Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

School books you remember

• 20-08-2013 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Molly007

Just wondering if any of ye have nostalgic memories of your schoolbooks? Apologies if there has been a thread on this topic already but I've been thinking a lot lately about the poems we had for Inter cert in 1966. Unfortunately- in a moment of stupidity/ insanity- myself and pals burned our text books when the exams were over. My mother was horrified - she said I would regret it one day and how right she was:(. What wouldn't I give now to hold that little book again - it was published by Fallons and contained only the poetry on the course for that year, - unlike later years when the poems were in a much bigger book, out of which you picked out and studied the ones on the course. Likewise with the prose book that year, - I remember there was an essay about the Pass of Thermopylae among others. My books had so many little notes and dates and fellas' names with hearts drawn around them - all gone up in flames.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

It was a stroke of genius to re release the Exploring English series. I realise this is after your time OP.

I would love to have the old geography book from primary school, with the principal towns of Ireland and their industries.
    I remember that the Westmeath entry had "distilling" down as an industry for Kilbeggan, although by that time (the late sixties) the distillery was long gone.

My primary English book had an article about the overhead railway in Wuppertal, I was interested to see it's still in existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Hmm my post vanished???

Anyway I was saying I remembered a book I borrowed from the school library about 1960 called Kemlo and the Space Lanes Not seen it since, a sci fi novel and the first I ever read.

I still have a book called Kemlo and the Gravity Rays (about the same age)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Rubecula wrote: »
    Hmm my post vanished???
    Nothing in the Moderation log about it so it's not my fault.
    Yay! :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Rubecula wrote: »
    Hmm my post vanished???
    :)Vanished in the mists of time Rubecula!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

OldGoat wrote: »
    Nothing in the Moderation log about it so it's not my fault.
    Yay! :cool:

You snaffled it didn't you. come on admit it you are using my posts to line the bottom of the Goat cage.

(Welcome home OG hope you had a great time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,809 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I recall more about a certain incident surrounding the first book I read at secondary school than the actual book itself. The book was a collection of short stories as part of the English literature class and the teacher would walk up and down the classroom reading aloud a story from the book.

Now the idea was that we were all to read silently along with him and when he finished it would be a quick round of Q & A's to make sure everyone was paying attention. Like any class of 13 year olds (or any age group for that matter) there was quite a variety of characters and we had one real dopey lad who just seemed to understand nothing and spent most of his time daydreaming. In contrast we had the class joker who was a laugh a minute.

This particular day the teacher was reading a story about a young lad going fishing at the river and how he got his rod, hooks, dug worms and put them in a tin, put on his wellies and got his rod etc etc etc and ended with him catching a trout. When the teacher finished reading he shouted "what did the young lad use as bait to catch the trout" and looking around the class he shouted "Mr Dopey" (Im just referring to him as that so as not to post his real name)

Mr Dopey upon hearing his name being called out managed to awake from his daydream but hadnt a clue as to what question was asked. Unfortunately he was sitting at a desk directly in front of the class joker who stretched out a leg under the desk, kicked him in the ankles, leaned forward and whispered to him..."a cow, that's the answer, a cow"

So Mr Dopey puts his hand in the air and says "please sir, it was a cow"

Needless to say the place erupted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭jos28

This is one I remember and still use today(great classic recipes). For those who remember Dometic Science classes it includes chapters on repairing and altering clothing, how to clean absolutely everything in your home, first aid, personal hygiene and cooking for invalids. It was printed in 1964, long before political correctness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

"Latin for Today". Yes, I know, dead language, etc., but between those stern, matt black covers were all of the answers that our male teacher-in-a-long-black-maxi-dress could throw at us. Shortly after I discovered that he built every Latin class around Latin for Today, I became best in Latin class because I could find the answers before he became violent.

