Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What DSL providers don't do daily restarts?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

n97 mini wrote: »
    If I didn't have the use of a stable eircom line I wouldn't have put up with Vodafone for as long as I have tbh.

Their tech support should be able to answer that question. I have always found them to be knowledgeable.

Magnet's tech support line isn't the best to be honest from my own experience.
    I don't need to contact them, My connection is fine and so are my IP addresses. If you need to know how often they renewals faster than my method. I'd advise you give them a call. or even better.. drop Magnet Rory a line here on boards, He's a pretty cool guy ;)

I'd also advise ringing VF tech line - there could be an underlying cause to your connection which is causing it to restart more than once a day.(if I read your post correctly)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

Slightly off topic, but I am paying €4 a month to VF on top of my BB package for a static IP address. With 3 young teenagers in the house I want some control over their WIFI internet usage from their phones (they wont/cant pay for mobile broadband/3G)

OpenDNS with webfiltering and a fixed IP address gives some peace of mind, but its far from perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Nemeses wrote: »
    I'd also advise ringing VF tech line -
    Did so twice. You know more about it than they do!
    home911 wrote:
    Slightly off topic, but I am paying €4 a month to VF on top of my BB package for a static IP address.
    Unfortunately that doesn't stop the daily restarts afaik.

Magnet's tech support line isn't the best to be honest from my own experience...
    I'd advise you give them a call.
    Huh?
    drop Magnet Rory a line here on boards, He's a pretty cool guy ;)
    I did. Magnet's not going to be a runner as they can't provide a voice service on my line. Paying them for BB and someone else line rental and voice is going to be prohibitively expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ok. I want to clarify that eircom can and do renew IP leases with no particularly annoying consequences for the router's connection. The IP address does change more often than not by looking at my eircom connection's logs.

Secondly, the problem with Vodafone is not so much that it has a 24-hour IP renewal lease. Even though that's what Vodafone themselves claim what the problem is. There are a number of threads about this on Broadband and Talk to Vodafone, and I've raised this issue with Vodafone but they haven't done anything about it.

Here's the good news: Some routers are unaffected by the 24 hour restarts or at least the ones I experimented with on an ex-BT connection. For example, the linksys WRT54G or its DSL equivalent. I used the ordinary WRT54G as a router and set up the BT voyager modem in bridge mode and this led to no drops of the connection over weeks even.

here's the not so good news: Another poster, I can't think of his name, a couple of years ago posted in a thread about this issue and discovered some discrepancies with BT's PPPoE setup which he thought was the cause of the automatic renewal failing. Something called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069. The TR-069 data that BT's RAS was sending to the router apparently had some incorrect values and this led to the PPPoE connection hanging when the lease expired.

I believe that the WRT54G and possibly the netopia 3347 and 2247 simply aren't TR-069 capable and the incorrect data becomes irrelevant. I haven't had a chance to test the netopia modems that used to be supplied by eircom and are ubiquitous in this country.

I have mentioned this to Vodafone before but the support guys over there keep claiming that it's just a result of a regular IP renewal when this is not the case

• Advertisement

The TR-069 data that BT's RAS was sending to the router apparently had some incorrect values
    I see references to TR069 in the source code for udhcp as used on my modem/router. Not sure if it's enabled but worth a closer look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Most DSL providers provide a IP for 24hrs or so. I have never come across an eircom BB connection that has had an IP address for more than a day or two the most.

When I was with Eircom, I could keep the same IP address for at at least 1 month. It only changed with a modem reset. This was regular.
    I must check if it's the same on this Vodafone connection.

Advertisement