Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mink trapping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Anyone trapping. Put down a cage a few days ago. Nothing yet.

Quiet my end too - heavy rain of the past few weeks probably has them moving beyond their normal routes

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

Got my first of the season last saturday after a week trapping !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Anyone ever try this for mink.
    PEST-STOP ELECTRONIC RODENT KILLER from Screwfix.

I can't get a link to work. Search for Screwfix and search for rat then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Want to be a lot stronger for mink if that is the same yoke we are looking at.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Want to be a lot stronger for mink if that is the same yoke we are looking at.

The thing for €51.95. Designed to killing rats though. Maybe the CO2 powered one would be better. Only that is well over €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

Do you sell the pelts and if so for how much?

riddles wrote: »
    Do you sell the pelts and if so for how much?

Afraid not. Don't know of any place that will take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

How much are the Conibear traps?They are alot more humane and work off pull not pressure.Those gimmicks wont last long in the field.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Fourteen acre used to have them. You will have to use a parcel motel of some sort. Postage to Ireland is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Cheap and nasty mink trap. Acquire a length of about 5foot of Wavin sewer pipe[orange in colour about 8in dia and available usually as a cut off on any building site]. Block off one end utterly and solidly. I just make a plug of
    5ins of concrete, sitting atop of some wadded newspaper in one end. You can get fancy and buy an end cap and glue it on too. Take a can of sardines and dribble the oil down the pipe and chuck the contents down to the base of the pipe. Rest the pipe with the open end up around 30 degrees on a hedge, fence,etc where you think the mink has entered your property.

How this works is corny but simple. The mink climb up whatever and into the pipe, as they are used to holes and tunnels they have no fear of these and smell the fish. They can climb down, but can't turn or climb back up the slippery pipe either.
    You empty the trap by simply putting a sturdy bag, like an empty coal bag, or better an old tough canvas bag like a surplus kit bag over the end, tying it on with some string or duct tape and inverting the pipe. and giving it a shake.Mr mink is deposited into the bag and all you have to do is tie off the neck of the bag nice and secure. You will certainly know there is a mink in it as well by the vibrations and generally annoyed sounds the mink will make . I have caught a half dozen mink with this over the years and it doesn't even look like a trap.Just a discarded bit of sewer pipe.

Whats the best way of discarding the live mink then? Drowning? Want to trap our resident as herself is terrified of it. Don't have a gun, will use the wavin method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Asus1

Whats the best way of discarding the live mink then? Drowning? Want to trap our resident as herself is terrified of it. Don't have a gun, will use the wavin method.

Nah drowning any animal is a cruel and outdated form of ending an animals life,even a pest.If you know nobody who has a gun i would think about seeing if there's a gun club locally someone out of that would dispatch it for you.Other than that if your not comfortable killing it probably best leave it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Asus1 wrote: »
    Nah drowning any animal is a cruel and outdated form of ending an animals life,even a pest.If you know nobody who has a gun i would think about seeing if there's a gun club locally someone out of that would dispatch it for you.Other than that if your not comfortable killing it probably best leave it be.

I'd have no problem killing it, if there was a common way used by those without a gun. I wouldn't be squeamish or that, but would like to be doing it in a way that was generally acceptable etc.

We have ducks, geese, peasants, hare, field mice, moles and even a fox on our property here. All our welcome but we don't want the mink.

I do know a lad who has a gun, might give him a shout and ask him his opinion.

I'd have no problem killing it, if there was a common way used by those without a gun. I wouldn't be squeamish or that, but would like to be doing it in a way that was generally acceptable etc.

We have ducks, geese, peasants, hare, field mice, moles and even a fox on our property here. All our welcome but we don't want the mink.

Well then i would say pop him into a feed bag or something similar,tie the bag tight as close as you can tie it to him and when it calms down knock it on the head.Sounds simple but ive never had to do it so the theory might sound better than the reality.Ive always shot them in cage traps with an air rifle at first and now i use a cci 22lr short bullet.With either i would wait till it was calm and then just shoot it in the head from the top of the cage.Care must be taken with the 22lr even if the bullet was travelling fairly slow.Oh and didn't know we had moles in Ireland is there many where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Would one of the peasants have a gun ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Well then i would say pop him into a feed bag or something similar,tie the bag tight as close as you can tie it to him and when it calms down knock it on the head.Sounds simple but ive never had to do it so the theory might sound better than the reality.Ive always shot them in cage traps with an air rifle at first and now i use a cci 22lr short bullet.With either i would wait till it was calm and then just shoot it in the head from the top of the cage.Care must be taken with the 22lr even if the bullet was travelling fairly slow.Oh and didn't know we had moles in Ireland is there many where you are.

No moles in Ireland lad

Eddie B wrote: »
    No moles in Ireland lad

I thought that as well,wonder what the person is mistaking for moles.

Buy a couple of Fenn traps, and make up some three sided tunnels for them. Easy enough make with some 12mm ply. No need for anything to dispatch with then. Be done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I thought that as well,wonder what the person is mistaking for moles.

Probably a shrew.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Probably a shrew.
    or vole

• Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

or vole

Sounds more plausible actually Eddie.

I thought shrew straightaway because there is an abundance of them not far from where we live.

I called to a lad to go shooting deer early one morning and when he put on his wellie he took it off again straight away and shook it upside down and out fell a shrew as flat as a pancake.

Ah, he said.... I knew I felt something the last time I put that boot on, thought it was me loose sock.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Picked a shrew up once as a kid. Fecker gave me a nasty bite! He met his end when I instinctively threw him down on the floor.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Is this from a mink or otter would ye think?

Is this from a mink or otter would ye think?

I would guess otter. Putting a coin or something for size reference help especially when trying to identify scat and footprints from photo's.

Where was the scat? Beside a drain or stream, or a large river?

I would guess otter. Putting a coin or something for size reference help especially when trying to identify scat and footprints from photo's.

Where was the scat? Beside a drain or stream, or a large river?

It was where 2 drains meet a river. Seemed to be a good bit of activity around the place

It was where 2 drains meet a river. Seemed to be a good bit of activity around the place

Always a good location to set a mink trap. Even if it is Otter scat, you'd probably have mink there too. I usually don't trap this time of year partially because people out fishing might stumble upon my traps, and also im busy with other stuff during the summer months

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

First pic looks like a latrine area. Do otters and/or minks regularly use the same location to defecate?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
      First pic looks like a latrine area. Do otters and/or minks regularly use the same location to defecate?

Yes both mink and Otter use certain locations to defecate. In fact, the phrase "otter toilet" is commonly used to describe such area's. I think they are used to mark territories, especially in locations as described above, where different bodies of water meet.

Always a good location to set a mink trap. Even if it is Otter scat, you'd probably have mink there too. I usually don't trap this time of year partially because people out fishing might stumble upon my traps, and also im busy with other stuff during the summer months

Ya I might set a trap there and see what happens. It's on a bit of land I'm after buying.
      Fishermen would be very rare around there

Ya I might set a trap there and see what happens. It's on a bit of land I'm after buying.
      Fishermen would be very rare around there

Go for it! Let us know how you get on

• Advertisement

Any mink being trapped in the last few months.

Advertisement