Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daughters looking for Switch for Christmas

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

gar wrote: »
    Hopping on this.
    What game to get out of mario kart, super Mario 3d, Mario brothers u deluxe, mario party?
    Have 2 boys aged 8 and 6

Thanks

Gar

Well my 2c after playing with my nieces (8 & 6):

-Mario Kart is vital, its just that popular with them. Also, if ya dont mind springing for them, I got these ( https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6851150/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CNintendo+Switch%7C50000328/c_3/4%7Ccat_50000328%7CNintendo+Switch+accessories%7C50000330.htm ) to help them grip the Joycons.
    -Mario Party....oddly enough I dunno. Only played the mini games without the boardgame component (about 70 of them so lots of replay-ability) but the then 5 yr old found it a bit hard on some of the games and very frustrating. It could have just have been her, your own might have a better time of it.
    -Not played Mario Odyssey, Mario 3D All Stars or Mario Deluxe but my 8yr old niece was saying one of her friends brought his Switch to school and she played Odyssey and seemed to enjoy it. Would recommend that over 3D All Stars as its more forgiving for younger players too.

Outside of those, could always go with Minecraft; Ive heard its been reasonably popular with kids or something :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Is there a service like gamepass for the switch??

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭plibige

Glebee wrote: »
    Is there a service like gamepass for the switch??

To say its like gamepass is being very dishonest but there is a service with Nintendo switch online of NES online and Super NES online where you get a library of games from that era. If you Google it you'll get an idea of the games you get.

The pro's is its very cheap for €20 a year compared to other services. The con is its only from the 8 bit and 16 bit era. Maybe they might add more consoles down the line but they haven't added anything a quite a while now and I'm starting to doubt they will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Ah, this brings back fond memories of discovering the NES in the top of my parents’ wardrobe that Santa was bringing for Christmas :D

I remember finding a big Lego set in similar circumstances myself, when I was probably only about 8 or 9 years old.

This one really is safe enough, though. It's in a plain brown box on top of some presses along with four other plain boxes, which he knows are "Dad's stuff" and which he has no interest in. He hasn't even noticed the extra box up there, and it's been there a couple of months now.

Took it down last night when he was asleep, to have a look at some of the download games that people here have suggested. Have to say I'm looking forward myself to when he gets it, so that I can play with it properly! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Took it down last night when he was asleep, to have a look at some of the download games that people here have suggested. Have to say I'm looking forward myself to when he gets it, so that I can play with it properly! :D

I have a 1 year old and reading this really resonates with me. I can't wait for himself to be old enough to cop what's going on and be excited for birthdays and Christmas and such. I even find myself putting off things for myself so I can afford things for him. I'm cheaping out on my lunches this week so I can buy a little toy tool set as he was goggle-eyed at the weekend watching me put together some furniture and fitting them for the living room (brackets, saws, drills etc). We can put together his new chair at the weekend. I can't imagine what I'll be like buying him a console when he's older :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So I'm buying 2 switches for 2 of my kids - ages are 8/10

Going by the thread I should be looking at getting them the following:

2 X switches (one red and one grey)
    1 X mario kart
    1 X 3d mario all-stars
    1 X animal crossing?

Am I right?

Loads of kart bundles currently on Amazon, but the grey with animal crossing or 3d all-stars looks to be out of stock everywhere.

Prob just going to get the grey console by itself and purchase the games (animal crossing/3 d all-stars) separately.

Anyone any heads up of stock availability/bundle deals?

I know it's only early Oct, but it's madness in the shops already.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

Had to sign up again to give some good advice :)

Get physical games if you want to easily share the game or sell it later - should keep a good price. Someone can maybe explain how to juggle a digital copy between switches (and you can google) but it seems like a PITA especially with kids and 2 consoles involved. Thanks Nintendo !

Mario Odyssey instead of 3d allstars as a first 3d mario game for switch. Cheaper, much better use of switch technology and fantastic game. 3d all stars is old games running on emulators on switch. While they are fine, Galaxy is amazing, the other 2 are clunky in 2020 on the Switch and do not show the Switch off to its full potential. 3d allstars is more expensive ! There are issues with camera and controls on the Switch. Really, Odyssey is the first 3d Mario platform game they need to play.

They can play Mario Kart on the same console e.g. connected to the TV with one cartridge. For portable play against each other on different switches you'll need 2 mario kart cartridges. Also, makesure you don't get the Switch lite. Get the one that connects to the TV.

Animal crossing. If physical then then can share the cartridge and have separate games/islands/saves on each console. If digital hhhhmmmmm .... thanks Nintendo. Animal Crossing might not be to their taste, but at this stage I imagine they know exactly what it is.

8/10 ---> I highly recommend Zelda Breath of the Wild. The only downside is that you will all become lost in Hyrule for about 100 hours each. But it's brilliant game that no switch owner should be without. Or parent. In fact. I recommend you play this and Odyssey.

Advertisement