Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dalex15

arelyn wrote: »
    Hello Guys
    What's the story with the Bill?..I recognized that the bill has passed through the Dail and seanad 5stages of debate and it's about to be signed into law by the president but my concern is that the section 8 that borders on the Help to Buy increment was opposed both in the Dail and Seanad.

Does this mean that section of the bill won't be included in the actual law and the increment from 5% to 10% is a good as dead?

Anyone with a better understanding of the process should please shed more light on this

Can't advise of the process but if that's how is going to be, the bill will be pretty much useless to most applicants.
    Most applicants were having trouble to even reach the max 20k in taxes or by being able to buy a 400k property.
    To think that now the only applicants to avail of the maximum of the scheme, would be very high earners and new builds worth 600k. If the bank would give you a 600k mortgage during these times, you must have 170k annual combined salary.

If you have a 170k annual combined salary, I'm pretty sure if you really want to buy your first property you can do so without government help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

dalex15 wrote: »
    Can't advise of the process but if that's how is going to be, the bill will be pretty much useless to most applicants.
    Most applicants were having trouble to even reach the max 20k in taxes or by being able to buy a 400k property.
    To think that now the only applicants to avail of the maximum of the scheme, would be very high earners and new builds worth 600k. If the bank would give you a 600k mortgage during these times, you must have 170k annual combined salary.

If you have a 170k annual combined salary, I'm pretty sure if you really want to buy your first property you can do so without government help.

First off - where are you getting 600k? Has the max house price moved from 500k? I can't see that anywhere?

Secondly, a FTB purchasing a house of 600k needs max a 540k mortgage, so 155k combined salary, and LTI exemptions are very common with salaries in 6 figures (more disposal income).

GingerLily wrote: »
    First off - where are you getting 600k? Has the max house price moved from 500k? I can't see that anywhere?

Secondly, a FTB purchasing a house of 600k needs max a 540k mortgage, so 155k combined salary, and LTI exemptions are very common with salaries in 6 figures (more disposal income).

Yes, you are correct. Never mind me, it's too early in the day :)
    Probably as I'm buying nowhere near the 500k mark, forgot about it.

They would have to increase the max house price if they want to keep the 5% cap. 500k House with 5% is 25k HTB incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thekingof60

arelyn wrote: »
    Hello Guys
    What's the story with the Bill?..I recognized that the bill has passed through the Dail and seanad 5stages of debate and it's about to be signed into law by the president but my concern is that the section 8 that borders on the Help to Buy increment was opposed both in the Dail and Seanad.

Does this mean that section of the bill won't be included in the actual law and the increment from 5% to 10% is a good as dead?

Anyone with a better understanding of the process should please shed more light on this

I dont think there will be a change from the original bill suggested, there was opposition but I dont think in sufficient numbers. I presume will be signed into law today/Monday - if it had failed/been successfully amended there would be reporting on this and also probably some tweets from SF etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Simplyliving04

So if you apply now, will you be eligible for the increased amount or will we have to wait until the bill has been signed into law and revenue updates their system. At present, Revenue's application portal still says max of €20k when you enter application details on ROS.ie MyAccount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭islander35

So if you apply now, will you be eligible for the increased amount or will we have to wait until the bill has been signed into law and revenue updates their system. At present, Revenue's application portal still says max of €20k when you enter application details on ROS.ie MyAccount

Have to wait until Revenue updates their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thekingof60

islander35 wrote: »
    Have to wait until Revenue updates their system.

Any idea when this is being enacted by the president?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

AskPaul was apparently discussing this scheme on 2fm this morning at 10am. Anyone got a link to where you can re-listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 #014917

Any idea when this is being enacted by the president?

Just signed in the last hour! https://twitter.com/PresidentIRL/status/1289559568574345218

8-10 wrote: »
    AskPaul was apparently discussing this scheme on 2fm this morning at 10am. Anyone got a link to where you can re-listen?

On their site: https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/2fm/21812104

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Conrad83

Wonder how long it will take for Revenue to update their systems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Conrad83 wrote: »
    Wonder how long it will take for Revenue to update their systems!

The site keeps crashing when I try to reapply. Hopefully we can all reapply soon under the new conditions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

I feel like the people who need the HTB scheme most, are the people who can't afford to buy a new build, or build even with the HTB scheme.

Makes it kind of useless for a lot of people who aren't earning major money.

sweet_trip wrote: »
    I feel like the people who need the HTB scheme most, are the people who can't afford to buy a new build, or build even with the HTB scheme.

Makes it kind of useless for a lot of people who aren't earning major money.

I don’t earn major money, somehow it helps me buying my first home. What’s your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Miaconn1234

Hi there
    Can anyone tell me what the wait is from applying for HTB scheme to getting informed as to how much you are allowed to claim? and then verifying a claim.

