Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Graham wrote: »
    I suspect many AirBnB hosts are the same.

I'd guess many of those haven't cancelled yet as the extenuating circumstances cancellation policy only applies to stays up to May 31st (for now).

I don't envy any hosts dependant on a handful of bookings 6 months from now, most couldn't survive as evidenced by the sudden rush back to long-term rentals.

Horses for courses. We’ll know in 6 months.

Ozark707 wrote: »
    Even if they do it is unlikely to massively change the supply/demand dynamic...if the place for sale ends up being bought as an investment then no net change, if it purchased by someone who was renting then it is one less place to rent but also one less person looking to rent.

Do you think there are a lot of investors buying one off properties for rental?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Dav010 wrote: »
    Do you think there are a lot of investors buying one off properties for rental?

If an avalanche of them come on the market then the sale price will plummet thereby making them more attractive to one off investors (even though rents are dropping).

I doubt anyone will buy to leave them empty so wherever they ultimately end up will not massively change the dynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Blut2

If I owned an airbnb/STL property I would 100% be looking to get tenants in on a 12 month contract right now. The tourist market might bounce back somewhat by August this year. But its likely to be destroyed again in October/November for 6 months when Corona comes back for the winter. You're looking at at most 2~ months of probably nowhere near normal summer occupancy, and then possibly nothing else until April/May 2021.

At least with tenants on a 12 month contract theres guaranteed income coming in every month. And the property would free up again just in time for summer 2021, if the tourism market is swinging back to normal by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Blut2 wrote: »
    At least with tenants on a 12 month contract theres guaranteed income coming in every month. And the property would free up again just in time for summer 2021, if the tourism market is swinging back to normal by then.

Nope. The property would not be free as the tenants would have Part IV rights entitling them to live there for 5 more years with limited termination options.

• Advertisement

If an avalanche of them come on the market then the sale price will plummet thereby making them more attractive to one off investors (even though rents are dropping).

I doubt anyone will buy to leave them empty so wherever they ultimately end up will not massively change the dynamic.

That’s a lot of assumptions.

You understand, that at a time when rents were at a historic high, lots of LLs were selling?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Caranica wrote: »
    Nope. The property would not be free as the tenants would have Part IV rights entitling them to live there for 5 more years with limited termination options.

absent many realistic or palatable alternatives, I suspect that's the most likely scenario for most previous STL properties.

If I owned an airbnb/STL property I would 100% be looking to get tenants in on a 12 month contract right now. The tourist market might bounce back somewhat by August this year. But its likely to be destroyed again in October/November for 6 months when Corona comes back for the winter. You're looking at at most 2~ months of probably nowhere near normal summer occupancy, and then possibly nothing else until April/May 2021.

Free up again in time for the summer? Do you know how difficult it could be to get your property back for the summer market?

You understand, that at a time when rents were at a historic high, lots of LLs were selling?

Property prices were also doing well which made that decision easier at the time.

Free up again in time for the summer? Do you know how difficult it could be to get your property back for the summer market?

Rather less difficult than trying to maintain any sort of tourist occupancy rates for the next 12 months I'd imagine.

My family has rented out properties where I told any prospective incoming tenants the property would be changing use in 12/18/X months, and I would be expecting them to leave then. The tenants in every case were thankful for the advanced notice, planned around it because they had plenty of time to, and moved out on the forewarned date no problem.

The vast majority of tenants are reasonable adults, if you treat them that way they'll treat you the same.

• Advertisement

I have an Airbnb house that I am just going to wait it out with, and put it up on Airbnb again when things open again later in the year. If rents are falling, the benefits of Airbnb will be even more obvious.

There won't be any airbnb market this year, maybe towards the end if next year.
    Travel & holidays will be very different for the next 18 months at least.
    Good for you if you can leave it empty

Rather less difficult than trying to maintain any sort of tourist occupancy rates for the next 12 months I’d imagine.

Evicting a tenant can take up to a year, and you can only terminate a Part 4 tenancy under certain circumstances. So you would be wrong, I would prefer a property to be empty than spend a year and thousands of Euro evicting a tenant. I would suspect there is a heightened risk of rents not being paid at the moment, and we are going to have to see what way payment of the rolled up rents during the freeze work out, so evictions could go up in the latter half of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

surely if we only allow 4% increases we should be only allowing 4% reductions.

or are laws only ok when landlords get shafted ?

surely if we only allow 4% increases we should be only allowing 4% reductions.

or are laws only ok when landlords get shafted ?

No votes in that one I’d say Eric.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd say the sale prices will take a knock as people get out. Most of these will be bought by people taking the opportunity to get a place in town. This won't result in a reduction in rent (no increases either) for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I do and a colleague was one of them. Interestingly he sold to some who had been renting.

I do and a colleague was one of them. Interestingly he sold to some who had been renting.

Best result possible.

Evicting a tenant can take up to a year, and you can only terminate a Part 4 tenancy under certain circumstances. So you would be wrong, I would prefer a property to be empty than spend a year and thousands of Euro evicting a tenant. I would suspect there is a heightened risk of rents not being paid at the moment, and we are going to have to see what way payment of the rolled up rents during the freeze work out, so evictions could go up in the latter half of the year.

