Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Just put it on PSN FFS, release physical when able

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just put it on PSN FFS, release physical when able

There are people with slow internet connections.

There are people who've pre-ordered physical editions.

There are people who mightn't be able to afford a full price download but can save a few quid on physical copies.

The internet if they released it like that would be a ****show of spoilers, trolling and general shenanigans.

They've made the right call. Everyone can wait together for a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Still plenty of people that go physical only, if they're waiting what could be a month or more they might just wait another few for a sale.

Any additional digital sales and inherently higher margins might not make up for the loss sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd be all for relaeasing on digital early only people are asshats and the internet is their kung fu

The delay is nothing to do with internet spoilers or some kumbaya bull**** of everyone waiting together. They would love to release it digitally in May but contractually they can't.

It's delayed because Sony value their relationship with physical retailers. The big physical retailers will already have huge pre-orders for the title and probably there are contractual stipulations that it cannot be released on digital first etc.

Also Sony are very reliant on brick & mortar shops to sell consoles. With a new system on the horizon they are being careful not to upset the large chain stores. A boycott (or small instore presence) of one or other system by a giant like Walmart would have a major impact on a system.

I don't see it being released until physical stores are open again. **** knows when that will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yep. Give it time. Be the Naughtydog studio we trust and not Ubisoft: Give it time to REALLY beta-test it/iron out those last bugs. Give your staff time to breathe and reduce that final crunch. And, it must be said, maybe don't release a bleak post-pandemic game in the middle of a global pandemic. Everybody has more important things to worry about. (That's not a dig).

Don't get me wrong: I'm gutted. FF7 and TLOU2 were going to be my last PS4 purchases. TLOU is one of my favourite games but they have made the right decision.

This will probably at least delay the HBO series as well. I'm sure you'll have all the handwringers in the US wailing about poor taste, yadda yadda yadda. (The same people who kicked up such a fuss over the Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers title.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No question there are solely economic and practical concerns around the delay - that is Sony’s motivation 100%. Can’t deny that for a second.

Releasing it only digitally would have created annoying issues for many players as well (~100gb downloads still are a bloody nuisance on PS4 even with a good broadband connection), though, so it’s for the best that everyone has to hold out, even if that isn’t Sony’s motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Wonder will they make this a PS5 launch title now altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'd imagine the next gen consoles will also be delayed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

First Cyberpunk and now this :(:(:(

Am I correct in thinking this was due out in February originally as well?

So in an alternative reality I would both of these games finished by now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

uwvmq55qsxk41.jpg

Think these would be great shouts!

I don't think this game was ever intended for release on PS4.

It has been pushed back twice or three times already and I'd say they always intended to delay the game beyond its May 29th release anyway.

Sony want this as a PS5 launch title.

I don't think this game was ever intended for release on PS4.

It has been pushed back twice or three times already and I'd say they always intended to delay the game beyond its May 29th release anyway.

Sony want this as a PS5 launch title.
    A game like this costs so much money to make, they couldn't afford to skip the PS4 with it's 90m install base.

Launch games don't make a lot of money. In the first 6 months of a new console there are usually less than 10 million hardware owners, it limits your potential sales.

It's why we never really see any "killer" system-exclusive launch titles any more. It's mostly cross-gen stuff for the first year (or two!) of a console, or cheap-to-make titles. It's totally different from the old days when games were quick/cheap to make and killer launch titles were viable & common.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,468 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

And even though the ps4 version should work on ps5, i can see a separate ps5 version with extra bells and whistles.

A game like this costs so much money to make, they couldn't afford to skip the PS4 with it's 90m install base.

Launch games don't make a lot of money. In the first 6 months of a new console there are usually less than 10 million hardware owners, it limits your potential sales.

It's why we never really see any "killer" system-exclusive launch titles any more. It's mostly cross-gen stuff for the first year (or two!) of a console, or cheap-to-make titles. It's totally different from the old days when games were quick/cheap to make and killer launch titles were viable & common.

Infamous 4 on PS4 was a pretty big launch title

• Registered Users Posts: 33,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wasn't a launch title. Came out in March, 4 months after PS4 launch.

