Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last cut of the year?

• 04-11-2016 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

We always have a thread about the first cut of the year...but when do you good people do your last cut of the year?....my lawn is a bit tatty long in patches..should i cut it one more time or will it bring on moss if i cut at this late stage??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

We did our last during the week. It was still growing up until very recently.

• Give it a cut Top setting on the mower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Giancarlo Ambitious Ozone

I never know when the last cut will be. I have cut the lawn in December when it was mild and dry. I cut last week and will cut next week again if the weather keeps like this. All high cuts at this time of year, lf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Cut ours last Friday , got 3 bin loads and again on Monday as there was growth on it, just over a bin load. Hopefully the cold weather this week curtailed the growth . The main reason I cut it on Monday was to get it back down for the cold snap and knowing rain was due for weekend .

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

No such thing as last cut or first cut for that matter, you simply cut your lawn whenever it needs to be cut and you cut at the appropriate height for the time of year. E.g. this time of year the cutting height should be raised so you are just trimming the top 1 or 2mm of the lawn and are getting rid of the uneven look that happens when we have the sporadic growth the occurs during the winter months, also if you have leaves on your lawn it's a good idea to use the mower to collect them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

mine needs a cutting right now, temps have gotten lower so not much growth left but it's too wet to do without constant clogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭tampopo

I will do one more, I think.

I've seen waterways Ireland cut grass on Dec 7th.

I cut mine yesterday but I'm not assuming I'm done for the year yet by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I cut last weekend and it has put on some growth in a week. I think weather permitting, i might get another cut done by end of Nov. I think grass still grows over winter but at a slower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

I'll do mine again this coming weekend. Its last cut was the weekend before last, so after raking all of the leaves off it first, it'll get another go with the lawnmower then. Hopefully it won't be the last cut of the year though as there seems to be a bit of growth there still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cut mine last week and there has been next to no growth since.

So I think maybe one final cut might do it now in the next week or so. Then a spreading of Autumn feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Cut it again on Sunday, just the one bin load, which was surprising beating on mind the low temperature.

Cut on Monday last, before the rain. Set at 75mm. Will get one more cut in I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Cut lots of grass today. Plenty of growth since the last cut about 3 weeks ago. Surely it will stop growing soon. Winters definitely appear to be getting much shorter.

Got a cut done on the smaller front garden on Monday, after getting rid of a mountain of leaves.

It looked in fairly good nick when cut, will now get to put on the autumn fertilizer.

Decided to leave the back garden, doesn't drain as well and a lot wetter. Looks like it''ll be March before it sees the mower again.

Finally decided, yesterday, to run the mower dry for the winter. Ran it over the lawn while I was at it. Just need to give it a good cleaning now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Finally decided, yesterday, to run the mower dry for the winter. Ran it over the lawn while I was at it. Just need to give it a good cleaning now.

You may of run it dry but the carb is still full of fuel unless you drain it. Bolt on the bottom of the float chamber. This will also remove any collected water which can cause corrosion over the winter.

Discodog wrote: »
    You may of run it dry but the carb is still full of fuel unless you drain it. Bolt on the bottom of the float chamber. This will also remove any collected water which can cause corrosion over the winter.

You see, I'm a 72 year old with no technical knowledge whatsoever. I don't even know what a float chamber is. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Float chamber is where fuel sits between the fuel tank and the cylinder. It means there is a constant fuel pressure (bit like a header tank in the attic)

As for the grass I last cut it early in November and as it's not growing now and the cold looks like staying around I reckon that's it for the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

You see, I'm a 72 year old with no technical knowledge whatsoever. I don't even know what a float chamber is. :)

72 my ass. Here you're as fresh as any 29year old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I went over it again today, to pick up the last of the leaves. And to use up the last of the petrol.

I did the back garden (well part of it anyway) a few days ago there, as we had a good mild dry spell and the grass could have done with a trimming..

All done now I think until March.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

NIMAN wrote: »
    I did the back garden (well part of it anyway) a few days ago there, as we had a good mild dry spell and the grass could have done with a trimming..

All done now I think until March.
    Amazing you can predict the future, what do you think the lotto numbers will be next week?.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Grass is still growing, I'd say. Just watching the weather over the next few days to see if I could sneak one last cut (at the highest possible setting).

I chanced a cut but am hoping there isn't a sudden dip in temperatures in the coming week.

• I chanced a cut but am hoping there isn't a sudden dip in temperatures in the coming week.

I did too on Thursday. The lawns are looking nice and green the to the mild weather. Not too worried about the frost as I am right on the west coast and we never get it as bad as further inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭jprboy

I chanced a cut but am hoping there isn't a sudden dip in temperatures in the coming week.

There looks to be a cold spell on the way from the middle of next week onwards:

Outlook

The weather will be very unsettled and changeable in the week ahead, cold also especially from midweek on with some snow and ice likely.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

jprboy wrote: »
    There looks to be a cold spell on the way from the middle of next week onwards:

Outlook

The weather will be very unsettled and changeable in the week ahead, cold also especially from midweek on with some snow and ice likely.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/
    Thanks for the tip off. I'll have to wait and see but that doesn't sound very promising. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭jprboy

Thanks for the tip off. I'll have to wait and see but that doesn't sound very promising. Fingers crossed.

You're welcome.

I wouldn't worry about it, grass will always bounces back, no matter what the weather in this country throws at it.

Advertisement