Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log Cabin

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

alie wrote: »
    So if no sevices then no planning, so i could build one and just have it as extra space per say

You can build a shed yes. If you live in it needs planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

All of these are illegal for habitation.
    I completely understand that it is illegal , but what I dont completely understand is why in some cases

Cabin out the back garden - completely get why thats illegal , extra pressure on services , overcrowding etc..

What i dont understand is why we cant have a development of high quality static homes on plots of land.

I know people are going to shriek ‘aghh trailer park’ but there are a lot of high quality developments and high quality residential standard static caravans available.

This idea that somebody isn’t allowed choose where to live based on what the government decides is best for us is madness.

https://www.willerby.com/park-homes/our-range/delamere This is approx 80k , if you could get a 4 acre plot of land and park 20 of those on it you could build nice low density low cost housing for people very easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

All of these are illegal for habitation.
    I completely understand that it is illegal , but what I dont completely understand is why in some cases

Cabin out the back garden - completely get why thats illegal , extra pressure on services , overcrowding etc..

What i dont understand is why we cant have a development of high quality static homes on plots of land.

I know people are going to shriek ‘aghh trailer park’ but there are a lot of high quality developments and high quality residential standard static caravans available.

This idea that somebody isn’t allowed choose where to live based on what the government decides is best for us is madness.

https://www.willerby.com/park-homes/our-range/delamere This is approx 80k , if you could get a 4 acre plot of land and park 20 of those on it you could build nice low density low cost housing for people very easily

Regulations man, regulations

We need the compliance, the certification, the permissions, the insulation, the planning, what about the septic tanks, the percolations, how are we gonna sort that.

Joking aside

I don't understand it either

Why does it cost €100,000 for a 40m2 extension here and quarter of a million for a small 110m2 bungalow?

Why the **** can I not build make an extension to the side of my house or infront of my house, why does it have to be lower than the height and directly behind, stupid stuff

Why do we have to comply and build concrete houses with that tick a box BER crap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thierry12 wrote: »

We need the compliance, the certification, the permissions, the insulation, the planning, what about the septic tanks, the percolations, how are we gonna sort that.

Joking aside

Why does it cost €100,000 for a 40m2 extension here and quarter of a million for a small 110m2 bungalow?

Why the **** can I not build make an extension to the side of my house or infront of my house, why does it have to be lower than the height and directly behind, stupid stuff

Why do we have to comply and build concrete houses with that tick a box BER crap.

You don’t have to.
    Just apply for planning and you can build higher, to the front, to the side, on top of etc etc

There has to be limits to the exemptions as people (as proved on these boards) will take the pi55.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Thierry12 wrote: »

Joking aside

The 250k bungalow cost probably includes land and new connections to services.

An extension plugs into existing services and normally will be using one side of the already built house.

I know someone who has a site in a Kildare Town and expects to build two detached houses of 160sqm for about €400-€450k max. He's reckoning under 400k, but is allowing 50k for unforseen issues. Obviously zero cost for the land and services are right at the front of the site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Darc19 wrote: »
    The 250k bungalow cost probably includes land and new connections to services.

An extension plugs into existing services and normally will be using one side of the already built house.

I know someone who has a site in a Kildare Town and expects to build two detached houses of 160sqm for about €400-€450k max. He's reckoning under 400k, but is allowing 50k for unforseen issues. Obviously zero cost for the land and services are right at the front of the site.

160sqm house for under 200k in Kildare

Who's his builder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

alie wrote: »
    So if no sevices then no planning, so i could build one and just have it as extra space per say

I posted this in another thread, but i think it sits in here nicely

A guy I work with put one of these (well something like it) up with the door facing his back patio doors about 6 feet away.

https://www.gardenrooms.ie/gallery/#

He then built a walkway, insulated and all joined from the house to the cabin.
    From the pictures he showed me its just like a short 6 foot wide hall from the living room into the garden room. Looks lovely. And he has a new patio door to the garden coming off this "hall".
    He did that because it cost him about €8K for tha garden room and €2K to get the "hall built", and he got no planning permission.

I have a fascination with these kind of building projects. I love hearing about them. Great threads on boards where guys have documented their entire build.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I posted this in another thread, but i think it sits in here nicely

A guy I work with put one of these (well something like it) up with the door facing his back patio doors about 6 feet away.

https://www.gardenrooms.ie/gallery/#

He then built a walkway, insulated and all joined from the house to the cabin.
    From the pictures he showed me its just like a short 6 foot wide hall from the living room into the garden room. Looks lovely. And he has a new patio door to the garden coming off this "hall".
    He did that because it cost him about €8K for tha garden room and €2K to get the "hall built", and he got no planning permission.

I have a fascination with these kind of building projects. I love hearing about them. Great threads on boards where guys have documented their entire build.

That’s all well and good but what he has is a shed extension (and a pretty nice shed at that).
    He will have to certify it as a shed when selling or remove it as the cabin itself won’t meet building regulations for an extension.

Technically he done nothing wrong once he didn’t effect the thermal envelope of the original house.

