Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Airport - News & Updates

• 31-12-2017 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

There is not a whole lot of discussion about Ireland's regional airports in this forum so I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread on Kerry Airport (KIR/EIKY).

----

Some recent developments:

- Building work is underway on departures lounge upgrade (extending the existing lounge slightly apron side) and a new pre-boarding holding area . This is only the second major change to the early 1990s terminal building following the new passenger and baggage screening area added a few years ago.

- A new aircraft hanger build towards the end of the old runway was completed earlier this year. Interestingly, there has been no announcement about it at all. You can catch a small glimpse of it in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDrvpYVy8s

- A new Ryanair Kerry-Berlin SXF was launched in October. Although it is continuing this summer and a lot of effort is made to advertise it by the airport and local tourism authorities, my impression is that it is struggling to generate reasonable yields. Even the long established Hahn route suffers in winter so I hope Ryanair gives it some time to prosper.

- An announcement for the 2018-2022 Kerry-Dublin PSO is eminent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭durandal01

Munster Joinery built the new hanger, it's accessed via the gate behind the club hanger.
    I heard ownership transfers to the airport after 20 years.
    I also heard that 2017 was a record year for private AC and biz jets.
    I'm open to be corrected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

The new hangar is a semi private endeavour, with hangarage available for rental for visiting or based executive aircraft. There may be another hangar identical to it being built next to it in the near future...

Bizjets in particular seem to be moving through KIR in ever increasing numbers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

No surprise Munster Joinery built a hanger given that they have one permanently based aircraft (N272NR) and I believe they may have a 2nd one, Cessna 525A that often departs Kerry using a similar callsign?

The new hangar is a semi private endeavour, with hangarage available for rental for visiting or based executive aircraft. There may be another hangar identical to it being built next to it in the near future...

Bizjets in particular seem to be moving through KIR in ever increasing numbers.

Feck'n magic!
    The building, renovation and cute marketing of new super-grade hotels and golf courses in the county is playing no small part in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know if Ryanair will be providing flights from Kerry to Faro this summer? There are no dates shown on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

abff wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know if Ryanair will be providing flights from Kerry to Faro this summer? There are no dates shown on their website.

Appears to have gotten the chop alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Appears to have gotten the chop alright.

Thanks. Has that been confirmed, or is there a possibility that it might be reinstated later in the year?

abff wrote: »
    Thanks. Has that been confirmed, or is there a possibility that it might be reinstated later in the year?

Not confirmed however these thing never are. If it's not in the engine now it won't be, I've never seen a case where a route which has ran already in previous summers was put in this late.

This is my opinion, but it's a fairly certain opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

That is a loss for the airport. At its its peak, Faro generated some 20,000 passengers for the airport and was even more popular than Alicante in 2012 and 2014.
    Faro passenger numbers (inbound and outbound)
    2012: 20,182
    2013: 19,617
    2014: 18,688
    2015: 8,701
    2016: 8,432

That's quite a decline, I haven't been keeping much of an eye on Kerry, but I think it was reduced in it's running season in 2015?

The increase in the service from Shannon and Cork hardly helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ryanair loaded the usual extra capacity flights about a month ago e.g. Usual 2nd Cork tenerife flight in summer so probably unlikely. Reality is kerry people will travel

Good news.

Faro is back. Twice weekly Ryanair flights from June-September, meaning 9 additioanal flights compared to 2017.

Bizzare, never seen this happen before.

Good news no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Judging by the post on Kerry’s Facebook page, management had to do some persuading to convince Ryanair to operate it

And also announced today that Stobart have secured the Kerry and Donegal PSOs again.

Shn99 wrote: »
    Judging by the post on Kerry’s Facebook page, management had to do some persuading to convince Ryanair to operate it

The persuading was probably in the form of financial incentives.

embraer170 wrote: »
    And also announced today that Stobart have secured the Kerry and Donegal PSOs again.

http://www.newstalk.com/New-contract-awarded-for-air-routes-between-Donegal-Kerry-and-Dublin#.WlkSY6nV4s8.facebook

11.30pm, Saturday, 13/01/2018.
    KIR - SXF , 18/01/2018 = €12.99
    SXF - KIR , 21/01/2018 = €24.47
    Not a very good omen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

durandal01 wrote: »
    11.30pm, Saturday, 13/01/2018.
    KIR - SXF , 18/01/2018 = €12.99
    SXF - KIR , 21/01/2018 = €24.47
    Not a very good omen.

Took a look at the Hahn route as well.

11:45pm, Saturday, 13/01/201

KIR - HHN 15/01/2018 €26.92
    HHN - KIR 19/01/2018 €22.02

I think a lot of it is to do with January and being quiet. I'd imagine they will at least give Berlin the summer and see how it goes, it should do good then.

Even driving around the Long Term car park in Kerry this evening, it a lot quieter than it was in October/November/December.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I would say that the low fares are more represtative of what is happening in Killarney and Kerry. The absolute ripoff which is now happening in hotels, bars and restaurants will kill the tourism trade in Kerry. Couple with January's inclement weather and the lack of spending power across Europe you could see a lot of businesses struggle in Kerry, although for a lot of them I have zero pity in that they have only themselves to thank with their disgraceful ripoff pricing. When a hotel and dinner costs less in London coupled with weak sterling you will find it hard to attract tourists from the UK or the continent. Things are heading towards Norwegian levels now in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Ryanair Hahn-Kerry fares actually seem higher now (January-March) than last year at this time.

That is probably down to better yield management rather than increased bookings.

Doltanian wrote: »
    I would say that the low fares are more represtative of what is happening in Killarney and Kerry. The absolute ripoff which is now happening in hotels, bars and restaurants will kill the tourism trade in Kerry. Couple with January's inclement weather and the lack of spending power across Europe you could see a lot of businesses struggle in Kerry, although for a lot of them I have zero pity in that they have only themselves to thank with their disgraceful ripoff pricing. When a hotel and dinner costs less in London coupled with weak sterling you will find it hard to attract tourists from the UK or the continent. Things are heading towards Norwegian levels now in Ireland.

Saturday night, 1 room-2 pax, town center hotel isn't too bad.
    https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotels-g186612-Killarney_County_Kerry-Hotels.html
    A polite phone call directly to reception off season can often result in a generous mark down.
    Town center B&B's will average about €35 PPS.
    The town's pint of G averages €4.20, plate lunch for €10 and dinner main course €15 to €20. You can pay less for these things or a way more if you so wish.
    The locals are always amused when a visitor hands over a fiver for a pint and then inquires how much more is wanted.
    The myth that Killarney is a rip-off is a throw back to the '70s.

First sign that Kerry-Berlin may not operate next winter. It is not bookable, while the rest of the Kerry routes are.

embraer170 wrote: »
    First sign that Kerry-Berlin may not operate next winter. It is not bookable, while the rest of the Kerry routes are.

Give it a while, the newer routes are always slower to be added than the long time existing routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Shame if they scrap the Berlin route as it's a real joy to fly from Kerry airport.
    I flew Kerry - Schönefeld last November and the flight was pretty full.

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Shame if they scrap the Berlin route as it's a real joy to fly from Kerry airport.
    I flew Kerry - Schönefeld last November and the flight was pretty full.

Must point out that Shannon-Schönefeld was always quite full also, it's the low fares that filled them that destroyed yield.

My impression is that fares were low and loads were comparatively low (70s-80s and not the Ryanair’s 90+% average).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Know a few people who have done this flight and everyone of them have said the return flight kind of kills the weekend due to the timing. It's too early, and late enough on the outbound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

tototoe wrote: »
    Know a few people who have done this flight and everyone of them have said the return flight kind of kills the weekend due to the timing. It's too early, and late enough on the outbound

That's very true.
    The outbound doesn't bother me too much as you are still in Berlin for around 8:30pm local time but yeah flying back at 6am on a Sunday morning is an absolute killer.
    Shannon had perfect time slots....something like arriving in Berlin around 2pm and landing back in Shannon for 3pm.

Advertisement