PS4 had very few decent launch title exclusives. I spent most of the time on PS4 playing AC: Black Flag & Madden until proper games started to come out post-Xmas.

TLOU2 was definitely never planned to just be for PS5. Like the first game, in many ways it's acting as the console's swansong. They'll definitely release it on PS4 and that was always the plan. They wouldn't have said otherwise, put out release dates and then fake delays.

It'll be playable on PS5, both through backwards compatibility and maybe an enhanced GOTY edition after a year or so. But it's coming to PS4 regardless.

There will be exceptions of course. But if you look at PS4 games released in 2013/2014, most of them are cross-gen titles or (reasonably) short-development titles. The really good stuff came later.

I expect PS5 launch line-up to be similar, a lot of cross-gen stuff and remasters.
    Zero-Cool wrote:
    And even though the ps4 version should work on ps5, i can see a separate ps5 version with extra bells and whistles.
    Yeah, it will be interesting to see how they handle cross-gen titles ... do they offer a free enhancement patch, do they sell a dedicated PS5 version which is better than the enchanced PS4 version etc.

These kind of details I think we'd all like more info on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Its strange that he says no decision has been made yet on a digital release. The lack of a release date means I think they might put it out to retail on relatively short notice when the opportunity comes. I don't think many retail games will release on time for the forseeable future mind you.
    I guess they know a 100+GB download from a digital only release with the current PSN speeds will lead to issues with the network in a time where its already under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

ERG89 wrote: »
    Its strange that he says no decision has been made yet on a digital release. The lack of a release date means I think they might put it out to retail on relatively short notice when the opportunity comes. I don't think many retail games will release on time for the forseeable future mind you.
    I guess they know a 100+GB download from a digital only release with the current PSN speeds will lead to issues with the network in a time where its already under pressure.

Relatively short notice surely means a month wouldn't it? The worst with this and no release date will be the rumours from sources in production or shipping, it'll be non stop for a while with lots of cockteasing from the various usual places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Completely sensible post

I was leaning towards the 'just release it digitally' route, but now I'm firmly in the altogether release route!

Apparently some very spoilery stuff was leaked. Careful what you're clicking into.

https://twitter.com/SavedYouAClickV/status/1254575243915489282?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

• Registered Users Posts: 33,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That sucks. A dispute with ND is no reason to leak spoilers, because the ones that'll most affected will be the people looking forward to the game who see spoilers accidentally (Youtube thumbnails or twitter clickbait tweets etc). Everyone who would have been buying the game are still going to buy it regardless of the leaks.

I think a lot of the time people can be a bit too precious about spoilers anyway, as knowing what happens comes secondary to seeing how it happens, in terms of performance, writing, being engrossed in what you're seeing/playing etc. But it's still always nice to not know and experience it as blind as possible.

Really hope people show some restraint with spreading the leaks. If people want to check them out, that's their perogative. But not everyone does.

I checked reddit as usually the big games are heavily modded. Jesus what a ****. The titles are either spoilers or ND hate. I'm just going to think of it as trolls and not believe anything i saw. For this to come out and the game but even have a release date sucks.

Leaking a bunch of stuff over a payment dispute is a great way to get sued and never work anywhere again. Juvenile stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If anyone has ever looked at Last of Us or Naughty Dog stuff on Youtube, probably best to go into your history and delete any videos from them in case the algorithm pushes a popular video from the spoilers to your homepage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently it's over unpayed over time during crunch. and if that's the case then Naughty Dog only have themselves to blame. Might make them treat staff a little better in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I agree their work practices need improving but it's not a proportional response from the employee. Spoilers don't bother me too much tbh but I get annoyed in work regularly. I don't go berzerk and throw my pc through a window, well only in my head.

There's a big case in my exiting world of insurance in relation to Morrisons. Disgruntled employee posts confidential information of thousands of employees online. Employees sue Morrisons but lose in the Supreme Court. Employee got 9 years or something. That's them consequences thing you hear about when you do something stupid

• Advertisement
Advertisement