Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

PS3 or XBOX?

both

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Nickco

Hell yeah, looking forward to the new devil jin/kazuya. I loved the old tekken 3 style but this new one isn't looking bad. You guys should try and watch blood vengance online, the animated movie, pretty damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

For me it keeps coming back to how much of a crying ****ing shame it is about those juggle combos, it's like they've taken an aspect of Tekken that was made too important and tripled the importance of it again. and they think they're making the game better. you can't make everyone rich by printing more money, your just reducing the value of things. And you can't make tekken good by giving everyone 13 frame launchers and giving even more importance into a system where hours or practice results in knowing a series of "phone numbers" that give 100 damage that is unavoidable upon inception.

launchers and the juggling system are now the only thing that matter in Tekken, with almost nothing else getting a word in (besides spacing, but that's mostly to avoid being launched) the usefulness of a move now is solely dependant on wither it's a launcher, a counter hit launcher or not, and wither it is or is not punishable by a launcher or vulnerable to being crushed by another launcher or not.

Juggles use to be the final frontier in tekken; the extra bit that made the difference between being good, and being really good, for TTT2 even having a good punishing game say something like a 30 for 10frame, 40 for 11/12 frame and 50 for 13 (I would class that as good punishing), will pale into insignificance if your looking at 80/110 damage for crushing, counter hit launching, or launch punishing. why block and punish a low or parry it when you could've crushed it with a hop kick for appropriately 2.5 times more damage?

I cannot understand why they don't set up a system for teching out of binding and wall splatting: the attacking player gets a free ride on the max damage train and here I am looking at creative follow ups after landing a 1+2 throw, to which 5 minute later I think, "what a ****ing waste of time, there an opportunity to tech which will leave me vulnerable to launch".

grab combos have escapes, chain attacks have escapes, throws have escapes, ground hitting has escapes. but juggling with a bind and a wall splat, your just sitting there.

In fact if tekken is going to go the way of huge combos that have no means of escape then they should also do the following:

Make all chain grabs (king, nina, etc) inescapable combos and wither or not you get hit by the entire thing depends on wither the attacking player remembers and inputs the combo correctly or not, just like juggle combos. The initial grapple for these combos are far more cumbersome then many launchers (compare any of the start up moves for kings grabs to his uf4 then compare the damage)

Make all low attacks in 10 hit combos unparryable make the entire combo jail on block, and make it a natural combo all the way through from the 2nd or 3rd hit just like juggle combos. for most characters the first hit or two of a 10 hit combo are slow, cumbersome attacks with **** range, **** tracking and poor crushing properties unlike some of their launchers.

then carry on to double the damage of ground hitting moves and lengthen the time to have to guarantee they connect after spiking, if your spiked instead of bound.
    then make all mid high combos jail on block, make all unblockable attacks track both ways, and take at least 100 to 160 health. etc etc etc. and then throw away the build becasue you've completely ruined the game

(woah long rant)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

you can't make tekken good by giving everyone 13 frame launchers

This I agree with, the more balanced the game becomes the more boring it will be.

hours or practice results in knowing a series of "phone numbers" that give 100 damage that is unavoidable upon inception.

In fairness people always have to vary combos on wall stages, and people screw up the execution of combos all the time. However on non wall stages this is almost true.

the usefulness of a move now is solely dependant on wither it's a launcher, a counter hit launcher or not, and wither it is or is not punishable by a launcher or vulnerable to being crushed by another launcher or not.

It is true that a safe counter hitting mid launcher (eg Lili df+3) is a lot better than a poke, but Tekken is all about controlling frames to set up a launch which you mostly get with pokes. However I do agree that it's always worth throwing out a hopkick randomly, which is kinda sad, and the tag regen system for health almost makes them safe.

Why block and punish a low or parry it when you could've crushed it with a hop kick for appropriately 2.5 times more damage?

Because you might have read the low wrong, your opponent may block the hopkick, and you will be punished.

grab combos have escapes, chain attacks have escapes, throws have escapes, ground hitting has escapes. but juggling with a bind and a wall splat, your just sitting there.

Make all chain grabs (king, nina, etc) inescapable combos and wither or not you get hit by the entire thing depends on wither the attacking player remembers and inputs the combo correctly or not, just like juggle combos. The initial grapple for these combos are far more cumbersome then many launchers (compare any of the start up moves for kings grabs to his uf4 then compare the damage)

Make all low attacks in 10 hit combos unparryable make the entire combo jail on block, and make it a natural combo all the way through from the 2nd or 3rd hit just like juggle combos. for most characters the first hit or two of a 10 hit combo are slow, cumbersome attacks with **** range, **** tracking and poor crushing properties unlike some of their launchers.

In fairness 10 hits and grabs exist to punish people not very knowledgeable at the game, or unable to throwbreak, it's just supposed to

(a) Make a steeper learning curve in the game.
    (b) Make it more fun at an "intermediate level"

I still think it's going to be a great game! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

the usefulness of a move now is solely dependant on wither it's a launcher, a counter hit launcher or not, and wither it is or is not punishable by a launcher or vulnerable to being crushed by another launcher or not.

And?

I don't think there's anything wrong with juggles. The ****ing wall combos are ridiculous though esp in TTT2 by the looks of things. There's a lot more to tekken than launching/juggling. It's just how things are punished. Spacing, movement, zoning and knowing your characters frames were always very important in 3d games esp Tekken. I think there's nothing wrong with getting in a solid damage punish

My opinion anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Nickco

Yeah nice video, i played the demo its pretty awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭recnib

Teken was one of my all time favourite game series while i played ps2, Tag Tournament was one of the best IMO. Ill always remember it fondly :) Cant wait to play this game !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Surely I can't be the only one who noticed this? (about 2:18)

zIFRk.jpg

qPZ6i.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

Yreval wrote: »
    Surely I can't be the only one who noticed this? (about 2:18)

zIFRk.jpg

qPZ6i.jpg

He punched off her clothes...that is a good skill to have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

SirAuronDX wrote: »
    He punched off her clothes...that is a good skill to have

USE ALL OF THE SKILL POINTS :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Prototype Jack is back? I can have two Jacks on one team?

Game of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

That's got to be everybody accounted for besides Dr.B himself.

Nice to see Alex back, I've never really cared for joke characters but if you're going to be silly and have a couple bears and a kangaroo you might well go the whole hog and give the boxing dinosaur some love.

They need only like... 3 more to have everyone ever plus new characters....

Still awaiting Miharu.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2:54
    I don't think Tecmo are worried... yet.

Ah all I really want is a character customise option around as good as SCV. But Tekken seems more reluctant to let you mess around with their beloved characters

except for those really fake looking stupid haircuts.

• Advertisement

with all these characters it;s clear they're making the TTT a sort of "all stars" affair.

remember Tekken 4 came out with about 16 characters after TTT? I wonder how many character T7 will have.

When you guys up for more tekken casuals?

Well Aurongroove kinda lives in Mayo now I think, and Steven broke his wrist so he's out for a few weeks I reckon.

That lust leaves me and Bob, although I've been trying to rope in others online. It's hard though, mostly they're scared to come in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

mostly they're scared to come in.

This is fairly common and it's an awful pity because everyone who does come in really wants to see new people, there's nothing to be afraid of!

I guess the only thing you can do is try to assuage their fears!

Well Aurongroove kinda lives in Mayo now I think, and Steven broke his wrist so he's out for a few weeks I reckon.

That lust leaves me and Bob, although I've been trying to rope in others online. It's hard though, mostly they're scared to come in.

Wtf. Did you threaten them or something? :P

Who was the kazuya player? Would like to play him some more. If yous want to come in this wednesday we can have at least 5 ppl for tekken casuals :)

I too would like to see more people for Tekken!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I havent turned on the game since the last tournament that I went to about a year ago now. Could drop in if i knew there was a tekken related session though. I'd say i suck at this stage though

i sent one or two pm's to tekken zaibatsu members, there's no way I'll be able to organise them for tomorrow, but maybe soon.

batman_oh can you come wednesday's only? Or saturday's too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭batman_oh

i sent one or two pm's to tekken zaibatsu members, there's no way I'll be able to organise them for tomorrow, but maybe soon.

it depends on the week for me really. Saturday day time would probably suit better a lot of the time but i do get the odd free wednesday too. Need somebody to solder a button on my useless Hori stick and get practicing a bit :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭trecs

@BigStupidGuy - maybe you can organize some casuals this weekend or the next?

:D

Advertisement