Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's toilet etiquette: what is wrong with so many men?

• 11-01-2019 12:25am

I think after littering/not caring about the environment this is the societal behaviour in Ireland that annoys me most. I doubt it's unique to Irishmen, but are there any countries where males do not behave like this in toilets? A society of men with toilet manners and toilet etiquette?

The filth. Manky. Horror. Jesus. Mary. Joseph. What way are so many men raised that they urinate on toilet seats and floors and seem wholly incapable of hitting a simple target of water in a toilet bowl? Basic respect.

And then there's the minor matter of flushing the toilet. It's allowed, you know? If you must urinate in a toilet as opposed to at a urinal, could you please wipe the seat (assuming you're too lazy to lift it beforehand) with the toilet paper, or tissue in your pocket if there's no toilet paper, and then flush after you? And, yes, many people like you to put down the toilet lid also. A simple consideration for the next person.

And then there's the excrement. Mother of God. Flush the damn thing quickly if it's too difficult to position your posterior (arse) so that your poop drops into that bowl of water. Use the brush if you lack the technical skill to hit the water. If there's no brush, be creative and save your pee for a stand up to scorch the poo off the sides above the water. And if it's a really big, stinky Blue Whale-sized one, flush immediately - immediately! - before the stink has the time to kill us all. Then worry about the wiping etc.

This problem is particular awful in the huge number of substandard pubs in poorer areas in Dublin and across rural Ireland. It's like the owner doesn't even think twice about ensuring the toilet is checked every day never mind every hour, or that the brown-stained, cracking urinal that's been there with the cracked tiles, endemic fumes and poor ventilation since 1950 is changed. Even in some of Dublin's hugely profitable "legendary" traditional pubs where apparently great pints flow the toilets remain as they would have been in 1950. Cheapskate owners are trying to pass off awful hygiene and comfort standards as "traditional". Is there even a minimum hygiene standard in Irish law for these places? In the soulless superpubs amid the roaring televisions and/or music, the toilets are generally better kept, but that's about their only redeeming feature. Is it not possible for publicans to create pubs with character, tradition and regularly cleaned, well-maintained toilets?

Do the huge number of males who treat toilets in pubs, restaurants, etc like this in 2019 treat the toilets in their own homes like this? It's a matter of basic respect, you barbarous, ignorant arrant troglodytes.

Not much seems to have changed since this review of Irish pubs in 1971 (from 12:58)

s-l300.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

What have I just read

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Having worked in hotels, hostels and bars I regret to say that the women's toilets can be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

You have serious mental problems :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Fuaranach wrote: »
    I think after littering/not caring about the environment this is the societal behaviour in Ireland that annoys me most. I doubt it's unique to Irishmen, but are there any countries where males do not behave like this in toilets? A society of men with toilet manners and toilet etiquette?

The filth. Manky. Horror. Jesus. Mary. Joseph. What way are so many men raised that they urinate on toilet seats and floors and seem wholly incapable of hitting a simple target of water in a toilet bowl? Basic respect.

And then there's the minor matter of flushing the toilet. It's allowed, you know? If you must urinate in a toilet as opposed to at a urinal, could you please wipe the seat (assuming you're too lazy to lift it beforehand) with the toilet paper, or tissue in your pocket if there's no toilet paper, and then flush after you? And, yes, many people like you to put down the toilet lid also. A simple consideration for the next person.

And then there's the excrement. Mother of God. Flush the damn thing quickly if it's too difficult to position your posterior (arse) so that your poop drops into that bowl of water. Use the brush if you lack the technical skill to hit the water. If there's no brush, be creative and save your pee for a stand up to scorch the poo off the sides above the water. And if it's a really big, stinky Blue Whale-sized one, flush immediately - immediately! - before the stink has the time to kill us all. Then worry about the wiping etc.

This problem is particular awful in the huge number of substandard pubs in poorer areas in Dublin and across rural Ireland. It's like the owner doesn't even think twice about ensuring the toilet is checked every day never mind every hour, or that the brown-stained, cracking urinal that's been there with the cracked tiles, endemic fumes and poor ventilation since 1950 is changed. Even in some of Dublin's hugely profitable "legendary" traditional pubs where apparently great pints flow the toilets remain as they would have been in 1950. Cheapskate owners are trying to pass off awful hygiene and comfort standards as "traditional". Is there even a minimum hygiene standard in Irish law for these places? In the soulless superpubs amid the roaring televisions and/or music, the toilets are generally better kept, but that's about their only redeeming feature. Is it not possible for publicans to create pubs with character, tradition and regularly cleaned, well-maintained toilets?

Do the huge number of males who treat toilets in pubs, restaurants, etc like this in 2019 treat the toilets in their own homes like this? It's a matter of basic respect, you barbarous, ignorant arrant troglodytes.

Not much seems to have changed since this review of Irish pubs in 1971 (from 12:58)

s-l300.jpg

I'd put this more on greedy publicans. They charge damn well enough for each pint that they could at least have the decency to keep a cleaner on standby. Really I think pub toilets should be checked every 30 minutes or so.

I don't think though that fellas after 10 pints are going to be too bothered about keeping a sense of aim in the urinals. It's disgusting, but been drunk makes people sloppy in their thinking and consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭mosstin

You're taking the piss.
    We don't give a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

And then there's the excrement. Mother of God. Flush the damn thing quickly if it's too difficult to position your posterior (arse) so that your poop drops into that bowl of water.

giphy.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

DS86DS wrote: »
    I'd put this more on greedy publicans. They charge damn well enough for each pint that they could at least have the decency to keep a cleaner on standby. Really I think pub toilets should be checked every 30 minutes or so.

I don't think though that fellas after 10 pints are going to be too bothered about keeping a sense of aim in the urinals. It's disgusting, but been drunk makes people sloppy in their thinking and consideration.

I would have never knew it was the op you were replying, thanks for quoting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

This problem is particular awful in the huge number of substandard pubs in poorer areas in Dublin and across rural Ireland.

Not just a problem in Dublin I witnessed the very same when I was in college. I saw a clogged toilet nearly everyday and piss everywhere. I personally think it's due to a lack of respect. Anyone that does it doesn't care if they make the cleaner's life a misery by having to clean up the mess they leave behind. Where as I was thought that you treat the cleaner with the same respect as you would a lecturer or a CEO

You can bet your ass they don't leave the toilet at home in the same state cos they know mammy or daddy would not tolerate it at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Having worked in hotels, hostels and bars I regret to say that the women's toilets can be worse.

Nail on head. I never had to pick bloodied sanitary towels up from the floor of a gents toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,128 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This sounds like a Louise O Neill article!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Speaking of bad habits, does anyone else spit into the toilet/urinal before peeing?

I have no idea why I do it, it just feels right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Back in the day as a young emigrant working in a restaurant, absolutely agree, the ladies were absolutely manky compared to the gents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Just take a shît before you go to the pub. Then don’t go for a piss until you’ve had at least 6 pints. This stuff isn’t rocket science, pal.

Just take a shît before you go to the pub. Then don’t go for a piss until you’ve had at least 6 pints. This stuff isn’t rocket science, pal.

No piss until after 6 pints would be the stuff of the Guinness Book of Records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

People say that women's toilets are worse but how can that be the case? Are they really covered in faeces and urine and used sanitary products? I mean, I have used many of them and the vast majority have not been remotely manky.

I doubt men's toilets are that bad overall either - I just don't see how it could be possible for women's toilets to be worse. Makes more sense that it'd be 50/50 mostly - although due to biology, women don't have the "missed" aim problem (usually). Or is it maybe a subconscious expectation that women's toilets would be cleaner than men's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

The Flutt would have a field day at that OP. Pity he got so badly constipated he asked to be banned. Probably felt his art was leaving him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Can honestly say I've never been to a filthy toilet unless the flusher isnt working

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I just don't see how it could be possible for women's toilets to be worse. Makes more sense that it'd be 50/50 mostly - although due to biology, women don't have the "missed" aim problem (usually).

I imagine everything that can go wrong in mens toilets can go wrong in womens and much much more. Apparently [according to posts on the internet] some women hover over the toilet due to some strange fear of making contact with the toilet which isn't great for their aim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

"Much much more" like what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some really shocking women's toilets alright.

You really would wonder about some people. What must their homes be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I do always place toilet paper around the seat if I ever need a sh*te in any public toilet .

Would never place my arse on any of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Men’s toilets are disgusting I must say. On occasion I’ve gone into a stall for a whizz, only to see somebody else has given the toilet seat a “golden shower.” I then proceed to take my own pee carefully. Then I realize that 12 angry men are waiting to use my cubicle. What do I do? I reluctantly clean the pee belonging to somebody else with a tissue before I exit. How do you explain to the next guy that it wasn’t me? It’s the closest I’ve gotten to feeling what Lee Harvey Oswald must have felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Olivia O'Leary was particularly attractive in that video wasn't she.

And very well spoken. Lovely diction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

DS86DS wrote: »
    No piss until after 6 pints would be the stuff of the Guinness Book of Records.

Lightweight!! So, you've started drinking a couple of months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

It’s simple. Himself has been listening to her indoors all week, giving it large about the toilet paper not hanging the right way, and putting the seat back down, opening windows and spraying Oust after taking a ****.

Now he’s out with the lads, a few jars, no woman moaning, so time to piss all over the place and forget washing the hands... that’s wasting drinking time.

Real man stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

KungPao wrote: »
    It’s simple. Himself has been listening to her indoors all week, giving it large about the toilet paper not hanging the right way, and putting the seat back down, opening windows and spraying Oust after taking a ****.

Now he’s out with the lads, a few jars, no woman moaning, so time to piss all over the place and forget washing the hands... that’s wasting drinking time.

Real man stuff.

Haha brilliant

KungPao wrote: »

Real man stuff.

There's a grain of truth in that. Pubs the world over are refuges for men from their nagging wives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Mods I think the OPs account has been hacked,he hasnt blamed "the brits" for this terrible situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Men’s toilets are disgusting I must say. On occasion I’ve gone into a stall for a whizz, only to see somebody else has given the toilet seat a “golden shower.” I then proceed to take my own pee carefully. Then I realize that 12 angry men are waiting to use my cubicle. What do I do? I reluctantly clean the pee belonging to somebody else with a tissue before I exit. How do you explain to the next guy that it wasn’t me? It’s the closest I’ve gotten to feeling what Lee Harvey Oswald must have felt.

I hope there weren't skid marks as well....

Advertisement