I still admire Latin for its "Lego-like" simplicity, all but lost by "modern" European languages. However, I've never figured out how those ingenious / barbaric Romans managed to calculate how many tiles they would need to cover a floor measuring, say, XXIV sandals by XIII sandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

I still have a book from my secondary school days, "Exploring English Prose". I re-discovered it last year and so decided to browse through it for a few minutes. An hour and a half later (!) and so many memories...
    We had a teacher, Mr. Henfy, for whom we had more respect than any of the other teachers. I remember he used to say to us, "I'll Frazierise ya" if we didn't do our homework or whatever (this was around the time of the Frazier/Ali fight).
    Anyway, getting back to the book, one of my favourite pieces was "Down With Pigeons" by Robert Benchley, very amusing. Another was "The Gettysburg Address" by some obscure person by the name of Abraham Lincoln.
    Then there was "A Dissertation on Roast Pig" by Charles Lamb, and Stephen Leacock's talking about "a certain piece of work" by those industrious blokes, A, B, and C.
    Anyone else remember this book?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

The only book that springs to mind was "New Vista in English" which was used in my first year after doing the primary
    It seemed that the stories in it were so much more grown up at the time a vast change from the simpler stuff that we used to before then and when MISS read them it seemed sooooo much better as she strolled up and down between the lines of us youngfellas who were just beginning to appreciate the female form

• Advertisement

BrensBenz wrote: »
    "Latin for Today".
    Oh god. Latin For Today.

This classic
    What is this that roareth thus?
    Can it be a Motor Bus?
    Yes, the smell and hideous hum
    Indicat Motorem Bum!
    Implet in the Corn and High
    Terror me Motoris Bi:
    Bo Motori clamitabo
    Ne Motore caedar a Bo---
    Dative be or Ablative
    So thou only let us live:---
    Whither shall thy victims flee?
    Spare us, spare us, Motor Be!
    Thus I sang; and still anigh
    Came in hordes Motores Bi,
    Et complebat omne forum
    Copia Motorum Borum.
    How shall wretches live like us
    Cincti Bis Motoribus?
    Domine, defende nos
    Contra hos Motores Bos!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

CUCINA wrote: »
    I still have a book from my secondary school days, "Exploring English Prose". I re-discovered it last year and so decided to browse through it for a few minutes. An hour and a half later (!) and so many memories...
    We had a teacher, Mr. Henfy, for whom we had more respect than any of the other teachers. I remember he used to say to us, "I'll Frazierise ya" if we didn't do our homework or whatever (this was around the time of the Frazier/Ali fight).
    Anyway, getting back to the book, one of my favourite pieces was "Down With Pigeons" by Robert Benchley, very amusing. Another was "The Gettysburg Address" by some obscure person by the name of Abraham Lincoln.
    Then there was "A Dissertation on Roast Pig" by Charles Lamb, and Stephen Leacock's talking about "a certain piece of work" by those industrious blokes, A, B, and C.
    Anyone else remember this book?

I remember those books well, they were and still are a great read. Exploring English 1, 2 and 3......Poetry, Short Stories and Prose. (possibly not in that order)

My mother threw them out when I finished school but I found them in a car boot sale (25 odd years later!). It was lovely to see one of them reprinted.

I still remember the "Dissertation" by Lamb........and The Lady of Shallot....

I loved my English teacher, God Rest her......She read them as they were meant to be read - with wonderful aplomb and character.......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Molly007

Yea I remember the "dissertation" too- I think that was on the course for several years. It was a classic! And a poem which started "A naked house, a naked moor, A shivering pool before the door" and also "Morte d'Arthur". Lovely memories. But it was the books themselves with all the little diagrams and dates and initials and hearts that I wish I had now :)!

Molly007 wrote: »
    Yea I remember the "dissertation" too- I think that was on the course for several years. It was a classic! And a poem which started "A naked house, a naked moor, A shivering pool before the door" and also "Morte d'Arthur". Lovely memories. But it was the books themselves with all the little diagrams and dates and initials and hearts that I wish I had now :)!

The House Beautiful, by Robert Louis Stephenson.

Most people (well,me) seem to remember the next bit better:

Yet shall your ragged moors receive
    The incomparable pomp of eve

On the subject of schoolbooks there was a strange thing happened in our school on entering secondary.

Since French was a first year subject, we were told we had to buy a big red (expensive)hardback called "Ecouter et Parler". There was another French book to get as well.

Thing is,Ecouter et Parler was in French and Irish, the other book was French and English.

