Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Marius34 wrote: »
    For medium term (1-5 years) another important aspect, is natural population growth.

A lockdown baby-boom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Graham wrote: »
    A lockdown baby-boom?

No :)
    Young population. Natural increase: Relatively low death rate vs relatively high birth rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Smouse156 wrote: »

Yeah....the market is in a frenzy...not.

There seem to be a lot of price reductions on myhome.ie...over 100 per week.

Isn't the Nationwide Property Price Barometer based on prices achieved?

Will certainly be interesting to see the figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Pelezico wrote: »
    Yeah....the market is in a frenzy...not.

There seem to be a lot of price reductions on myhome.ie...over 100 per week.

Asking prices on my home and daft are just that - asking prices...

If i was an auctioneer and a lad came to be wanting to sell his 200,000 house for 250,000, I would take it on (some fee up front, free advertising with my signs, get people calling and potentially sell another home, etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Asking prices dont' match sale prices of course, but ultimately follow the same trrends

The number of recorded changes in price in myhome.ie has increased dramatically over the last few months.

If this continues, and the number of transactions remains subdued, a pattern will develop, not dissimilar to the last recession.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Asking prices dont' match sale prices of course, but ultimately follow the same trrends

It will be interesting to see the DAFT report when it comes out.

Dunno if it's been posted or not, but had to laugh when I seen this:

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/tir-na-nog-eagans-field-donabate-dublin/4441772

Quarter of a million euro for a 0.17 acre site and a knock on the door from the Council the minute you get the keys. 'Cash buyers only'.

• Advertisement

Dunno if it's been posted or not, but had to laugh when I seen this:

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/tir-na-nog-eagans-field-donabate-dublin/4441772

Quarter of a million euro for a 0.17 acre site and a knock on the door from the Council the minute you get the keys. 'Cash buyers only'.

What is your problem?

It has a Neptune leak free shower base. Dont you know how expensive those things are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like govt are looking at public recruitment ban and another moratorium on promotions, this will hit staff morale very badly

pay cuts, increment freezes, below inflation pay agreements and tax rises must also be in the offing shortly for public services staff too...

wonder how much this will affect property market confidence in the autumn...

Do you have a link to the details combat14, I'd be curious to see what the plans are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭tigger123

combat14 wrote: »
    looks like govt are looking at public recruitment ban and another moratorium on promotions, this will hit staff morale very badly

pay cuts, increment freezes, below inflation pay agreements and tax rises must also be in the offing shortly for public services staff too...

wonder how much this will affect property market confidence in the autumn...

According to the Irish Examiner, a recruitment ban is one of the options which may or not be considered.

There's nothing about increment freezes, or pay cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭combat14

tigger123 wrote: »
    According to the Irish Examiner, a recruitment ban is one of the options which may or not be considered.

There's nothing about increment freezes, or pay cuts.

not yet it is only a matter of time ..

the country has gone from 45 billion in debt to approx. 245 billion in 12 years

starting to sound a lot like 2008/9 again with public sector being targeted again

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40025909.html%3ftype=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    I'd add

Emigration of non nationals to the list freeing up rentalsupply

Airbnb stock in Dublin returning to long term rental market.

Firesale properties by distressed businesses / landlords.

I was looking at an office in park West for €150k. It's sold already before I could view. That seemed to be firesale to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

starting to sound a lot like 2008/9 again with public sector being targeted again

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40025909.html%3ftype=amp

Your going to see a lot of public sector staff over 50 in a position to retire to go soon into the winter and by new year.

Expect an exodus of teachers and 3rd level staff guards etc. they would mainly fall into this catogory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

What do you you mean by “targeted”? Public sector jobs are a gravy train. You don’t need morale if you haVe a job for life. Misery misery misery

So why don't you get one?

Everyone should defined pension sick pay flexitime increments jobsharing and pretty much immune from being let go once you have a CID.

Problem is only 169 jobs available and they are mainly for Hospital consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭PommieBast

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    I was looking at an office in park West for €150k. It's sold already before I could view. That seemed to be firesale to me....
    Parkwest had a huge glut of commercial space even before the pandemic, so to go that quickly is either a huge discount or an elaborate confidence trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

The Belly wrote: »
    Everyone should defined pension sick pay flexitime increments jobsharing and pretty much immune from being let go once you have a CID.

