Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie Quick and Dirty Renting Guide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

How long was the term of the initial lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭chases0102

athtrasna wrote: »
    How long was the term of the initial lease?

Initial lease was 12 months. Nothing was signed subsequent to the original lease, we just carried in paying.

chases0102 wrote: »
    Initial lease was 12 months. Nothing was signed subsequent to the original lease, we just carried in paying.

Then you're in a Part IV tenancy, as the last poster said, make sure you give the correct notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on renting. Neither myself or my other half have rented before, I was needed at home because of family circumstances for the last few years and my boyfriend has only been in permanent employment for the last few months (he was previously a contract worker). We're both in our mid-late twenties and are scouring the market for somewhere to rent in Dublin. We've been to a few viewings but so far even when we have had holding deposits with us and our work references, the landlords have chosen to go with other parties.

I know it is a landlord's market at the moment but we are both hardworking, responsible people with steady jobs and I am starting to think the reason we aren't getting chosen is because we don't have landlord references. For any landlords, I wanted to ask how big an issue this is for you? Are we going to find it next to impossible to get somewhere without a prior LL reference?

Something which we have also come across just in this past week is the phrase "We will accept the best offer on the day" when arranging viewings. Am I a mug for not offering above the advertised rental price so far?

Appreciate any and all advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A third at most(responding to percentage of wages against renting

Jesus I wish.....

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on renting. Neither myself or my other half have rented before, I was needed at home because of family circumstances for the last few years and my boyfriend has only been in permanent employment for the last few months (he was previously a contract worker). We're both in our mid-late twenties and are scouring the market for somewhere to rent in Dublin. We've been to a few viewings but so far even when we have had holding deposits with us and our work references, the landlords have chosen to go with other parties.

Do you have any incling or feeling why you might be getting overlooked?
    I know it is a landlord's market at the moment but we are both hardworking, responsible people with steady jobs and I am starting to think the reason we aren't getting chosen is because we don't have landlord references. For any landlords, I wanted to ask how big an issue this is for you? Are we going to find it next to impossible to get somewhere without a prior LL reference?
    Myself and my GF got our first apartment no problem without references as first time renters.

A lot of it is about the landlord getting good vibes, and you getting good vibes too. I would try not to get stressed or tunnel vision on anything in particular and just be calm about the whole thing. As you say its a landlords market and they can be very selective, they have the pick of the crop.
    Something which we have also come across just in this past week is the phrase "We will accept the best offer on the day" when arranging viewings. Am I a mug for not offering above the advertised rental price so far?

Appreciate any and all advice.

Well depends. Personally I wouldn't be having any of that, it's just a way for landlords and EA's to grab a few more euros praying on people stressed and panicy.

When me and OH left our apartment looking for a house (few reasons, main one baby on way so wanted somewhere to settle) we came across a number of viewings that were done by group, where auctions started before we got into the living room, or in the garden. I maintained we stay firm, and not feel pressured into engaging in this ****.

My thought process was that there will be something out there, and we just need to keep looking and not comprahmised on what we want property wise, or budget wise. Low and behold we then found a lovely house with a great landlord, who hasn't raised our rent when all around us have been getting them.

That's my strategy going into it, and I don't get flustered or paniced. Might be somewhat job related as well, as I've been involved in big contracts and negotiations etc. in some parts of my career. Plus I'd just take that stance with anything like that, or buying a car etc. Not letting on I'm sweating or desperate, and just being cool about the whole thing, and walking away if I have too.

worst thing I keep seeing with people here, friends, or reading stories, is people who let stress and panic and emotions (tunnel vision on one property) totally overtake logic and sense. The private rental sector "crisis" is a little exagerated. Sure prices are rising, but there is still good prices to be found out there, and there is plenty of properties.

Thats been my experience anyway, both times we went looking, heard how it was a "nightmare" and a "crisis" market, and ended up being pretty fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

TheDoc wrote: »
    Jesus I wish.....

