Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a Cat-Friendly Landlord in Cork

• 11-06-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Good Evening,

I have been living in Cork since 2007 and two years ago I have moved to Co.Galway for work after I have finished my Ph.D. I have found a new job back in Cork and I am looking to come back next month with my wife and daughter.

I have heard that getting accommodation is even harder then it was a few years back and I would like to ask for your help in finding a landlord who would be cat-friendly.

I have two pure breeds one of which is blind who we got when we went to get the first one as the breeder was going to put him down. They are both fully trained to use both the litterbox and the scratch post hence they do not cause any damage to property. We have supporting documentation proving their origin and a full list of their vaccinations which we carry out on an annual basis.

I am prepared to offer an extra deposit and a guarantee that in the event of moving out we would hire a service to fully clean the property.

I also have references from landlords from both Cork and Co.Galway which I can provide on short notice.

Any information in relation to this would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The problem with asking at the outset is that they will become suspicious. We were specifically told not to have pets but it is absurd that such a rule can be made. As tenants, we are paying for this to be our home and our pet is part of our family. So we just took our cat in with us without mentioning it and if we ever get an inspection will give him to a friend for the period. This works for us always. Not recommending it, just saying what we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Hi Op,

I cant help but it might assist you if you tell people your areas, budget etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

The problem with asking at the outset is that they will become suspicious. We were specifically told not to have pets but it is absurd that such a rule can be made. As tenants, we are paying for this to be our home and our pet is part of our family. So we just took our cat in with us without mentioning it and if we ever get an inspection will give him to a friend for the period. This works for us always. Not recommending it, just saying what we did.

You would also sign a contract stating certain rules which you have to abide by. You seem to ignore these when it suits you. If you want pets, look for a property that accepts them. Why is it absurd? Pets cause extra damage on property, they leave a certain smell that can be awkward to remove. If you want full control of what you allow into a house, buy your own place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Fol20 wrote: »
    You would also sign a contract stating certain rules which you have to abide by. You seem to ignore these when it suits you. If you want pets, look for a property that accepts them. Why is it absurd? Pets cause extra damage on property, they leave a certain smell that can be awkward to remove. If you want full control of what you allow into a house, buy your own place

That's what a deposit is for. The market is not favorable to pets for no justifiable reason and supply is greatly lacking so I've made a reasonable decision myself. There is also a lack of properties to buy without me having to borrow a few hundred thousand euro so I am in a desperate situation.

That's what a deposit is for. The market is not favorable to pets for no justifiable reason and supply is greatly lacking so I've made a reasonable decision myself. There is also a lack of properties to buy without me having to borrow a few hundred thousand euro so I am in a desperate situation.

I agree your in a desperate situation however there is justifiable reasons as i mentioned above - i have had tenants that have had pets destroy the couch, doors from scratching and pee that has gone on carpets.The deposit may not cover the damage to repair all of these so thats why people avoid them. It just highlights the lack of legislation to protect ll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Ingrvar

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Hi Op,

I cant help but it might assist you if you tell people your areas, budget etc.

Hi,

I will be working around the model farm road area so ideally, it would be either close to there or within 15-20 mins bus ride. We are looking at areas such as Ballincollig, Douglas, and the city center. Budget can be from 1200 to a maximum of 1500. I hope this makes it a bit more clear.
    Thanks for your advice!

I agree your in a desperate situation however there is justifiable reasons as i mentioned above - i have had tenants that have had pets destroy the couch, doors from scratching and pee that has gone on carpets.The deposit may not cover the damage to repair all of these so thats why people avoid them. It just highlights the lack of legislation to protect ll.

There is truth to both sides. I believe that landlords have to be more forthcoming to pets but ask for a higher deposit which in theory would cover any extra costs. Landlords can also ask for the tenants to hire a wet cleaning service before they move out. All of these things can be added to a tenancy agreement by any landlord even now and a mutual agreement can be reached. The biggest problem is that demand outweighs supply hence the landlords have become very picky and sometimes unreasonable. Even the rent prices have jumped but the quality of homes has gone down. Salaries have not increased as well which makes renting for some people a challenge.

Ingrvar wrote: »
    There is truth to both sides. I believe that landlords have to be more forthcoming to pets but ask for a higher deposit which in theory would cover any extra costs. Landlords can also ask for the tenants to hire a wet cleaning service before they move out. All of these things can be added to a tenancy agreement by any landlord even now and a mutual agreement can be reached. The biggest problem is that demand outweighs supply hence the landlords have become very picky and sometimes unreasonable. Even the rent prices have jumped but the quality of homes has gone down. Salaries have not increased as well which makes renting for some people a challenge.

Leases and agreements as we see above are meaningless. Il will not see any money over the deposit they already hold so its not worth the risk. If ll didnt have to offer any furniture, contracts were enforceable and wages would be garnished if a tenant did damage in excess of the deposit. Then i think ll maybe more open to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jwright118

At least your being upfront over having pets. Why should a landlord have their couches etc suffer excess damage from undeclared pets. Then if the tenant requested replacement furniture because of this, good luck.
    If your prepared to replace or put up with furniture which is obviously affected by your pets, that's fair enough. Its just undisclosed pets, then looking for replacement furniture when it suits, would lead to the landlord thinking you've a cheek.

The OP is doing the right thing. There are some ll that are pet lovers and are open to this. They know what to expect also so its fair game then

• Advertisement

Leases and agreements as we see above are meaningless. Il will not see any money over the deposit they already hold so its not worth the risk. If ll didnt have to offer any furniture, contracts were enforceable and wages would be garnished if a tenant did damage in excess of the deposit. Then i think ll maybe more open to it.

You can ask for a higher deposit up front. Besides, do you honestly think that a tenant without a pet or a child cannot cause more damage? People who are responsible will be responsible at all times no matter what. That is why you have face to face meetings with possible tenants and ask them where they work, etc... What should a tenant do if he is open about having animals but everyone uses your logic and says no? He gets rejected house after house and because you have only one month to find a new place after your notice at some point you will have to lie just to not end up on the street. As I have mentioned in my initial post, I would love to be open and honest about the entire situation but if everyone keeps saying no then I will not have a lot of choice as was mentioned in a previous comment. I understand your fear of property damage and loss of money but having a pet does not equal more severe property damage.

jwright118 wrote: »
    At least your being upfront over having pets. Why should a landlord have their couches etc suffer excess damage from undeclared pets. Then if the tenant requested replacement furniture because of this, good luck.
    If your prepared to replace or put up with furniture which is obviously affected by your pets, that's fair enough. Its just undisclosed pets, then looking for replacement furniture when it suits, would lead to the landlord thinking you've a cheek.

First of all, you can tell the tenant to replace the couches themselves if they are the ones who caused the damage. Second, you can have people who will damage furniture more than animals so using your logic you should deny them everything as well? People have to be a bit more open-minded about these things but put levers in place to get compensation if a tenant is not being responsible or honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jwright118

First of all, you can tell the tenant to replace the couches themselves if they are the ones who caused the damage. Second, you can have people who will damage furniture more than animals so using your logic you should deny them everything as well? People have to be a bit more open-minded about these things but put levers in place to get compensation if a tenant is not being responsible or honest.

All of that is irrelevant if the tenant doesn't disclose they have pets before moving in. First of all, you can tell the tenants to replace damaged furniture, that doesn't guarantee they'll replace it. Second, you can have people who turn out to damage furniture more than animals, yes, with hindsight. Obviously, declaring pets at the outset, the potential to cause damage to furniture is greater, than without pets. Its up to the landlord if they're open minded or not on a property they ultimately own.

It can be hard to judge people sometimes. I have come across people that work in an office job and look really professional however when it comes to their home, they have some extremely odd habits for example a person going to the toilet in bottles and not disposing of them instead of using a working toilet.

Tenants without pets/children can do more damage. The odds of pets doing more wear and tear inadvertently to the property is more likely though. It doesnt matter about vetting the adults, pets will be pets and you cant avoid it.

You can lie if you want, thats your prerogative. You could be waiting in fear of the ll finding out though. I have evicted some tenants as a result of pets be it complaints from neighbors, noticing pets toys/smell when i inspect etc.

If your up front and find a ll that accepts them then you can leave the curtains open and not worry about neighbors reporting if they ever see your pets.

More than likely. I would recommend looking at places that are not in as good a condition as the ll would be more open to it rather than a super modern place. Hopefully it all works out for you. Countryside houses might see better luck also.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I can walk into any house and tell you if a cat or dog lives there even by just coming in the door. They all produce a smell, the owners often become immune but others will smell it.

Rental houses with pets usually work out 20% absolutely fine - 80% having to change all the carpets and curtains after a tenancy.

There is measures in place to recoup damages but in practice, they are not fit for purpose. Im not talking about pets specifically here but you can have a tenant cause 50k in damage/lost rent. There might be an order against the tenant to repay a 100e a month. This in itself is poor as the ll could be dead by the time he receives the total amount coupled with the fact that tenants just stop paying it after a few months and its difficult to force them to pay. Most ll who have been in the RTB just write off the damage as they know they will never see the money again. If everything was enforceable, i would be more open to pets however with the current system, it is all about mitigating risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have had several tenancies with dog( s) and cats. There has never been any damage to soft furnishings etc and never any mess as I am careful . And so are they.Always eg sofas get covered with thick cloth. Loose rugs are taken up ( trip hazard etc) and I have rarely seen carpet in a rental.

Doors are opened often in the day and rarely visitors anyway. NB any aroma will depart when the pets do. And yes I would notice it.

Most times the landlord has known in advance that I have pets. I think once that did not happen. when we moved in there was cat food in the cupboard and a dog lead hanging up.

OP good luck; I hope you find a haven for yourself and your cats .

I can walk into any house and tell you if a cat or dog lives there even by just coming in the door. They all produce a smell, the owners often become immune but others will smell it.

Rental houses with pets usually work out 20% absolutely fine - 80% having to change all the carpets and curtains after a tenancy.

If so, then the aroma will depart when the tenants and their pets do and as you are not living there what does that matter?

None of the curtains etc where I have lived have ever needed replacing. And most rentals I know have lino or laminate floors. Most pets are house trained.

Graces7 wrote: »
    If so, then the aroma will depart when the tenants and their pets do and as you are not living there what does that matter?

None of the curtains etc where I have lived have ever needed replacing. And most rentals I know have lino or laminate floors. Most pets are house trained.

The aroma doesnt always part with them. Iv had new tenants complain many moons ago about the pre existing smell.

My own dog is house trained but Randomly over the years, she has had an “accident”. Their pet animals so you cant really do much to prevent it.

Havent had any issues with curtains myself but could see it happening if you have cats.

It not relevant if the owner is living there. Its about the extra wear and tear along with the added hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

You are most likely in breach of your tenancy.

I wouldn't like that hanging over me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Graces7 wrote: »

With the best will in the world, it wont, at minimum professional cleaning will be required. Animal owners just seem completely oblivious to this and think their love for their pets means nobody else could possibly have an issue.

Not telling landlords is also a massive issue as new tenants may have children severely allergic to cat dander and them not knowing to have all fibres cleaned could be a health hazard.

With the best will in the world, it wont, at minimum professional cleaning will be required. Animal owners just seem completely oblivious to this and think their love for their pets means nobody else could possibly have an issue.

Not telling landlords is also a massive issue as new tenants may have children severely allergic to cat dander and them not knowing to have all fibres cleaned could be a health hazard.

On this our awarenesses and experiences differ. My cats are totally house trained and all the soft furnishings are well protected. Never had carpets in a rental yet either.

If you have never had pets of course you may have wrong ideas...

Guys, this is all good and well but this post was initially started in order to get help in finding such a place and not to debate on whether it's is morally grey.

Could you please let me know if you have friends, colleagues, relatives, etc... who are either landlords who will allow pets or who might know such a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tomek398

Old topic and I hope you found a place which is pet friendly. I own a cat and trying to find such a place in Cork. It is a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

I love animals but if I was a landlord, I would not allow pets, especially cats

I rented an apartment and previous tenants had 2 cats that they didn’t tell the landlord about

Floor was covered in scratches, leather couch, the back and arms covered in scratches, piss on the bedroom floor by the cat

Unfortunately, if you want to be a pet owner, best to own your place

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tomek398

Floor was covered in scratches, leather couch, the back and arms covered in scratches, piss on the bedroom floor by the cat

Cats like people are all different. If they scratch furniture or floors it means that they are not properly house trained and the owner is the one to blame.
    Indoor cats should have their claws trimmed regularly
    Unfortunately, if you want to be a pet owner, best to own your place

Of course, the best option is to own a place but life is sometimes complicated and you can't simply buy it for various reasons.

Advertisement