Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Return of the XFL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Make it happen. Make it happen.

I haven't watching and WWE since about 2001, but just make this one damn thing happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Mad thing is it could probably work this time around a lot has changed since the last time. Be interesting to see when their season starts and ends though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

He's live on fb atm doing media questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Mad thing is it could probably work this time around a lot has changed since the last time. Be interesting to see when their season starts and ends though.

Begins in late January/early Feb 2020, runs for 10 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Re:xfl return..... If they can sort out the catch rule, simplify it, it could lead to an explosion of passing and offense. Maybe do something innovative with the kicking/punting game, you may see quite an entertaining product.

My own blue sky thinking, the option to kick from the 13 for the pat or a two point conversion attempt from the 10. Bonus.... If you make the 2 there is no kickoff and opponant must start from their 10 yard line on ensuing drive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

Apologies for the new thread! I’ve since seen it’s being discussed in the Wacky World thread! Delete.

Id say leave this thread here. Could be worth its own discussion. Something else to distract us in the off season

Surely Oakland, St. Louis & San Diego are high up on the list for being awarded teams!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

For 17 years Vince's ego hasn't got over his biggest failure and his head is that big he thinks he can re-create it all again

It will fail miserably again. Vince is only successful at bullying and wiping out any trace of competition which won't obviously happen in American Football

• Advertisement

Ohmeha wrote: »
    For 17 years Vince's ego hasn't got over his biggest failure and his head is that big he thinks he can re-create it all again

It will fail miserably again. Vince is only successful at bullying and wiping out any trace of competition which won't obviously happen in American Football

Tell us how you really feel about Vince :pac:

If he tries the same crap he did the first time he will fail. Making enemies of the NFL and trying to compete with the NFL and marketing is as a joke caused his failures the last time.

If he does it right it could be a good thing for players to showcase their talents especially if the money is right. Plenty of players on the fringe of the pros who would love a platform to show what they have. It just needs to be the real deal and not some WWE joke of a league.

The UFL was on the right track but they didnt have money and tried to take on College football and the NFL by playing in the Fall.

Find the right market and do it right and he could succeed the second time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm very surprised the WWE share price has remained more or less intact at this news. For those who don't know, Vince is a complete micro-managing freak who oversees every aspect of WWE. But the shareholders nonetheless put their faith in him - they faked his death some years ago (on screen, as part of a storyline) and the share price fell; he threatened to sell the company some years ago (again, part of a storyline, I think) and the price again fell. The original term of the XFL not only lost a tonne of money from WWE coffers, it also split Vince's time with WWE in half, and completely burned him out. He's already a 72-year-old workaholic who is pumped up to the gills with lord-knows-what PEDs, and he takes on a proven failure of an enterprise on top of his existing insane schedule? Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ohmeha wrote: »

I think streaming could be key to it this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Registered Users Posts: 37,482 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it'll fail and I'm not a fan of Vince McMahon so I don't really care about it.

After watching the press conference as soon as he said he wants fan input I thought to myself typical WWE going to fail miserably again

One thing also is half the sh1t they used to allow in the XFL will be frowned upon and with the whole CTE thing any player with sense wont join it unless they are just in it for the money and care less about their safety. Some of the hits in the XFL were brutal back then nevermind comparing them to todays standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There's a market for "real football" in the states.
    I was watching a youtube video about the greatest superbowl QBS and the throw and pass they used for at least 1 qb would not have been a catch today. There's too much DPI called today, too much holding, and too much personal foul calls.

If they strip it back to real unadulterated football there will be a market for it. I only started really watching in the late 90's/early 00's and the game has changed so much since then, I can only imagine what someone watching from the 70s-80s would think.

ELM327 wrote: »
    There's a market for "real football" in the states.
    I was watching a youtube video about the greatest superbowl QBS and the throw and pass they used for at least 1 qb would not have been a catch today. There's too much DPI called today, too much holding, and too much personal foul calls.

The problem with the NFL is not the rules themselves but the inconsistency of them. Well except for a few of the rules. But Personal Foul rules are there for many reason the main one being Player Safety and I believe the refs are not strict enough on some of them.
    If they strip it back to real unadulterated football there will be a market for it. I only started really watching in the late 90's/early 00's and the game has changed so much since then, I can only imagine what someone watching from the 70s-80s would think.

That will never happen. As fun as the big hits were to watch the game has changed for a reason. Players are bigger and faster than they have ever been and that speed and power turns these guys into missiles when tackling and I can tell you if they ever stripped the rules back to the way it was we wont have to wait for CTE to kill players there will eventually be serious injuries on the field if not death especially if you allow head to head contact or strip it back to where spearing was allowed. You have to draw the line and sometimes that means changing how the game is played.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Some XFL news
    Hockeyinformer.com

On Tuesday, the XFL announced who will be their Commissioner and CEO.

The official XFL account posted the following tweet today, naming Oliver Luck the official Commissioner and CEO of the XFL.

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1003994263388975105

• Advertisement

I'd watch the CFL before I'd watch that. I hope it fails miserably.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

eagle eye wrote: »

I’ll be watching the CFL this year to see if Johnny Manziel does anything there. And to bridge the gap to the regular season.

I hope BT sports will continue to air the CFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Guffy

Why?

Guffy wrote:
    Why?

Because this is about making money, no love for football from the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

Guffy wrote:
    Why?

You mean like every professional football league

You really should have said because it will probably be **** like it was before. :pac:

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    You really should have said because it will probably be **** like it was before. :pac:

The thing is after week 1 the original XFL had some decent football games, the problem was the production and everything inbetween the plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I just don’t see the XLF being anything more than a low viewership curiosity.  I watched the XLF fail the first time.  Arena football is inconsequential.  NFL Europe was a bust.  Canadian football gets little traction in the US.  Even the Legends Football League, with their beautiful women, skimpy uniforms and hard hits, is pretty much is unheard of.  The NFL and NCAAF is where it’s at in our hearts and minds and will remain dominant in the US... casting out all upstarts or relegating them to obscurity.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

img-2185.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ugh...this again? Didn't they try it again last year?

Advertisement