Same way you see all these make shift conservatives added to the back of houses that were popular so years ago.

They are a way to extend without having to meet the regs once you keep the patio doors in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Gumbo wrote: »
    That’s all well and good but what he has is a shed extension (and a pretty nice shed at that).
    He will have to certify it as a shed when selling or remove it as the cabin itself won’t meet building regulations for an extension.

Technically he done nothing wrong once he didn’t effect the thermal envelope of the original house.

Same way you see all these make shift conservatives added to the back of houses that were popular so years ago.

They are a way to extend without having to meet the regs once you keep the patio doors in place.

I think he probably has no intention of selling it as a room.
    Worst case scenario, if they ever move they just knock the hallway.
    The new owners can build a new one or just leave it. Or they could knock the whole lot. Loads of choices I guess.

My dad sold house years ago where he build a huge shed without planning.
    It had been there about 10 years when he sold it.
    The buyers solicitor spotted it and asked for planning.
    The two solicitors had a chat and said take the roof off it for the sale (the roof wasnt really taken off).
    Sale went through. That shed is still standing now about 20 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I think he probably has no intention of selling it as a room.
    Worst case scenario, if they ever move they just knock the hallway.
    The new owners can build a new one or just leave it. Or they could knock the whole lot. Loads of choices I guess.

My dad sold house years ago where he build a huge shed without planning.
    It had been there about 10 years when he sold it.
    The buyers solicitor spotted it and asked for planning.
    The two solicitors had a chat and said take the roof off it for the sale (the roof wasnt really taken off).
    Sale went through. That shed is still standing now about 20 years later.

Not sure if that would still happen now, id a house delayed a week while a certificate was issued on a tiny shed built on to the back of a house. I had planned to knock it down once in anyway so told the solicitor to leave it, but both solicitors wanted the cert/report from an engineer. Its a disservice to call it a shed, its literally a metre by a metre and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ACCAman

Hi, I have some questions on building a log cabin that I hope someone can help with. I have been reading online but have struggled to get the exact information I need.
    The cabin I am looking at is under 25m squared building footprint and I am not planning on using it for residential purposes.
    There is a mezzanine floor that sits above the ground floor area ( not the whole floorspace) and my question relates to that. Does the mezzanine area count towards the 25 metre allowance for the building to be built without planning? The eaves height and highest point of the roof both come under the limit for building without planning as far as I am aware.

I also have a question in relation to base and positioning of the cabin. Does the base have any bearing on the requirement for building the cabin without planning? We are looking at putting in a concrete base ourselves.

Last question, is there a set distance that it needs to be from the boundary?

ACCAman wrote: »
    Hi, I have some questions on building a log cabin that I hope someone can help with. I have been reading online but have struggled to get the exact information I need.
    The cabin I am looking at is under 25m squared building footprint and I am not planning on using it for residential purposes.
    There is a mezzanine floor that sits above the ground floor area ( not the whole floorspace) and my question relates to that. Does the mezzanine area count towards the 25 metre allowance for the building to be built without planning? The eaves height and highest point of the roof both come under the limit for building without planning as far as I am aware.

I also have a question in relation to base and positioning of the cabin. Does the base have any bearing on the requirement for building the cabin without planning? We are looking at putting in a concrete base ourselves.

Last question, is there a set distance that it needs to be from the boundary?

1. Mezzanine
    This area is added in my opinion. It’s similar to a single storey rear extension, mezzanine added and it becomes 2 storey.

2. Base.
    This is irrelevant but the total height of the structure is the cabin plus the base so just factor that into your limits.

3. Distance from boundary.
    No set distance. And also, as it’s a shed and non habitable there are no restrictions on windows facing the boundary from memory.

*these are my interpretations of the P&D Act but get others and a local opinion, just don’t get the opinion from the shed company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

as its separate structure you probably need planning some places will not allow log cabins where do you live

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/judge-gives-hermit-nun-more-time-to-find-new-accommodation-1.4361573?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ACCAman

Thanks for both of your inputs. I live in Dublin.

I didn't mention that there is another normal sized wooden shed. This plus the log cabin would bring it over the limit of 25m. I figured if there was ever a problem, i could take the smaller (less expensive) shed down to bring it back under the limit, or apply for planning.

If the mezzanine is counted as floorspace, none of this would be possible without planning so I'll have to look into further on whether it counts towards the limit.

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    as its separate structure you probably need planning some places will not allow log cabins where do you live

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/judge-gives-hermit-nun-more-time-to-find-new-accommodation-1.4361573?mode=amp

The op has already stated it’s under the foot print of 25 Sq. M so planning not required (mezzanine excluded).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I forsee the carbon 'costs' of construction to taken into account in future planning law. This would indicate we will see a massive increase in timber construction in the future.

I forsee the carbon 'costs' of construction to taken into account in future planning law. This would indicate we will see a massive increase in timber construction in the future.

Possibly.
    TRADA have highlighted some massive structures in the UK using timber frame. Think 9, 10 stories etc

The problem is the timber shortages about to hit the industry in the next month or two.

Advertisement