That is the conventional wisdom. The market has been pushing up the prices but we should keep the conventional wisdom to heart so the situation reverts when the market is eventually corrected.

At the moment, I pay almost exactly a third of my net pay on rent. This is without considering my partner's income. This is in the UK, however, so is less manageable in Dublin at the moment. I think we can advise to push the envelope a little due to current conditions, but even still, a young graduate on 25k could easily get a rent share for a third of their takehome pay (~600/month).

That is the conventional wisdom. The market has been pushing up the prices but we should keep the conventional wisdom to heart so the situation reverts when the market is eventually corrected.

At the moment, I pay almost exactly a third of my net pay on rent. This is without considering my partner's income. This is in the UK, however, so is less manageable in Dublin at the moment. I think we can advise to push the envelope a little due to current conditions, but even still, a young graduate on 25k could easily get a rent share for a third of their takehome pay (~600/month).

I know where you are coming from. When I first moved out I had that sort of rule of thumb, and it served me well for my first apartment. Was paying €700 for a two bed which served us fine and all was great, bit of money every month to spend on ourselves.

Then I get the news of impending baby, and we figured we best make the move early so we are all settled. And while I've a lovely house, a great landlord and we are happy out, I'm still forking over 50% of my salary to rent. With the added hit of being a single income household now too.

The extra hit is that there is just no way under the sun I'm furraging money away to save for the new regulations, so only a few days ago made the decision that lifes to short for saving money in vain, so buying myself a new car next year with my work bonus and some savings I might make in the coming months, and **** house ownership.

I'm heavily backing the private rental sector becoming a ticket issue for the next general election, and the government either getting ground broken for new builds to ease the clamp on supply, or bring in some measures on rental caps or guidelines.

The Doc,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I'm happy to say we found a lovely property last week, a little bit further out than we had planned but it's spotless, private and quiet which is what we really wanted. I think I was just starting to panic last week that we were being naive but I am happy didn't get involved in any "best offer" nonsense. I suppose I just wanted reassurance that it was not the standard done thing now!

The Doc,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I'm happy to say we found a lovely property last week, a little bit further out than we had planned but it's spotless, private and quiet which is what we really wanted. I think I was just starting to panic last week that we were being naive but I am happy didn't get involved in any "best offer" nonsense. I suppose I just wanted reassurance that it was not the standard done thing now!

Great to hear. I'm generally a laid back person, so I struggle at the best of times to get paniced or worked up over things, but coupled that with just some work experience for situations and I know panic and emotional attachment to things like this rarely works out well.

There is without doubt a proper problem with the private rental sector out there, but like everything, if your patient, stick to your guns and look around, you will always catch a good deal :)

The best offer garbage is just EA's and LL's grabbing extra money praying on people being in that state of panic etc., which is a horrible thing to do, but sure its a bit like the wild west out there at times.

I'll forever remember and recant those instances where I looked at houses and people shouting offers over each other, as the group stand in the driveway without even walking inside the house. Maybe some people do be in dire situations or facing genuine homelessness or something without getting sorted quick, but it is a surreal experience.

The homer gif backing into the bushes is very much what I did at the two instances where that auction stuff happened

• Advertisement

I'm fairly laid back myself most of the time which I agree is an advantage. We had our budget and were determined to stick to it. I look younger than I am and apparently have an innocent looking face, maybe some landlords thought I would be an easy mark for an extra few quid (they were wrong!).

Really looking forward to moving in now, even if packing up is giving me nightmares about vacuum storage bags. Yes really.

I'm fairly laid back myself most of the time which I agree is an advantage. We had our budget and were determined to stick to it. I look younger than I am and apparently have an innocent looking face, maybe some landlords thought I would be an easy mark for an extra few quid (they were wrong!).

Really looking forward to moving in now, even if packing up is giving me nightmares about vacuum storage bags. Yes really.

Stop, the only massive care I took with packing was my TV, PC and accompanying two monitors. Crawled in the car from apartment to house with them. Friend has a van so everything else went in that.

