Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toshiba Satellite L500-19x wireless stopped working

Options
  • 08-04-2010 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

I am having a problem with my toshiba laptop.The wireless function for the internet has stopped working all of a sudden. There used to be an orange light at the front that would be lit up, but there no sign of light anymore. Its such a pain, because know i have to sit right beside my internet modem with a stupid ethernet cable. If anyone knows anything about this problem,or they have had this problem happen them, could you please help. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭asgaard

It might be missing Wifi drivers or might be switch on mobo gone (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055869366)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭mista_2k10

asgaard wrote: »
    It might be missing Wifi drivers or might be switch on mobo gone (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055869366)
    What are wifi drivers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mista_2k10 wrote: »
    I am having a problem with my toshiba laptop.The wireless function for the internet has stopped working all of a sudden. There used to be an orange light at the front that would be lit up, but there no sign of light anymore. Its such a pain, because know i have to sit right beside my internet modem with a stupid ethernet cable. If anyone knows anything about this problem,or they have had this problem happen them, could you please help. Thanks.

Is there a manual switch for disabling the WiFi - like on some Dells? You may have knocked it off in error. It could also be a Fn+F-key switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you can't find something simple to fix it, it'll probably be cheaper to get a USB or PCMCIA wifi card, rather than getting it fixed in a shop.

However ... to start with
    Have a look in DeviceManager, see if it knows it has a wifi adapter

or type ipconfig /all at a command prompt, see if it mentions an adapter with 'Wireless' in the name, like this

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5005GS Mini PCI Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-FC-xx-xx-xx [edited]
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::211:fcff:feba:fce%5
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 April 2010 14:36:43
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 April 2010 14:36:43

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Is there a manual switch for disabling the WiFi - like on some Dells? You may have knocked it off in error. It could also be a Fn+F-key switch.
    Theres no manual switch on this particular model and ive tried holding down the Fn and F8 key which has a wireless logo beside it, and still no joy..:(

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If you can't find something simple to fix it, it'll probably be cheaper to get a USB or PCMCIA wifi card, rather than getting it fixed in a shop.

However ... to start with
    Have a look in DeviceManager, see if it knows it has a wifi adapter

or type ipconfig /all at a command prompt, see if it mentions an adapter with 'Wireless' in the name, like this

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5005GS Mini PCI Wireless Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-FC-xx-xx-xx [edited]
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::211:fcff:feba:fce%5
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 April 2010 14:36:43the
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 April 2010 14:36:43
    Ive tried typing the ipconfig into "run" and when i press enter it comes up for about a second and then goes of the screen i dont know why :confused:....
    what is a usb or pcmcia wifi card? and where can i get one?

[QUOTE=What are wifi drivers??[/QUOTE]
    Wifi drivers you can get on Toshiba website.

wait i got something up like you have there....
    it says "realtek family controller"

Wifi drivers you can get on Toshiba website.
    Ive tried that out and there was no success

I'm just googled to find any solutions and get something http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=185596

Might be that wireless driver/card gone

• Advertisement

I'm just googled to find any solutions and get something http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=185596
    Ive found this already but i just thought someone on this might have a different solution to my problem. Thanks anyway for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Derby1

1. Restart your laptop.
    2. Press F2 or F8 to enter SETUP (or whatever your laptop says to do to interupt startup)
    3. Once in SETUP tab across until in see Wireless Adaptor - you will probably find it is disabled.Change its status to LAST STATE or ENABLED.
    4. Hit F10 to save and continue loading windows.
    5. Post back please!
    6. If you have never been into SETUP before do a few searches so you see how to navigate through the menus or look at http://www.computerhope.com/help/phoenix.htm

I had a similar problem a few months back. I searched everywhere for a solution including the ones above. When none of them worked I went back to basics - voila!

Had a quick check - looks like Toshibas have a different way to enter SETUP...

1. Starting with the computer fully off, turn it on by pressing and releasing the power button. Immediately and repeatedly tap the Esc key, until the message "Check system. Then press (F1) key" appears on the screen.

2. Press the F1 key. The BIOS setup program will appear.

I haven't tried what you've said yet because im afraid to do it incase i f**ck it up even more

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

1. see if you can enable wireless from your control panel (start> settings> control panel), look at "windows mobility centre" (enable wireless), "Network and sharing center", "Internet options" (connections tab),

make sure you have file sharing and that stuff switched on.

2. make sure there are no conflicts in your device manager (right click 'my computer' icon> properties..> device manager)

3. if it's still not working, you may have to bite the bullet and go through your bios. get help if you need it.

How did you get on.

Advertisement