Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar tubes Vs PV. ( Not again...)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

bunderoon wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I guess these would be the job:

I'm not disputting the protection mechanism, but i am curiosu the price difference between a standard system with heat dumping installed by plumber versus the system from above supplier designed an dlocked in the tubes by manufacturer... Can you share a quote or a price,please.

They are both made in PRC so, quality is the same... !?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭bunderoon

rolion wrote: »
    I'm not disputting the protection mechanism, but i am curiosu the price difference between a standard system with heat dumping installed by plumber versus the system from above supplier designed an dlocked in the tubes by manufacturer... Can you share a quote or a price,please.

They are both made in PRC so, quality is the same... !?

Hey rolion,

No recent quotes at present (last quote was from 2013). I am just getting the info needed to make a better decision when the time comes. I'll happily share quotes when I get them.

Basically - on the face of it, PV looks to be a non-runner for the next few years anyway - payback too long as my electric bill annually is about 1,100 a year.
    Solar tubes would definitely reduce my annual electric & kerosene bills.

Quick question actually to anyone who has solar tubes - when was the last time you needed to boost the cylinder with an immersion (oil was probably the booster I imagine anyway...) . I ask as I wonder what the hassle would be if ever replacing such an element. My element isn't the easiest to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭josip

6 months ago when the gas boiler went on the blink and what we thought was the first time since we moved in 8 years ago.
    However it seems like some visitors of ours had managed to trip the immersion while we were away.
    So when we went to use it, it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Truth be told, the plummber ****ed up and I didnt cop it until years later.
    He installed the cylinder on the left side of the hotpress but the way he positioned it to allow for the stove, oil and future solar; the side where the immersion goes in/out is facing the back wall at 1pm direction.
    He could have turned the whole cylinder clockwise another ~30 degrees and it would have been enough to get at it for replacement.

So if I was to get Solar, I would also have two other heat sources as backup (Stove coil and OFCH coil), if the immersion was to die. The hassle to drain the system and fix the messup/lengthen each pipe by a foot just wouldn't be worth it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@bunderoon

Please do share as i am curios about that protection.

I am using the standard €100 heat dumping but i had temperatures of over 170 degrees few times with free baths for hours...
    My solar controller is setup so that i have access to email alerts, that emails me when temperatures goes over certain thresholds so that i can tale action,much better than to trust a pipe or a valve.

Take care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

bunderoon wrote: »
    Is the heat dump a radiator?
    I already have a 'heat dump' in the form of a towel rad in the bathroom for when I have the stove on. I wonder if I could tap into that or if a separate dump is required.

sorry was away for few days, no my heat dump uses electrical relays to automatically open the two, 2 port valves, and turn on the Central heating pump (without firing the boiler). that draws the heat out of the cylinder and distributes it to all the rads in house

Advertisement