Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

This will be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

This is the case we've all been waiting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It wasn't that they didn't want a dodgy baby, they were told the child wouldn't survive.

Maybe read up on what Edwards Syndrome is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 elusiveoctopus

amcalester wrote: »
    It wasn't that they didn't want a dodgy baby, they were told the child wouldn't survive.

Maybe read up on what Edwards Syndrome is.

"It was thought the baby had Trisomy18, also known as Edwards Syndrome, but a series of genetic tests later found that was not the case."

Maybe they should confirm the child had the disease before acting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

There were 3 sets of tests sent for but they acted on 2 (the most comprehensive test being the one where results came back after termination)

From a legal sense how can they act without all information being back.

From a budget sense why are you ordering third party testing without ever planning on taking them into consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭daheff

"It was thought the baby had Trisomy18, also known as Edwards Syndrome, but a series of genetic tests later found that was not the case."

From what I heard about this case (on news radio) the first test said the child had the disease. A second test was delayed in being reported. This test had a different result.

Really sad that this has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It's not a disease.

For all we know they (I assume you're referring to the parents) thought it was confirmed.

How the f-- did the hospital make a balls of the genetic test twice in a row?

How does that even happen?

The chances of two false positives in a row for Edwards Syndrome must be staggeringly unlikely, unless there was a mix-up with another foetus?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

How the f-- did the hospital make a balls of the genetic test twice in a row?

How does that even happen?

The chances of two false positives in a row for Edwards Syndrome must be staggeringly unlikely, unless there was a mix-up with another foetus?

A user called seasidedub made two posts over on the A&A forum today on that very question if you want to go read them. I am not sure I should copy and paste their content here incase that is plagarism or some such :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

daheff wrote: »
    From what I heard about this case (on news radio) the first test said the child had the disease. A second test was delayed in being reported. This test had a different result.

Really sad that this has happened.

Really very sad for the parents.

I have direct experience of a baby being born with Triosomy 13 over 20 years ago. It was badly deformed and lived for less than a month. Today, if I was faced with the choice facing these parents I'd make exactly the same decision they did.

Giving birth to a such a deformed and/or non viable baby is a nightmare I wouldn't wish any parent or newborn child to have to endure.

The problem here is protocol abs process which need to be improved to minimise a repeat happening again but regardless of how good the process or protocol human error in medicine/healthcare will always occur whether it is an early stage foetus or an 80 year old pensioner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Your first post on Boards is a heavy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

The 8th amendment would have given a legal right to life to this poor defenceless innocent human life, and prevented his or her killing. Sad but true. All the right on lefty liberal 'woke' brigade : are you proud now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

The 8th amendment would have given a legal right to life to this poor defenceless innocent human life, and prevented his or her killing. Sad but true. All the right on lefty liberal 'woke' brigade : are you proud now?

Not the same, A mother aborted her child that she (hopefully) wanted because of misinformation....
    Totally different, so off you ride on your waffle train.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Not the same, A mother aborted her child that she (hopefully) wanted because of misinformation....
    Totally different, so off you ride on your waffle train.

Doesn't change the fact the 8th would have prevented this healthy baby's killing. The truth hurts sometimes.

What do you mean "now"? I am proud of the work we did to repeal some harmful text in our constitution.

And I did so KNOWING a case like this would eventually happen. Why? Because ALL medical intervention comes with the risk that we will make a bad call, or make the right call on bad information. We know there is a potential for this. This is not somehow unique to abortion by any means. If we were to halt medical progress because of the potential for isolated cases of this sort, we would make no progress at all.

If people are using medical information to make medical decisions, then statistically we will inevitably ALWAYS find a case where the medical information was wrong.

All we can do is work to minimise such occurrences. And when they DO occur, make it clear we are learning from them.

And that too will make me proud, if we do it correctly.
    Doesn't change the fact the 8th would have prevented this healthy baby's killing. The truth hurts sometimes.

The truth only hurts if one is not willing to accept reality and be prepared for it. Even the best medical intentions will result in bad and upsetting results eventually. THAT is the truth we need to swallow, and nothing about this case is relevant to me as an argument against what I feel the referendum got 100% right.

Yes. I am very proud to have repealed the 8th amendment for many reasons.

This is a very sad story, I hope hospitals put procedures in place so that it never happens again.

The same amendment has seen the death of mothers like Savita Halappanavar.

Tragic cases like this don't justify a position there are always gonna be singular cases for and against

Like many others, this couple may well have just gone to England for a termination, adding further to their trauma through stigma and isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

I support abortion.

But i'm curious, in this instance if the 8th hadn't been changed would the baby have been aborted (in Ireland)?

What are the facts? without getting emotive over what has happened here please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Actually it wouldnt have.

Presuming the mother got the same results and decided (as she did this time) to have an abortion she would have had to go through the trauma of travelling to have said abortion.

The 8th would not have stopped this from happening so climb back down off your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It was obviously the child's destiny.

There are no winners in complex situations like this. I am not sure about your empathy to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

There's a serious malpractice case in the offing here.
    I know somebody who had to get tested for this very issue, as far as I know the tests are done in America and take time to come back, but not so much that it's a massive wait.
    In the end their baby was healthy, it must be a real gut punch for that couple to find out the abortion wasn't necessary.
    Whoever is responsible should be struck off.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is a very sad case, but the couple can't complain, only they made that choice.
    The parents and the unborn had no choice to undo the past when the wrong diagnosis was discovered. But ultimately this was the choice of the parents.

Actually it wouldnt have.

Presuming the mother got the same results and decided (as she did this time) to have an abortion she would have had to go through the trauma of travelling to have said abortion.

The 8th would not have stopped this from happening so climb back down off your high horse.

That may not be true as results may or may not have come back in the meantime (unclear of timeline)

However I do agree with the sentiment of the post.

nullzero wrote: »
    There's a serious malpractice case in the offing here.
    I know somebody who had to get tested for this very issue, as far as I know the tests are done in America and take time to come back, but not so much that it's a massive wait.
    In the end their baby was healthy, it must be a real gut punch for that couple to find out the abortion wasn't necessary.
    Whoever is responsible should be struck off.
    I don't know if they should be struck off, but on the face of it, the words 'gross negligence' leap off the screen, reading that article.

The idea that anyone thinks this is a basis for reinstating the 8th amendment is preposterous. The story here is a pretty shocking mis-diagnosis.

I don't believe you can sue for wrongful birth (eg baby born after vasectomy), but I assume you can, in theory, sue for wrongful abortion?

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is a very sad case, but the couple can't complain, only they made that choice.

That depends, as another user wrote on another thread, on how well the meaning of the results of the test was explained to the couple in question. As the user wrote, the tests that likely were done were screening tests, not diagnostic.

If that was not explained adequately to the couple in question THAT is a problem. And not at all the couples fault.

I will wait for the details before I take part in trial by social media on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

What an idiotic (I'm being kind) post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Such a sad time for the parents.
    All the best intentions and then to find out they'll be without child.

Its not good, not good at all.

Advertisement