Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Return of the XFL

Comments

Ugh...this again? Didn't they try it again last year?

No. XFL was always planned for 2020.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ugh...this again? Didn't they try it again last year?

You're thinking of the American Alliance of Football. Dreadful league which didn't have enough funds to keep going.

Vince McMahon will be able to see the season out with the XFL at least. But it won't last longer than one season.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ipitydafool

Yeah AAF was a mess and XFL does have alot more going for it- better TV deal- afaik all league games will be broadcast on likes of FOX and ESPN. Also now sports betting in US becoming a more larger market with regulation at state level and this starting after Superbowl and quieter season- only NBA and NHL running it has a chance to garner some traction and catch on but still a long shot to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

No. XFL was always planned for 2020.

I was being sarcastic. This is ****e and nobody is going to care.

Edit: rereading this it sounded a lot more prickish and standoffish than it was meant to. I just remember last year thinking that the Alliance league wasn't just crap, it was another attempt, in a long line of them, including the XFL before, that failed catastrophically.

It just seems to me that people are convinced that because of the spectacular popularity of the NFL that there simply MUST be a market for a lower league. And so each time someone tries it, they convince themselves that they just need to tweak some elements of the idea in order to make it pay off. But to me the repeated failures tell us that the basic premise is what's wrong: there isn't a market for it, nobody is interested in watching guys they know are castoffs and nearly-men, except maybe NFL scouts looking for the offchance that they might find a diamond in the rough. It might work as an NFL farm league if they were able to run it on a lower level, with lower profile and attendant costs, like baseball minor leagues, but that is by definition something that is only watched locally. So yeah, I think this will flop, better TV deal or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I’ll probably give it a watch if it can be streamed over here. Don’t have Sky so hopefully Gamepass or an equivalent will broadcast the games.

• Advertisement

Some funny rules they're having. The 2 forward passes is interesting to say the least. And teams will have the chance to get 9 points off a TD...!!!!

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28438441/xfl-rule-changes-focus-faster-pace-more-excitement

EDIT - Just read the full details on the XFL site and while some of them feels a bit gimmicky, they might be fun to watch, albeit in a 'I'm not taking this league seriously' kind of way.

I’ll probably give it a watch if it can be streamed over here. Don’t have Sky so hopefully Gamepass or an equivalent will broadcast the games.

All games to be shown on the ESPN Player.

https://www.xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/espn-air-xfl-internationally/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

DC United had an Open House Saturday and had the posts up for the XFL debut. Also have put in safe standing which is great to see and safer for the fans than the previous bleachers!

img-2515.jpg

img-2516.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

So have you all picked a team to follow/support?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I just hope they come up with good ideas that the nfl robs when it folds again, just like last time. Interviews on pitch, spider cam etc

• Advertisement

So have you all picked a team to follow/support?

Asa Redskins fan, I'm sticking with the DC team. Having said that, at the moment I couldn't name one player on the team or who their coach is (or what their logo/colour are) but once we get the Superbowl out of the way, I'll start looking into it.

I'm actually looking forward to it to be honest. Football with a different slant. Will be interesting anyway, even if the standard is poor. Plenty of afternoon games as well so reasonable times for us to watch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I just hope they come up with good ideas that the nfl robs when it folds again, just like last time. Interviews on pitch, spider cam etc

Yeah that’s the best outcome. It’d be great if it could succeed for Longer than 1 season. Competition can only help push the NFL. They’ve been very stagnant for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

BT Sport are showing two live games on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

lertsnim wrote: »
    BT Sport are showing two live games on Saturday.

Im being lazy, what times are they on?

Guffy wrote: »
    Im being lazy, what times are they on?

7pm and 11pm our time I think

7pm and 11pm our time I think

Damn they’re appealing times. I might have to tune in.

Anyone watching?

Interesting enough. Week 1 and I don't think there were any pre-season games so not going to criticise the standard on offer so far. Kick Offs look good but the point-after tries after TDs have been pretty poor so far. The in-game interviews are interesting. Just had out first F-bomb.

Looks like a decent enough crowd too. Places hold 20,000 so my guess would be around 12-13k.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's actually fun. The kickoffs are so much better than the NFL. Hopefully that is something they adopt at some point but Goodell might not want to admit they thought of something better than his league :D

Coaches mic'd up is also really nice. We can hear immediately if they are planning to go for it on 4th/kick fg/punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just found a feed on YouTube. Looks like they for a good crowd in for it

neris wrote: »
    Just found a feed on YouTube. Looks like they for a good crowd in for it

Probably more DC fans here than there has been fro Redskins home games the past few seasons.

• Advertisement

Apparently Tampa Bay are one of the favourites, so I guess I should support them so Marc Trestman can disappoint me one more time for old times sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Quality is questionable but in fairness it is the first game. I love the kick off rules. The pace has been very good too I think this has a decent chance of succeeding this time around

Probably more DC fans here than there has been fro Redskins home games the past few seasons.

Official attendance has been announced as 17,163. Not bad.

I had to laugh at the DC coach there. He was doing what every play caller does in the NFL, covering his mouth with the play sheet so the opposing team can't read his lips as he calls in the plays but the calls are being broadcast and everyone can hear everything.

Watching on TSN Canada and they are advertising AEW on their ticker at the bottom while showing the XFL. Vince won't be happy :pac:

That review was poorly handled by the guy upstairs. 1st down should have stood I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Oat23 wrote: »
    That review was poorly handled by the guy upstairs. 1st down should have stood I think.

Yep there was no way from the angle if the replay his knee was down

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Think these seattle lads couldn't catch a cold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Nermal

but the calls are being broadcast and everyone can hear everything.

How come this doesn’t cause problems - what’s stopping them being relayed to the other team? Or are they just indecipherable if you don’t know them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Oat23 wrote: »
    Apparently Tampa Bay are one of the favourites, so I guess I should support them so Marc Trestman can disappoint me one more time for old times sake.

I'd heard he was going to be coaching them. To be fair he never struck me as a bad person, just a truly horrible coach with bad leadership instincts. Would wish him well though.

Just not in Chicago. Ever again.

Advertisement