Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retro game music covers

• 10-06-2014 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A while back I discovered the work of Smooth McGroove and decided to start something similar, ie:covering retro game tunes using my own instrument ... the irish banjo!! :) oh yes!

I've a few done, castlevania, link to the past, secret of mana, turrican, ffvii ...
    and megaman x :)

hope you like it.
    BGO

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That's brilliant! Had a listen to Zelda and Turrican 2 aswell - excellent stuff. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's fantastic!
    What next?
    Sonic the Hedgehog on a Concertina and a Bodhran?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's fantastic!
    What next?
    Sonic the Hedgehog on a Concertina and a Bodhran?

... you think I wouldn't do it ?? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

LongZ wrote: »
    .u think I wouldn't do it ?? :D:D

I'd like to request music from Crime Fighters, called "going to hell" :)

don't think I know it, got a link for it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

OMFG!!! That's awesome dude!

Delighted to see an Irish guy having a go at this, I hope you go viral!

Have you ever considered doing live gigs using a Boss Loop station type thing?

That would be so awesome, I'd travel all the way upto Dublin just to see it! If you're living in Dublin that is!

been thinking about it yeah ... need to get a loop pedal first though, and my own banjo (this one's a loan :D ) but it's feasible.
    I'm in Kinvara, Galway

been thinking about it yeah ... need to get a loop pedal first though, and my own banjo (this one's a loan :D ) but it's feasible.
    I'm in Kinvara, Galway

Was only talking to a taxi driver last night about Galway and how i need to spend a weekend up there.

Heard so much great things about the place from friends that went up there, I've only ever passed through on a bus but its a lovely spot.

I'm probably a bit over enthusiastic, but I have serious respect for you already, I think you're extremely talented.

And I'm really looking forward to seeing more from you in the future!

(okay i think I've totally just "fangirled" as Mr. Vestek would say!)

waveform wrote: »
    (okay i think I've totally just "fangirled" as Mr. Vestek would say!)

:D:D thanks ;)

• Advertisement

Became a Patreon for the first time ever!

That was me suggesting Scrap Brain Zone on facebook btw!

Now I think i'll stop spamming the thread and wait for more videos!

quick question to the admins, would it be cool to post new covers in this thread when they're out. I make 1 every two weeks at the moment.

I think you'll be fine! ;)

This is your thread at the end of the day.

PM Ciderman if you want full clarification!

Wow! You're a man of many talents!

Absolutely love the colour in this video also!

I think Wonder Boy 3 works the best with the banjo so far, that tune sounds like it's actually meant to be played on the banjo!

And it blends in so well with the vilage theme, its such a happy little chiptune! :)

Never actually heard it before or played the game before this video.

I would argue this game has some of the best tunes on the master system, they're so melodic and beautiful it's hard to think they came out of the SMS.
    I wanted to make a cover of this one too at some point:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

quick question to the admins, would it be cool to post new covers in this thread when they're out. I make 1 every two weeks at the moment.

That's fine, keep up the good work!

I've just listened to the Original village song now, and what you have done with is actually amazing. I was expecting the original to sound a bit better than it actually is, so it further shows the talent you have!

Hiya,

here's my latest cover: Castlevania 2 - Bloody Tears on NES

hope you like it
    Ollie

Hiya,

Here's my latest video and 12th cover : Zelda, a Link to the past - Darkworld theme :

Hope you like it . I've 12 covers now so I should be able to release a first full album soon ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That's amazingly well done, fair dues. Any love for Earthbound? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNGY_fvXUCY :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Aw man, simply LOVE that one! :D

Myrddin wrote: »
    That's amazingly well done, fair dues. Any love for Earthbound? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNGY_fvXUCY :o

actually never thought about it no... but I'll have to give it a listen to see if any of it is feasible. My list is growing 10 times faster than I can make them :)

My list is growing 10 times faster than I can make them :)

Ha, I'd well believe it. Keep up the great work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Not exactly the same as previous videos but I do these sometimes;

Few more on my page, they take time but I really enjoy listening back to them. 'Fake' but honestly, I wouldn't have the patience for tracking software...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Check this out guys, pretty amazing metal cover version of the C64 Ocean tape loader music.

Hiya,

Here's my latest video and 12th cover : Zelda, a Link to the past - Darkworld theme :

Hope you like it . I've 12 covers now so I should be able to release a first full album soon ! :)

I see The Game Chasers have liked this video...coming up in the world! :)

cool. where did you see that ?

cool. where did you see that ?

If you go to their channel, & look at 'recent activity', it's in there

bf2hjp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Hi,

A while back I discovered the work of Smooth McGroove and decided to start something similar, ie:covering retro game tunes using my own instrument ... the irish banjo!! :) oh yes!

I've a few done, castlevania, link to the past, secret of mana, turrican, ffvii ...
    and megaman x :)

hope you like it.
    BGO

Subscribed love it,love all the retro game music have a few original cd soundtracks from years ago such as streetfighter etc..

Advertisement