Significantly, the school had recently changed over from teaching through Irish to teaching in English.

We never,ever,used the Ecouter et Parler book.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Spurred on by this thread, I checked out a couple of names on wikipedia and discovered that "Down with Pigeons" author Robert Benchley went on to become the grandfather of Peter Benchley, author of "Jaws" whilst Robert and Stephen Leacock used to be in regular correspondence...just thought I'd throw in that bit of useless info...
    On the subject of poems, I'll always remember with fondness "Daffodils" by William Wordsworth (what an appropriate name!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

That book of english prose for the inter, one story about the man who invented a way of making diamonds and Robert L. Stevens on why humans don't value life

Only burnt one school book, it was therapeutic

And that book was..?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

Anyone else remember "Ann and Barry"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭jos28

dm1979 wrote: »
    Anyone else remember "Ann and Barry"

Ann likes jam
    Barry likes jam

I remember that from doing homework with my children - that shows my age

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Redhenrun

"Soundings" was my poetry book for LC English. A very long time ago. I can still recall snippets of it though Emily Dickinson`s "Because I could not stop for death/Death kindly stopped for me" Keats(?) "Xanadu" and TS Eliot`s "Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock" come to mind.

Like the Exploring English series, Soundings has been reprinted too. I can`t bring myself to buy it though, for fear I may not enjoy it now, as much as I did back then.

Dare I mention "Péig"? Or "Dialann Deoraí"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Redhenrun wrote: »
    "Soundings" was my poetry book for LC English. A very long time ago. I can still recall snippets of it though Emily Dickinson`s "Because I could not stop for death/Death kindly stopped for me" Keats(?) "Xanadu" and TS Eliot`s "Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock" come to mind.

Like the Exploring English series, Soundings has been reprinted too. I can`t bring myself to buy it though, for fear I may not enjoy it now, as much as I did back then.

Dare I mention "Péig"? Or "Dialann Deoraí"?

Peig had quite the bad memories for me... She came back to haunt me some years back when it was one of the chosen biography's for the LC.......It made me think about the attitude of how the teaching of the Irish language had changed from my day....The teacher laughed at my abhorrence of Peig "coming home" to me again during the PT meeting.......In time, I learnt more from my child laughs studying it than I did from the wrath of our old Irish teacher!!.......:rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

PEIG oh no I'm not going to get much sleep tonight. I am pschologically scarred by that blasted woman. Funnily enough I was at a party in a friends house on Saturday and somehow Peig came up in conversation. In a group of about 10 mature adults all of us shuddered at the thought of that book.

It is amazing how one book due probably to bad teaching of its contents has had such a negative effect on so many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

CUCINA wrote: »
    On the subject of poems, I'll always remember with fondness "Daffodils" by William Wordsworth (what an appropriate name!)

I had always believed that I had learned 'Daffodils' in school, but I was wrong. Wordsworth's poem a.k.a. 'I wandered lonely as a cloud' was different to the one I learned which was 'To Daffodils' by Robert Herrick. I have never been a lover of poetry, never saw any point to it myself. I always preferred a good story. Strangely enough, I memorised Herrick's 'To Daffodils' by rote over and over so many times that today I still know it off by heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

That's amazing Jellybaby I too memorized 'To Daffodils' and it is the only poem that I know by heart.

"Fair daffodils we weep to see you haste away so soon............"

Something about it struck a chord with me as well as poetry was never 'my thing'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

You too Layinghen? :) I learned it in primary school. I remember the teacher making us hesitate at the commas,..............for effect! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Molly007

That book of english prose for the inter, one story about the man who invented a way of making diamonds and Robert L. Stevens on why humans don't value life

That essay by Stevenson - was it "Aes Triplex"? - it's all coming back to me now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Picture attached of SOUNDINGS poetry book from 1969. It was on the Leaving Cert syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Redhenrun

That Soundings book looks like its in mint condition. Was it really on the curriculum since 1969? I recall it from the late `70s.

And is that actually a first edition of the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Hides behind a wall of dry stone buildings

I actually enjoyed Peig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Scrag

M'asal beag dubh by Paidin Mhearach and Sceal Sheanagh?

Advertisement