find it but the ground was very soft in that spot, and it just never showed up.

Putting was tricky in the conditions, but didn't do too badly. Felt unstable & was sometimes a bit rushed trying to avoid the ball moving on the green.

Felt my swing was in much better shape than the last couple of weeks.

Played my best ever round today, in some pretty rough conditions. Shot an 88 (36 points) over the full 18. It's my first ever sub 90 score, so i'm delighted. And that's with a mini collapse on the 13-15 where i got an 8, 7 and 6 (par 4, 5, 4). Was striking the ball really well, and the new setup i got after my last lesson is definitely helping. I also changed my putter grip, which helped me massively, as my putting has been pretty poor up till today.

One annoying thing was being stuck behind a 4 ball for 6 holes. Pretty much matched up with my bad play, as i got pretty frustrated for a bit. Relaxed after a while though, and just took my time.

Overall though, ****ing delighted :D

Kiith wrote: »
    Played my best ever round today, in some pretty rough conditions. Shot an 88 (36 points) over the full 18. It's my first ever sub 90 score, so i'm delighted. And that's with a mini collapse on the 13-15 where i got an 8, 7 and 6 (par 4, 5, 4). Was striking the ball really well, and the new setup i got after my last lesson is definitely helping. I also changed my putter grip, which helped me massively, as my putting has been pretty poor up till today.

One annoying thing was being stuck behind a 4 ball for 6 holes. Pretty much matched up with my bad play, as i got pretty frustrated for a bit. Relaxed after a while though, and just took my time.

Overall though, ****ing delighted :D

Will keep an eye for the form carrying over to Portmarnock in the morning:)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭kennethrhcp

I know it means nothing to anyone else but I think I gotta start logging my rounds in here again to embarrass myself into playing well :)

Played 1st 18holes of 2020 Saturday. 8hcp

Pars: 3
    Bogeys: 7
    Doubles: 2
    Scratches: 6 (yep... 6)

Pros: 5 wood & long irons went very well

Cons: one 4 putt on par 5 4th... was on in 2
    Four 3 putts
    Chipping around the greens shocking

Surely can't play worse than that again! Foursomes this weekend... my partner might kill me

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Similar to the previous weekend I had some very good holes and some very bad holes. 23pts off 15.

Birdies - 1
    Pars - 4
    Bogeys - 2
    Doubles - 5
    Triple - 1

• Advertisement

26 points for 14 holes yesterday. Scoring was all over the place, with a double, par, double, par, double, par, scratch, par, double, par on the first 8 holes. Alternated between hitting it really well, and shanking it 50 yards :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

20 points from 15 holes on Sunday. Tee shots hooking lost balls and OOB everything going bad for 11 holes (7 points). Tee shot on 15 hooked going OOB hit a tree and came back in play. Made par for 3 points followed home with 2 more pars and a birdie (13 points). Golf's a funny game really

34 points for 18 today. Very hit and miss again, with three pars followed by two scratches. Not striking the ball too well, hitting it an inch or two behind it. Which in this wet weather ends up in some awful shots. Something to work on...whenever it stops bloody raining.

Did get my first birdie in tullamore though, which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Kiith wrote: »
    34 points for 18 today. Very hit and miss again, with three pars followed by two scratches. Not striking the ball too well, hitting it an inch or two behind it. Which in this wet weather ends up in some awful shots. Something to work on...whenever it stops bloody raining.

Did get my first birdie in tullamore though, which was nice.

Today.

Is 34 not out of this world. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭willabur

32 points of 13 in members comp
    Playing well off tee but my iron play has fallen off a cliff. Normally a strong point for me it has been dreadful for the last 2 or 3 rounds. Off the top of my head I miss hit 11 approach shots. Had a mare on short par 4. 4 putted to scratch a hole I was gir

One positive point is that I switched to claw grip with my putter after the mare and really improved my feel with the short stick

Played on Sunday, very windy conditions, combined with a couple of wintry sleet showers didn't make it the most pleasant of days to be out. It was a better day than Saturday though.

Finished with 19 points for 14-holes, so was pretty poor stuff in general. Drove the ball pretty well overall, bar a shocker of a drive on the 1st resulting in a scratch on a scoreable par-5. Struggles with up-and-downs, but I've been putting no work in there, so only have myself to blame.

Biggest thing to come from it though was maybe I'm losing my love for leaving the pin in. In the space of the 14 holes I had 3 putts that bounced out off the pin. They weren't overly pacey, and 2 out of the 3 hit the pin straight on. One hit off-centre, but with the pin out, I'd be at 99% it would have stayed in.

Maybe I just need to be more conscious on windy days, as well as looking at the lean on pins. One of the 3 was on a par 5 which has a very tall pin, as the green is below the level of the fairway. It tends to lean a bit & be very susceptible to the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Played on Sunday, very windy conditions, combined with a couple of wintry sleet showers didn't make it the most pleasant of days to be out. It was a better day than Saturday though.

Finished with 19 points for 14-holes, so was pretty poor stuff in general. Drove the ball pretty well overall, bar a shocker of a drive on the 1st resulting in a scratch on a scoreable par-5. Struggles with up-and-downs, but I've been putting no work in there, so only have myself to blame.

Biggest thing to come from it though was maybe I'm losing my love for leaving the pin in. In the space of the 14 holes I had 3 putts that bounced out off the pin. They weren't overly pacey, and 2 out of the 3 hit the pin straight on. One hit off-centre, but with the pin out, I'd be at 99% it would have stayed in.

Maybe I just need to be more conscious on windy days, as well as looking at the lean on pins. One of the 3 was on a par 5 which has a very tall pin, as the green is below the level of the fairway. It tends to lean a bit & be very susceptible to the wind.

Ah Space the stats for holing putts with Pin in/out are done on pro tours where the pins are of uniform size width etc, dont think the Scott's & De Chamb of this world would leave the pins in on our courses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

First round in a while, first comp in ages.

Unfortunately it was a 16hole comp due to work being done, so i got 14 shots.

35 points with two scratches.
    One was a double on a par3, landed in the face of the bunker and while I got it out I sent it off the run off and failed to get up and down.
    A 7 on a par4 from an OOB drive on the last.

Decent golf otherwise. Irons are poor, are driving is ok'ish. More playing should tighten the driver up and lesson for the irons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Not a great round today - 32 points. But the highlight was an eagle on a par 4 from about 90 yards. Never had one before. Made my day. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snackbox20

23 points after 18 off the green tees in Mount Juliet yesterday. Could not buy a putt on the front nine, lipped out on so many makeable putts. Had four scratches in all including the last two holes which I was disappointed with.
    The course was in fantastic condition and we left in good nick, no trenches there for the Irish Open 😊
    Must get more practice in.

Advertisement