Got everything rigged back up, to find my motherboard dead. Static generated from the car tricked a few circuits.

I was inconsolable for about two days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

<MOD SNIP>

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/raheny-road-raheny-dublin/1560745/

This is about as close as I could get to your requirements, although it's unfurnished. Everything else in your price range and size requirements is well out of Dublin, unsuitable, etc. You might have to consider widening your search criteria. Dublin Bus do good services outside of the catchment areas of the DART and Luas.

I think finding a school will have to be your first priority. There aren't a lot of gaelscoils in Dublin and it'll be hard to get your child into one at short notice. You need to base your property search around a suitable school.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think finding a school will have to be your first priority. There aren't a lot of gaelscoils in Dublin and it'll be hard to get your child into one at short notice. You need to base your property search around a suitable school.

Getting into a Gaelscoil will be an issue. In Lucan/Leixlip/Maynooth for example- despite a significant number of bunscoils after opening in recent years- often there aren't even places for siblings. I put our two down for school places in west Dublin- the same day that we registered the births- when they were less than 2 weeks old.

School places at primary level in the Dublin area- are ridiculously difficult to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clmitchell

My advice is to treat a property viewing appointment like an interview. Dress smart/professional, be friendly and confident towards the real estate agent and make sure that you have the documents with you in case you decide to lodge an application (make sure you have these in a nice plastic sleeve or similar - not all crumpled up.) Don't wait around deciding, you need to be decisive and decide during the first viewing whether you want it, otherwise you will likely miss out.

Even if you do miss out on the first property, if you have made a good impression on the real estate agent then they may let you know about other good properties that are about to become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

How risky it is to give someone a deposit of >1000 euro without getting a receipt or signing a lease? He requested to give the money in personal and not wire transfer them.
    The guy had his ad in Daft for 1.5 month, I viewed the house, he works in the next building (checked his profile on LinkedIn)

However, he asked the deposit on hand, he did not mention anything about signing a lease and his sms messages are disappearing from my mobile (there is an option for that in some phones, and he should set that intentionally) so there is no proof of communication except some emails.

Maybe I am a little suspicious here, but is a lot at stake here and I am giving >1000 to someone I do not know.

Wizard! wrote: »
    How risky it is to give someone a deposit of >1000 euro without getting a receipt or signing a lease? He requested to give the money in personal and not wire transfer them.
    The guy had his ad in Daft for 1.5 month, I viewed the house, he works in the next building (checked his profile on LinkedIn)

However, he asked the deposit on hand, he did not mention anything about signing a lease and his sms messages are disappearing from my mobile (there is an option for that in some phones, and he should set that intentionally) so there is no proof of communication except some emails.

Maybe I am a little suspicious here, but is a lot at stake here and I am giving >1000 to someone I do not know.

Do not hand over money without something confirming it. I've only ever handed over money in exchange for a signed lease that specifically lists the paid deposit amount (and once a €200 booking deposit which was confirmed by email).

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mr. A

Dipping into the renting pool for the first time in a few years. Many friends tell me it is best to work with landlords then real estate agents... more of a generalisation fair to say? I'd imagine there's bad apples on both sides of it.

Mr. A wrote: »
    Dipping into the renting pool for the first time in a few years. Many friends tell me it is best to work with landlords then real estate agents... more of a generalisation fair to say? I'd imagine there's bad apples on both sides of it.

If someone cares enough about the property to go to the hassle of renting it themselves I would see that as a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Mr. A wrote: »

You can generally judge for yourself how you think the situation will work out if you meet the landlord. In my experience, only once have I had a good outcome while going through an agent. An agent has no responsibility if anything goes wrong with the rental property or the agreement.
    Saying that, it is hard to find a place that is not handled by an agent these days.

Also, I wouldn't really consider it a 'bad apple' situation. If a landlord has ground rules, stipulations etc, that is up to them, but at least you will know about it upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

Hi there - am looking for some advice...
    Renting a room in my own house for the first time via daft...have always rented previously to friends.
    What are the sorts of things I should check out? Think. I have a good 'gut' instinct but want to avoid any pitfalls.
    Thanks!