When we applied early this year it took a week. Not sure if it will take a little longer this time with the influx all at once.

Did anyone manage to reapply? Is the site still crashing for some people?

Looks like revenue still not updated.

I'm waiting to reapply until the website has been updated to reflect the new limits. Afraid to cancel current application just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 #014917

I was able to cancel my application and apply again over the weekend. When I tried to reapply after the initial announcement almost 2 weeks ago, I wasn't able to reapply until I received a message from revenue stating that my application was cancelled.

Also - if you're waiting for the website to be updated, I'd pay note to the disclaimer on the revenue site: https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/support/data-and-security/disclaimer/index.aspx stating
    In the event of any discrepancy between the version of a document obtained from this website and the designated official version, including legislation, the designated official version is the authoritative one.

It may be worthwhile to keep an eye on this page as well for details as they're announced: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/help_with_buying_a_home/help_to_buy_incentive.html

I don’t earn major money, somehow it helps me buying my first home. What’s your point?

My point is, that the cost of buying a new build, or building your own are far more extensive than buying second hand property.

It's a scheme only available to first time buyers.
    A huge portion I'd first time buyers cannot afford the expenses of a new build.

These very people who need a help to buy scheme cannot make use of the help to buy scheme due to the nature of how it's implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

I was told there's a page on Revenue that you can check to see what you're eligible for with the HTB scheme but can't see it anywhere on the site, any pointers?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

We're also holding off on cancelling our current application. We got approved the full 20k pre covid and I'm skeptical of cancelling and being sent to the bottom of the queue because there is a house we have our eye on atm.
    I'm waiting on Revenue to get back to me. I will post any updates here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

My point is, that the cost of buying a new build, or building your own are far more extensive than buying second hand property.

These very people who need a help to buy scheme cannot make use of the help to buy scheme due to the nature of how it's implemented.

The help to buy scheme is designed to help builders who frequented the FF tent at the Galway races ,not first time buyers .even though FG introduced it

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tglynn

There's some absolute ridiculous statements here about the HTB.

I for one am buying a house and it's a huge help to myself and my fiance, we were over the moon to hear about the increase.

The point is it’s an incentive for first time buyers as well as developers.

What expenses a first time buyer cannot aford buying a new build, but can aford with a second hand one? I’m confused about this one.

Most second hand houses you have to invest a lot of money to bring them an A BER rating.

The point is it’s an incentive for first time buyers as well as developers.

What expenses a first time buyer cannot aford buying a new build, but can aford with a second hand one? I’m confused about this one.

Most second hand houses you have to invest a lot of money to bring them an A BER rating.

I have a mortgage approval of €130k + a deposit of 40k.

Total of 170 and maybe i could scrape another 5 or 10 off family if I begged.
    Go find me a new build, or a site and pay builders and architects to draw up a house that cheap.

A second hand house is more affordable and you could tip away at it for years to bring it up to spec.
    The vast majority of first time buyers cannot afford a new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tglynn wrote: »
    There's some absolute ridiculous statements here about the HTB.

I for one am buying a house and it's a huge help to myself and my fiance, we were over the moon to hear about the increase.

Yup an awful lot of “well it doesn’t help me so therefore it’s pointless”. Ireland desperately needs more housing stock, incentivising people to buy already built dwellings doesn’t help that.

Yup an awful lot of “well it doesn’t help me so therefore it’s pointless”. Ireland desperately needs more housing stock, incentivising people to buy already built dwellings doesn’t help that.

Still doesn't make it any less valid. Most first time buyers I've spoken to have no use of the HTB scheme. Country Desperately needs more housing stock but HTB scheme isn't encouraging it unless you have a large dual income.

Good for you if it helps you but it's hardly ridiculous it's of no use to a large portion of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Country Desperately needs more housing stock

So you need to ensure developers are incentivised to build.

This is what the scheme is about, ensuring they get their stock sold in time to move onto the next phase. This extra 10k is to get more people to consider new over second hand and to get them to spend in 2020 and not sit on the fence until next year expecting a crash in prices

Government are essentially subsidising these houses in the same way they're giving 5k off the price of every electric car. Because they want them sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Still doesn't make it any less valid. Most first time buyers I've spoken to have no use of the HTB scheme. Country Desperately needs more housing stock but HTB scheme isn't encouraging it unless you have a large dual income.

Good for you if it helps you but it's hardly ridiculous it's of no use to a large portion of people.

What I’m hearing here is it’s of no use to you which is quite different. I’ve been on this thread for the guts of three years, availed of the HTB two years ago on a single income and seen a lot of people avail of the HTB it’s far from useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

Can anyone tell me if its only worth your while cancelling and reapplying for HTB if you were awarded the full amount? Me and the Mrs were awarded just under 19k last time. Would it stay the same if we went again under the updated HTB?

Advertisement