Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is RTE Gold about to go FM?

• 20-03-2020 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭

This is an interesting tweet from Rick O'Shea

https://twitter.com/rickoshea/status/1240980798737649664?s=20

Seriously, thank you SO much to everyone listening to
    @RTEGold
    and telling us how much you need it as a place of even temporary refuge from constant #COVID19 news.

We're here for you. We will be here for you. There may even be a bit more coming.

Details when I have them.

XXX

I have to say, I've definitely found myself asking Alexa to play RTE Gold a good bit as I've been working from home, just to get away from the constant commentary on the virus.

The Countdown of the 100 Best Irish Songs was enjoyable on Patrick's Day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This is an interesting tweet from Rick O'Shea

https://twitter.com/rickoshea/status/1240980798737649664?s=20

I have to say, I've definitely found myself asking Alexa to play RTE Gold a good bit as I've been working from home, just to get away from the constant commentary on the virus.

The Countdown of the 100 Best Irish Songs was enjoyable on Patrick's Day.

RTÉ gold is easily RTEs best output.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The bit more coming is a reference to RTE Gold not closing on Easter Monday but staying on air due to the ongoing situation imho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

one of the best stations to come out of the RTE radio centre. here is hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

Fantastic Station wonder if they are going to be broadcasting a bit longer than expected, does anyone know when all the staff where to be finished broadcasting on the station. ! Be a massive loss when it is wound down !

by the way how is it RTE Gold was the only RTE digital station to reduce their presenter output (weekends). 2XM and Pulse seem to not have cut any presenter slots...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭JDxtra

by the way how is it RTE Gold was the only RTE digital station to reduce their presenter output (weekends). 2XM and Pulse seem to not have cut any presenter slots...
    They probably work for free.

JDxtra wrote: »
    They probably work for free.

RTE Gold weekend presenters were nearly doing it for free

RTE Gold won't go on FM. Especially in the current climate when other stations are struggling. Probably going to continue online only.

RTE Gold won't go on FM. Especially in the current climate when other stations are struggling. Probably going to continue online only.

Saorview also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

What is it with RTE announcing that they are going to withdraw a service only to backtrack ? We've had closing Lw 252, selling the RTE guide, closing lyrics limerick studios, closing Aertel. It's an absolutely terrible way to run an organization, you wouldn't see such carry on in the private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Long_Wave wrote: »
    What is it with RTE announcing that they are going to withdraw a service only to backtrack ? We've had closing Lw 252, selling the RTE guide, closing lyrics limerick studios, closing Aertel. It's an absolutely terrible way to run an organization, you wouldn't see such carry on in the private sector.

It's simply kite flying.

The private sector doesn't work the same way organisations such as RTE do. If RTE announce something and there's sufficient political backlash then they find a few quid down the back of the sofa to do a U turn.

Gold will be live from tomorrow..Will, Rick, but with additional shows Keith walsh, Michael Cahill.

Would have picked someone else (there are plenty to chose from in RTE) over K walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't care who's on air there. The station just isn't the same without live presenters. Might as well be playing Spotify otherwise. It's nice to have Gold as something to listen to at the moment. It's a welcome respite from the depressing wall-to-wall Covid-19 coverage on Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

4 Live shows each weekday now

https://twitter.com/rickoshea/status/1242022665562533888?s=20

https://twitter.com/rickoshea/status/1242022669786193920?s=20
    So from today, and every weekday for the foreseeable future,
    @RTEGold
    is moving from 2 to 4 live shows every weekday.

7am -
    @willleahy

10am -
    @rickoshea

1pm -
    @KeithWalsh2fm

4pm -
    @michaelc_radio

We'll try to be your oasis of calm and music.

Why do they say it's for the 'foreseeable future' when Gold and all the other stations are scheduled to close in April?

As long as the current format of RTE GOLD is not ruined by playing the usual worn out Greatest Hits of 60s/70s/80s/90s

Why do they say it's for the 'foreseeable future' when Gold and all the other stations are scheduled to close in April?

Hopefully forever..not just Corona Virus times

They have been given a reprieve!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    They have been given a reprieve!

Is that confirmed? I haven't seen any official statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Howard100

I heard BIGGY SMALLS played this afternoon.
    The fact that this is now 'Gold' makes a lad few very old.

• Advertisement

Howard100 wrote: »
    I heard BIGGY SMALLS played this afternoon.
    The fact that this is now 'Gold' makes a lad few very old.

Will already plays some chart and recent hits on his breakfast show

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

salmocab wrote: »
    RTÉ gold is easily RTEs best output.

I used to think that. I find it's gone drastically downhill of late.

Is Aidan Leonard still out on leave? Will mentioned that he would be part of the st patricks day top 100...was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Is it just me or is the stream absolutely crap? Keeps breaking up!

And jumping about - currently flipping between Prodigy and Joy Division.

Shakyfan wrote: »

Seems OK there, not peaking in terms of people listening online (about 1,300). Radio 1 has 17,000 (also not peaking). Busy, but they've had more.

Maybe your local internet connection or wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Shakyfan wrote: »

i have just had a check and it's working fine for me.
    that's not to say it wasn't having issues earlier i don't know.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Might have been my connection! Trying it through the Radio Player app and it seems OK there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭RINO87

Seems OK there, not peaking in terms of people listening online (about 1,300). Radio 1 has 17,000 (also not peaking). Busy, but they've had more.

Maybe your local internet connection or wifi?

How do you see these numbers, out of interest, or are you an admin... I've always wondered do these numbers take into account streams provided by a third party. I mostly listen on liveradio.ie because it works great on my android box.

Back on topic just heard an ad on Radio 1 saying Gold and Radio 1 will be simulcast on Sat/Sun afternoons in place of the sport, which is good, something about that Saturday Sounds chap just grinds my gears

I'm not an admin, just curious. :)

You can pull listener stats from some (not all) streaming servers directly. RTE have two streaming servers with stations on both. LiveRadio, TuneIn etc. don't have their own streams or relays - they are just a directory service, and listener traffic just gets directed back to the broadcasters server.

• Advertisement

RTE Gold on RTE Radio 1 right now. Playing Snap and Rhythm Is A Dancer. Strange times when R1 are playing this! :)

Advertisement