Renting a room in my own house for the first time via daft...have always rented previously to friends.
    What are the sorts of things I should check out? Think. I have a good 'gut' instinct but want to avoid any pitfalls.
    Thanks!

One of my big things was working hours. If someone works opposite hours to you or shifts, it was an impact on bills as the house is occupied more. Also if they're in a relationship, or if there's a chance they'll be in one, establish ground rules on overnights from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Usernemises

Thanks!

I have lived with a few lads that had taken a few weeks to come out of their shells, wasn't nice at all. Tread carefully when going with the gut, if in any doubt dont let them into your home. Other than that its the same advice as previous poster, establish rules for guests early and what hours are worked. Nothing worse than having some house cat lying on the couch all weekend when all you want to do is watch some tv in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

athtrasna wrote: »
    One of my big things was working hours. If someone works opposite hours to you or shifts, it was an impact on bills as the house is occupied more. Also if they're in a relationship, or if there's a chance they'll be in one, establish ground rules on overnights from the start.

Does saying 2 overnight stays from partners per week (one weeknight & one weekend) seem reasonable? Good to get these things settle first off, you are right!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does saying 2 overnight stays from partners per week (one weeknight & one weekend) seem reasonable? Good to get these things settle first off, you are right!

To be honest- putting in a clause like this in a licence agreement- makes you come across as a control freak- and in addition- for some people- it would be a target, rather than a limit.

Having something vague along these lines might work better-

"Guests must be cleared with (insert home owner's name) in advance- and at least 2 days in advance if they are planning on staying over. In addition- a licensee may not have guests stay over on more than 2 consecutive nights, and no more than 4 instances in any calendar month"...........

(Ok- its not vague- but it stops people taking the piss- and it minimises the risk of random strangers in various states of undress being encountered first thing in the morning........)

I'd also be certain to put detailed instructions on how the heating system for the property works- alongside the immersion heater- if you have one, for water- and plaster signs around the place telling people to turn things off after themselves. You'd be amazed how what you might consider to be bleeding obvious- just isn't obvious at all, to some folk..........

Separate food presses for the person sharing with you- and an agreement on a weekly pot for general household consumables (toilet paper, washing powder, washing up liquid (or tablets), cleaning stuff etc etc)

A rota for a good clean of the house at least once a month.

Monthly rent- to be paid directly into your account on a particular date (the first of the month/the first working day of the month etc etc) There is nothing worse that having to chase people for money. If they set up a standing order for the duration- it'll probably make life easier for both of you. In any event- its not a good idea to carry around a couple of hundred Euro in cash- and it'll save both time and effort for both of you if its automated (not to mention- you'll have a good paper trail for your tax return- and you do have to declare it- even if you have no tax due on it).

Etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

A while ago I posted about a "renters cv" and have been asked many times about what it should contain, so its probably easier to start a thread on it.

I am not a landlord anymore in the RTB sense of the word, so maybe those who are actually following that side of it more closely can add better content than I can, but i'll give it a whirl to start the ball rolling.

When you contact a landlord by email you should attach a "Renters CV" to it, so that he can include you in his shortlist for viewing.
    If email isnt the first contact then tell him you have one and whats in it on the phone and bring it to viewing and hand him a copy to take home and shortlist you.

Here is what I would be looking for.
    State who youll be living with and for all parties provide the following details.

Usual details like.
    Name
    Phone number
    Where you live / are from

Then add in the detail that will separate you from the crowd like.
    Last 3 landlords refs (minimum) and their numbers.
    How long you were living at each property and reason for leaving.
    Work refs.
    Bank statements.
    If you require HAP.

Mod edit: always be careful when sending private data. It is usually preferable to give this in person so you know it isn't a scam.

Then stick in a cover letter about yourself. Where you are from, where you work, how long youve worked there, why you are moving, how great you are and how you would look after the place, like you have never had to call your previous landlords about anything minor etc. Basically tell them all the good things about yourself.