Problem is only 169 jobs available and they are mainly for Hospital consultants.

Nonsense. Plenty of recruitment campaigns the last few years. People want public sector jobs in a recession but they aren't interested in those jobs during the good times.

Private sector pays more so people go there. Private sector is less secure so people whine about public sector in hard times.

Nonsense. Plenty of recruitment campaigns the last few years. People want public sector jobs in a recession but they aren't interested in those jobs during the good times.

Private sector pays more so people go there. Private sector is less secure so people whine about public sector in hard times.

:rolleyes: Ok

I reckon we will see about 20 price falls on myhome.ie on Tuesday.

:rolleyes: Ok

Ok indeed. Are you saying there haven't been recruitment campaigns the last few years?

I know for a fact that there have been, so why don't all the people who crow on about how great public sector jobs are ever seem to apply for them?

Ok indeed. Are you saying there haven't been recruitment campaigns the last few years?

I know for a fact that there have been, so why don't all the people who crow on about how great public sector jobs are ever seem to apply for them?

Its not the thread for this but

Do a little research and see how many jobs were available in which area and how many applications they received.

Also, see which posts they were not able to fill.

Practically none apart from Health care specialized jobs.

Your "why don't you apply argument" is horse **** the fact is the jobs available are always oversubscribed at all times because of all the perks that go with it.

I presume you're a PS worker but the facts are very very few jobs of similar skills in the private sector provide anything close to the package and security a PS worker gets.

Its not the thread for this but

Do a little research and see how many jobs were available in which area and how many applications they received.

Also, see which posts they were not able to fill.

Practically none apart from Health care specialized jobs.

Your "why don't you apply argument" is horse **** the fact is the jobs available are always oversubscribed at all times because of all the perks that go with it.

I presume you're a PS worker but the facts are very very few jobs of similar skills in the private sector provide anything close to the package and security a PS worker gets.

Yeah it's not the place for this, it's the place to take pot shots at public sector workers without response. Same as last recession blame it on the public sector.

There have been tonnes of recruitment campaigns and they are competitive and they have decent terms.

If you don't apply for a job and don't get it then you've nothing to complain about. If you do apply for a good job with lots of competition and don't get it, that's the fault of neither the job nor the people who did get it.

As for the respective skills of PS vs private sector workers, judging by the comments in this thread I'm sure any semi competent private sector worker will have no problem mopping the floor with the competition during a PS recruitment campaign.

Yeah it's not the place for this, it's the place to take pot shots at public sector workers without response. Same as last recession blame it on the public sector.

There have been tonnes of recruitment campaigns and they are competitive and they have decent terms.

If you don't apply for a job and don't get it then you've nothing to complain about. If you do apply for a good job with lots of competition and don't get it, that's the fault of neither the job nor the people who did get it.

As for the respective skills of PS vs private sector workers, judging by the comments in this thread I'm sure any semi competent private sector worker will have no problem mopping the floor with the competition during a PS recruitment campaign.

The resentment displayed towards the public sector is consistent with that displayed in previous downturns.

For me, the inevitable and inexorable fall in house prices is all falling into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Pelezico wrote: »
    The resentment displayed towards the public sector is consistent with that displayed in previous downturns.

For me, the inevitable and inexorable fall in house prices is all falling into place.

Yes, it is horrible. I was in my 20s during the last recession and I thanked my lucky stars that I had a permanent teaching job during that time but I had a lot of people make me feel really bad about it.

Since the last recession, when times were good, not many of my teaching friends in Dublin could buy property, unless they had very wealthy partners :D

You are kingpin now....bluechip employment in a recession.

You will have your pick of women. Enjoy

• Advertisement

Yes, it is horrible. I was in my 20s during the last recession and I thanked my lucky stars that I had a permanent teaching job during that time but I had a lot of people make me feel really bad about it.

Since the last recession, when times were good, not many of my teaching friends in Dublin could buy property, unless they had very wealthy partners :D

It effect me in no way at all but i can understand why people may be a little pissed off when the country is heading into a major downturn probably massive unemployment and the government is all set to increase PS pay in October.

House prices wise well if employed in the PS and permanent your in a great position if house prices fall as it will be one of the only employment sectors able to get a mortgage as it was in the last crash.

KBC actually asks are you public or priate sector on their website:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement