Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swords, North Co. Dublin

• 11-06-2019 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

If you had 390k to buy a house in Swords or nearby area, where would you look? We are a couple with 2 primary school aged children. It will be our first home. We was looking at houses in Waterside, Holywell and Boroimhe. Which estates or areas are a no-no and which seem quiet enough (as in no anti-social stuff going on)? Or should we be looking at Kinsealy instead? All advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

jumjum wrote: »
    If you had 390k to buy a house in Swords or nearby area, where would you look? We are a couple with 2 primary school aged children. It will be our first home. We was looking at houses in Waterside, Holywell and Boroimhe. Which estates or areas are a no-no and which seem quiet enough (as in no anti-social stuff going on)? Or should we be looking at Kinsealy instead? All advice welcome.

Swords is like any big town, there's a mix of things. In a general sense it is a safe town, with plenty of quiet estates. My own view is to look at the more mature areas of the town. I don't know waterside well, but I'd avoid hollywell. I can't say anything about how quiet or otherwise it is, but it is a concrete jungle of apartments and duplexes on top of each other. It wouldn't be for me. For the same reason I'd avoid the immediate area around Applewood village. The estates around Applewood are nice though, é.g. Bunbury, south bank etc

Places in your price range like Sanford Woods, boroimhe, Ormond, etc are nice areas, more traditional semi-d with gardens and greater privacy and generally quiter areas.

Kinsealy is grand, but swords has a lot more amenities, public transport etc closer to hand. IF metro ever comes, Swords will enjoy direct benefits in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I'd be looking at the other side of swords...rathbeale side. Your problem is people don't tend to sell up.

Lived in holywell for 15 years and sold in December. It never matured the way it should have done. I moved cos originally a South sider. But was great having the school on your doorstep and Tesco. It's better than waterside.
    Waterside is all terraced. No open spaces. And management fees.

Boroimhe is nice but again management fees and lots of airport noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

Rivervalley is a nice mature estate with some schools and walking distance to the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

jumjum wrote: »

Ridgewood. Just in your price range and great place to live. I just bought in the new ashfield estate in ridgewood and love it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Look further north (Donabate / Portrane / Rush / Lusk) and you'll get more house for your money in a quieter area (with direct bus lines into Swords for shopping etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pflano

Millers Glen/Meadowbank new houses, perhaps?

Pflano wrote:
    Millers Glen/Meadowbank new houses, perhaps?
    I wouldn't spend 390 down there. It's a concrete jungle.
    I'd definitely be looking to donabate with my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 conal08

peteb2 wrote: »
    I'd be looking at the other side of swords...rathbeale side. Your problem is people don't tend to sell up.

Lived in holywell for 15 years and sold in December. It never matured the way it should have done. I moved cos originally a South sider. But was great having the school on your doorstep and Tesco. It's better than waterside.
    Waterside is all terraced. No open spaces. And management fees.
    Hey Pete, what do you mean by it never matured the way it should have done? Are there any specific issues to be aware of / look out for? I'm a first time buyer and was looking in Hollywell recently. Cheers!

i mean after 15 years an estate should have bedded down a bit more, if you get me. There are too many apartments and too many people renting in the estate to the extent that they dont give too much of a toss if i'm honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement