Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE-news website video's too slow!

• 12-11-2010 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

The RTE news website is good. However, their videos are too slow! They pause every few seconds while playing...which is frustrating. I wish they had an option like YouTube where the user can select a lower quality image so the video can run more smoothly.

p.s. I'm located in South Korea, a country with one of the fastest internet connections in the world. So if it's problematic for me, it must cause problems for others.

I hope RTE sees this and does something about it.

Rant over. Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, as you say, it's unlikely to be a problem your end simply because you're in a country with some of the best broadband on the planet, but it's definitely not their end either because I just did a little test and was able to start 6 concurrent RTE player streams at once without any buffering or stuttering at all so it's not RTE's fault either.

th_videoscreencap.jpg

have you tried starting the video's then pausing them for a couple of minutes to let them buffer? not sure if it'll work, but it sometimes does on a lot of video sites if there are buffering issues.

chances are it's an issue in one or more of the many hops somewhere in between you and RTE that is causing the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Interesting. It's good to know that it works for you, so i can stop blaming RTE.

I tried pausing the thing for a good few minutes but that didn't work. It's not like it is on YouTube where you can pause it and let it download first.

I just tried to watch good ol' Pat Kenny on the Frontline, but was frustrated every 10 seconds by it freezing. Aarrrghhh! Aww well. C'est la vie.

I used to have such problems with RTE a few months ago, then it improved for a few months, now it's back again. I hope it's just temporary. I like to keep up with the news at home.

p.s. Good Lord, there's nothing but bad news coming from Ireland at the moment. At least it makes for interesting news! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's the bits inbetween.

This is why "real" IPTV (rather than rubbish Web TV) only works properly from Servers on your own ISP network.

You can test on Speedtest.net. Futher away you test, it gets slower and more variable between tests.

LOCAL Ireland
    1032031680.png

Distant Seoul, Korea
    1032033064.png

You can see the speed is limited to under 1.9Mbps. The problem is not Ireland/RTE or Seoul/Korea but congestion between :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Shinto wrote: »
    Interesting. It's good to know that it works for you, so i can stop blaming RTE.

I tried pausing the thing for a good few minutes but that didn't work. It's not like it is on YouTube where you can pause it and let it download first.

I just tried to watch good ol' Pat Kenny on the Frontline, but was frustrated every 10 seconds by it freezing. Aarrrghhh! Aww well. C'est la vie.

I used to have such problems with RTE a few months ago, then it improved for a few months, now it's back again. I hope it's just temporary. I like to keep up with the news at home.

p.s. Good Lord, there's nothing but bad news coming from Ireland at the moment. At least it makes for interesting news! :)

I have seen this before where a person had a great connection but videos just kept buffering and it was caused by the processor in the pc not able to handle all the processes going on on the pc plus streaming videos.

Try turning off some applications on your pc and try it again to see if it has improved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Same problem here. The thing is tv3 works fine and on the older site that allowed one to play video files via flash player it was fine as well. But the rte player thing never used to work for me. Is there anyway where I can get the damm thing to buffer like youtube or tv3? Mighty annoying!

Better still can I open the videos via real player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's DRM'd, secured Flash.

Is there anyway around this? It buffers max about 20 seconds at a time then drops down to 2-3 seconds... the encryption is all well and good but I don't see that its really necessary for the news or current affairs and that it makes playing it abroad pretty much impossible

jank wrote: »
    Is there anyway around this? It buffers max about 20 seconds at a time then drops down to 2-3 seconds... the encryption is all well and good but I don't see that its really necessary for the news or current affairs and that it makes playing it abroad pretty much impossible
    i think their point is, you're not supposed to be playing it abroad, much like the BBC iPlayer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

All videos are encrypted the same way, there's no difference between the news system and the player/GAA. I don't think there's any point in unsecuring the news, all done the same way stops exploits etc

vibe666 wrote: »
    i think their point is, you're not supposed to be playing it abroad, much like the BBC iPlayer. :)

I am not using a proxy or anything like that. The content I am viewing is supposed to be viewable abroad as there is some content there that I cannot view, thats fair enough. Thing is this content, due to the new way they are streaming it is petty much impossible to view abroad so defeats the purpose of letting users abroad watch it.

• Advertisement

I am not using a proxy or anything like that. The content I am viewing is supposed to be viewable abroad as there is some content there that I cannot view, thats fair enough. Thing is this content, due to the new way they are streaming it is petty much impossible to view abroad so defeats the purpose of letting users abroad watch it.
    balls, sorry then i'm not sure if there's anything you can do, unless you want to try emailing them directly? maybe there's something they can do to improve things for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

As an Irishman abroad, i have to resort to the BBC to get my Irish news (for the reasons mentioned above). I hope that changes. There's noting better than getting your news and analysis from the likes of Ann Doyle or Pat Kenny. You don't appreciate those familiar voices until you're far away. he he.

Shinto wrote: »
    As an Irishman abroad, i have to resort to the BBC to get my Irish news (for the reasons mentioned above). I hope that changes. There's noting better than getting your news and analysis from the likes of Ann Doyle or Pat Kenny. You don't appreciate those familiar voices until you're far away. he he.
    the only thing can recommend is to contact RTE directly to let them know. it's possible they aren't even aware there are any issues like this and there may be something they can do to improve the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bonefissh36

th_videoscreencap.jpg

have you tried starting the video's then pausing them for a couple of minutes to let them buffer? not sure if it'll work, but it sometimes does on a lot of video sites if there are buffering issues.

chances are it's an issue in one or more of the many hops somewhere in between you and RTE that is causing the problems.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

th_videoscreencap.jpg

chances are it's an issue in one or more of the many hops somewhere in between you and RTE that is causing the problems.
    Well I'm on 50Mb with UPC in Dublin 6,
    and the videos from RTE Player keeps buffering also.

From Dublin 4 to Dublin 6 should not involve that many hops I would have thought. I'm only about 2-3 kilometres from RTE studios.

Even the add-in "Video Downloadhelper" on Firefox won't work on their flash videos. I have to resort to using one of these to record the programme onto my Media Player.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Even the add-in "Video Downloadhelper" on Firefox won't work on their flash videos. I have to resort to using one of these to record the programme onto my Media Player.

RTE use encrypted Flash Player streams as said above, so cannot be downloaded like Youtube videos can. Some Youtube videos are encrypted also, like the 4OD channel.. Usually RTMPE or similar technology

Nick

Advertisement