To quote myself, since you apparently didn't read the full post:
    Rather less difficult than trying to maintain any sort of tourist occupancy rates for the next 12 months I'd imagine.

My family has rented out properties where I told any prospective incoming tenants the property would be changing use in 12/18/X months, and I would be expecting them to leave then. The tenants in every case were thankful for the advanced notice, planned around it because they had plenty of time to, and moved out on the forewarned date no problem.

The vast majority of tenants are reasonable adults, if you treat them that way they'll treat you the same.

You wouldn't need to go through an eviction process at all if you simply treated your tenants decently and were honest from the outset.

To quote myself, since you apparently didn't read the full post:

You wouldn't need to go through an eviction process at all if you simply treated your tenants decently and were honest from the outset.

I did read your post, my reply covered the unintended consequence of a tenant refusing to leave at the end of the term. Most errant tenants look, and sound, like good tenants the day the lease is signed. Lots of posters on here treated their tenants decently, then recount the nightmare when they stop paying rent and/or refuse to leave when they are supposed to.

You might expect them to leave, legally though, they can tell you to take a hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭DubCount

Sorry, but that's just not true. There are lots of decent landlords who treated their tenants well, and were rewarded with a non-paying / antisocial / overholding tenants that they had to evict.

• Advertisement

I did read your post, my reply covered the unintended consequence of a tenant refusing to leave at the end of the term. Most errant tenants look, and sound, like good tenants the day the lease is signed. Lots of posters on here treated their tenants decently, then recount the nightmare when they stop paying rent and/or refuse to leave when they are supposed to.

You might expect them to leave, legally though, they can tell you to take a hike.

Landlords posting here are of course going to post a lot of problem stories about tenants. For the same reason tenants posting here post a lot of problem stories about landlords. Because its a forum where people go to ask advice about accommodation, its going to get the problem/unusual cases - not the mundane everyday ones where everything works out.

But on both sides the overwhelming majority of both landlords and tenants are reasonable, normal people who aren't out to screw anyone over.

Letting a property sit idle for the best part of a year, receiving absolutely no income from it, because you're afraid of getting one of the possibly 1% of problem tenants seems insane to me from financial risk/reward point of view. But its your lack of income.
    DubCount wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's just not true. There are lots of decent landlords who treated their tenants well, and were rewarded with a non-paying / antisocial / overholding tenants that they had to evict.

Statistically its completely true. The vast, vast majority of tenancies in Ireland do not end in problematic, drawn out evictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Place beside me is up for rent I noticed on daft this week for exactly the same as our rent - don’t think some landlords are noticing the crisis outside their front doors.

My brother got given notice as well during the month and they managed to secure another place but I found it odd the landlord gave them notice during a pandemic.

Place beside me is up for rent I noticed on daft this week for exactly the same as our rent - don’t think some landlords are noticing the crisis outside their front doors.

My brother got given notice as well during the month and they managed to secure another place but I found it odd the landlord gave them notice during a pandemic.

Depends on whether your neighbour finds someone to rent the property. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

People putting properties onto the market are going to do so at the current rate in the hopes of snagging someone quickly. It will take a while when things are not shifting for people to start reducing rents to try move them and then like dominoes they will fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I don't want to sound smart here but that's delusional, you can treat a tenant as nicely as you can, send Christmas cards and keep it friendly, if they have it in them they will still screw you. From personal experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The Daft rental report published on Friday says to expect significant falls in rent due to the extraordinary shock to housing demand. Oddly the report wasn't widely covered by Irish media and the few articles that did cover it did not quote the words "significant", "falls" and "rents".

https://www.daft.ie/report?fr=touch

The Daft rental report published on Friday says to expect significant falls in rent due to the extraordinary shock to housing demand. Oddly the report wasn't widely covered by Irish media and the few articles that did cover it did not quote the words "significant", "falls" and "rents".

https://www.daft.ie/report?fr=touch

You are cherry picking a few words from the report.

“Despite all its complexities, housing is still a case of supply and demand. It is clear that COVID-19 represents a dramatic contraction in demand for owner-occupied properties. Households will be far less likely to enter into a 30-year mortgage contract, for example, if they are unsure what their 3-, 6- and 12-month prospects are for being employed and for what they'll earn. Things may be different for rental properties. Clearly, unemployment will soar - but if government steps in to guarantee incomes and prevent evictions, then there may be far less change in the rental market than on the sales side.”

Regardless of how honest you are with your tenants, the law remains. After 6 months a tenant gains the protection of a Part 4 tenancy and the rights afforded by a Part 4 tenancy.

This includes the right to continue the tenancy other than for a limited set of circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The idea being that people will obey these laws even though you can see most of these have been ignoring them for a couple of years already. That the mechanism for dealing with them PRTB and similar which were so slow and backlogged before the crisis. Are unlikely to be functional for some time, and then even more backlogged and even slower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...Statistically its completely true. The vast, vast majority of tenancies in Ireland do not end in problematic, drawn out evictions.

What statistics show that tenants who are treated well don't cause long protected evictions?

All the stats show is there aren't many evictions relative to the number of rentals. Unless there's some other way of interpreting this?

Advertisement