Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tusk's Walrus - Le Reveal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

adox wrote: »
    Yeah well I’m new around these parts and don’t know how to please you yet!

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a4a1285697730215a2123fb0d5608fd4d6de50ac5&rid=giphy.gif

:pac:

Come on Tusk Face!! We are waiting!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

We have a WW starting! Give the man a break.

Tusker you take it easy, do it when you feel ready.

(>'_')>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

fixXxer wrote: »
    We have a WW starting! Give the man a break.

Tusker you take it easy, do it when you feel ready.

(>'_')>

Who are you and what have you done with the real fixXxer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Well... Now that fixxxer has calmed his jocks I'll get this kicked off. I was really just waiting for him to stop givin out to me. I've been ready to go since Monday really :P

We have 27 entries to this, so I don't expect to get through each reveal in one day. I'll kick Round 1 off in the next while and it will run for as long as it needs to.

So, a reminder of what round 1 is all about:

1. The Pinger
    There are certain songs that just have an astronomical effect on me. No matter how many times I hear them they evoke a serious level of emotion in me. Send me a song that does the same for you. Happy, sad, excited, it's up to you.

Remember to share your reasons for your choices with the class as your songs show up :D

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I was so gutted I'd used Nice Weather For Ducks, my go to happy song, in Necro and Stu's walrus :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I was so gutted I'd used Nice Weather For Ducks, my go to happy song, in Necro and Stu's walrus :p

Nightmares.... actual nightmares!!! :pac:

Necro wrote: »
    Nightmares.... actual nightmares!!! :pac:

All the ducks are swimming in the water, valdaraldo-raldo, valdaraldo-raldo :)

For each round, I wanted to share a song as an example from my own perspective. I had tried to add these to the OP, but I was on holiday so it didn't work properly and I took them out.

So I'll share them before each round :D

My Pinger Example

I was a moody teenager when this song came out, right around the time I broke up with my first girlfriend. My parents were also going through a bad time, and this song wrenched my heart everytime I heard it - seeing multiple parts of my life in it and seeing things from my parent's broken perspective. The effect it had on me was so much that I'd have to turn it off anytime it came on. It's not so intense any more, but it still hits me in the feels a bit. Lovely tune.

Quality tune that :)

I have a similar reaction with a couple of songs, even though I know I love them I physically can't listen to them anymore for various reasons. It's crazy how powerfully music triggers memories

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Lol... Necrina might outscore me this game :eek:

Though I'm happy with my choices. We've got our own side comp running here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

giphy.gif

Can't wait to see what song portrays that emotion, Trig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

FYI: I have just shared all real names with tusk as he believes he is able to maintain the anonymity of the contest himself, without the airgap I was supplying.

sKeith wrote: »
    FYI: I have just shared all real names with tusk as he believes he is able to maintain the anonymity of the contest himself, without the airgap I was supplying.

Huge thanks to sKeith for his help on this, and his commitment to maintaining integrity in the anonymous nature of the game.

To expand on how I've kept this completely anon:
    • Each round was separated into its own sheet.
    • Fake names were immediately hidden.
    • Each round was sorted by alphabetical song name to hide fake name row patterns.
    • When finished scoring each round, I'll show the fake names from that sheet only.
    • Real names will be mapped to fake names in that sheet only.
    • Reveal for that round begins.
    • Remaining rounds stay anon by virtue of me not knowing the fake names, and not knowing the order of the fake names within each row, within each sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

kitten_k wrote: »
    Who are you and what have you done with the real fixXxer?

You know what happens in the MSpaint game. I'm a changed fixXxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I’m quite excited for this tusk. Loved the categories but gave a speed entry.

This seems like a properly professional job

Oh lads, the joy and excitement in my little heart. ROUND 1 IS COMPLETE!!!!

Let the games begin...

UnknownHappyAnemone-size_restricted.gif

A quick note too:

I know music is very personal and it can hurt when someone dances on your choices. Some of my comments might be harsh, but that's just because I'm so intense about my music. I still love you all xxx :pac:

REVEAL 1 BEGINS

14 points to TNT-Crew
    Vale
    for Stereophonics - Dakota.

My notes:

Listen 1: Like it. I've heard it before, but not necessarily paid much attention to it. It's got a bit of belt in it, but not enough to push it higher unfortunately. Solid tune though. I don't think I'd turn it off if it came on.

Listen 2: Yeah grand song, not bad, not great. I like the chorus riff, pretty sweet. But other than that it's mostly just ok.

• Advertisement

tusk wrote: »
    A quick note too:

I know music is very personal and it can hurt when someone dances on your choices. Some of my comments might be harsh, but that's just because I'm so intense about my music. I still love you all xxx :pac:
    tenor.gif?itemid=4860621

I nearly selected that one myself :pac: its "our song" with the missus.

13 points to Automation -
    kitten_k
    for Luther Vandross - Dancing with My Father

Notes:

Listen 1; nice tune. I like it. smooth as heck. I'm hoping for some power push at some point... if it comes, it likely gets 2 extra points. It didn't come :(

Listen 2: Nice beat, nice vocals. I can see where the emotion could be found in this. Yep, there it is. nice. Feel ripe for a bit of a belty bridge later on, hope it shows up. I could listen to this again, no bother. Will likely check out some more by this dude. Oh here's the belt....Oh that was short. Ah disappointing belt. If he'd have gone on for a bit more with that, it would have been special. unfortunate.

Loving the fact the comments are just a real time inner monologue :p

The lazy man's way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Ah thought that would ave done better :(

Its brilliant :pac:

tusk wrote: »

I wonder if we'll hear this again in round 5

15 points to Revolution -
    OurLordAndSaviourSKEITH
    for Queen - Radio Ga Ga

Notes:

Listen1: a classic. how can you not like a bit of freddy. It's a super tune, but too well known to get to the top. Not one of my favourite Queen songs, but still a classic for sure.

Listen2: Not gonna give this a second listen. It's gettin 7 off the bat, dunno what I gave it last time, but here we are.

A note on the scoring system... I scored each song out of 10, twice, with the scores and notes from listen 1 hidden during listen 2. I combined the two scores to get a total and that built up the general lay of the scores and positions. Though some were moved up and down a bit as a did final scores.

• Advertisement

Another note: I listened to every song on spotify where possible. Where it wasn't possible I listened on youtube with the video hidden. I wanted the music to be scored alone and not have the video impact my decisions.

Advertisement