The landlord will ask your referees about the following so if you fell out with any of them of did any of the following, now is the chance to provide a reason. If you dont, the landlord will just throw your application in the bin when he talks to the refs and asks them the question.

So a bit stating if you always paid rent on time, if you missed it, why you missed it. If you used or tried to use the last months rent as deposit, why did you do this. If you withheld rent, why?

Wrap it all up into a nice PDF or word doc and attach it to your email contacting the landlord. Have copies to hand landlords at viewings or to hand agents.

So now hopefully you are in a position that your landlord will keep you in the shortlist and then call your refs. When you pass that you will be invited to the viewing. Or some people might want more at a viewing and only ring refs afterwards. Just depends what way they like to do it. But your CV has covered most of the questions they will be asking and make you look good, and make them remember you, so you make the shortlist. Then if they do decide to meet you, it means that they are cool with letting to you and you just have to turn up and not turn out to be a dick.

After that theyll call in order of preference to offer the property.

Its all about making yourself the preferred tenant. Im sure there is much more, but having all that info at hand when whittling down the sheer amount of contacts is very helpful to a landlord and they will appreciate you doing it far more than having to put effort into finding out all this info.

Others, who are more current, can add to this list, or perhaps suggest better ways of singling out your application than I have.

If its a renters market you wouldnt have to do all this, but the sheer numbers at viewings now or making first contact will be exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Just looking for a little advice. Recently moved into a new place where the previous tenant had lived for four years. On the surface the place looked great; spacious, relatively clean etc. After living here a few weeks some issues have cropped up, and I'm wondering how "far" I can go towards getting them sorted. All relate to appliances.

The washing machine initially wasn't working; blocked filter, fixed easily. Now it is evident that the pressure to the machine isn't strong enough, and there is deposits of dirt (looks like pieces of dirty rubber) present after I cleaned the machine. Every 20/30 mins an error message is displayed, and this interrupts a wash.

The fridge isn't cold enough (dial is near max coldness - deposits of ice building up at the back); milk goes sour in under three days, fruit starts to smell overnight. All of the shelves on the inside of the door are broken and can't hold any weight. The freezer seems fine.

The landlord was happy to send out a plumber to look at the washing machine, and he noticed the low water pressure issue. He seemed to think that the problem went deeper than the washing machine.

I haven't addressed the issues above with my landlord yet, but how far can I go? It appears that the fridge needs to be replaced, but I can't see him wanting to shell out for a new fridge. Is it a case that I just have to suck it up and deal with the faulty appliances?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

No, you are entitled to have a fridge that cools. You are entitled to have a washer that washes (and you should also have a means to dry clothes, either an outdoor drying area or a dryer).

These are actually pretty straightforward things for a landlord to sort out. Through the magic of Power City, a washer and a fridge-freezer can be replaced, including fitting and removal of the old units for under 800 euros. It is less than a month's rent for the landlord. Just sending the plumber out to look at the machine will have cost the landlord 80 euros, which may well turn out to have been a waste of money. It is just not worth wasting time fixing these things if they are more than a couple of years old.

It could well be that your water pressure is low and that is causing the problem. Does the error code that comes up indicate this sort of problem? It wouldn't cause the problem with the rubber that you are describing.

If there is ice in your fridge, it may be that the door isn't closing properly. It may or may not be possible to fix this, but it is worth a try.

It be that the the appliances are just worn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

No, you are entitled to have a fridge that cools. You are entitled to have a washer that washes (and you should also have a means to dry clothes, either an outdoor drying area or a dryer).

Thanks antoinolachtnai. Got a small thermometer for the fridge yesterday and at its coldest setting it’s registering 10 degrees Celsius. The seals look new, so it’s possible they are aware of the issue and tried to mend it for the previous tenant.

Error messages do back up the low water pressure issue. The plastic was blocking the filter, and that was causing another issue. After another deep clean yesterday, the dirt should be gone.

I’ll get onto the landlord tomorrow.

Advertisement