Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Asylum Centre Torched

• 25-11-2018 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

An article on the new direct provision centre in the small Donegal town of Moville, posted on the irish times just 11 hours ago.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/were-being-sold-a-pup-and-our-good-nature-exploited-37556724.html

And a quote form an activist "this is hugely positive for the town and the cultural diversity will be amazing." Also " if people have to queue a bit longer at the doctor's surgery or make room in the classrooms for more children, it's a small price to pay compared to what the people seeking asylum have gone through"

Overnight, the hotel was set on fire, as reported here;

https://www.thejournal.ie/fire-moville-hotel-direct-provision-4359104-Nov2018/

As seems to be the case with these places, the people of the town were the last to know about their imminent diversification. Same thing in Wicklow, same thing in Rooskey in Sligo and elsewhere too I suppose.

The asylum seekers are earmarked to come from Syria, Brazil, Congo, Georgia, Pakistan, Nigeria etc. Most of the countries are very suspect in terms of "refugee" countries in my opinion.

What will happen next is now up in the air.

You'd wonder why the likes of Zappone doesn't make provision in her own locality? The people of Rooskey should pay particular attention to how this all unfolds.

I think its quite obvious, albeit anecdotally, that the vast majority of people don't want these centers in their tiny towns. And it appears that if the government is willing to throw these small towns under the bus, then people will start to take direct action.

If you lived in a small community and learned of a direct provision centre being set up, would you support it, or not support it? Why?

EDIT: A bunch of people stating support for this in the poll, yet a complete absence of a comment on why. Reminds me very much of this silly cartoon (not a perfect analogy, but close enough)

memewhy.jpg

EDIT 2: I came across what seems to be the only video of the townhall meeting that was held in Donegal. Its 30 odd minutes long, but at least skim through it to see the sheer ineptitude on display. Excellent questions raised, truly terrible "answers" provided. What a shambles. To save time, just skip to the 7 minute mark, unless you want to hear the generic, pointless "pitch".

I would support an Asylum Centre in my small rural town 156 votes

Yes, I would support it
    37% 59 votes
    No, I would not support it
    62% 97 votes

Comments

mammajamma wrote: »
    An article on the new direct provision centre in the small Donegal town of Moville, posted on the irish times just 11 hours ago.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/were-being-sold-a-pup-and-our-good-nature-exploited-37556724.html

And a quote form an activist "this is hugely positive for the town and the cultural diversity will be amazing." Also " if people have to queue a bit longer at the doctor's surgery or make room in the classrooms for more children, it's a small price to pay compared to what the people seeking asylum have gone through"

As seems to be the case with these places, the people of the town were the last to know about their imminent diversification. Same thing in Wicklow, same thing in Rooskey in Sligo and elsewhere too I suppose.

The asylum seekers are earmarked to come from Syria, Brazil, Congo, Georgia, Pakistan, Nigeria etc. Most of the countries are very suspect in terms of "refugee" countries in my opinion.

You'd wonder why the likes of Zappone doesn't make provision in her own locality? The people of Rooskey should pay particular attention to how this all unfolds.

I think its quite obvious, albeit anecdotally, that the vast majority of people don't want these centers in their tiny towns. And it appears that if the government is willing to throw these small towns under the bus, then people will start to take direct action.

If you lived in a small community and learned of a direct provision centre being set up, would you support it, or not support it? Why?

Lisdoonvarna in Clare, locals were left out of decision-making process despite being vehemently opposed. Zappone and her cosseted ilk can take a long walk off a short pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I got my suspicions that the asylum seekers wouldn't have liked to move to Moville either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Lisdoonvarna in Clare, locals were left out of decision-making process despite being vehemently opposed. Zappone and her cosseted ilk can take a long walk off a short pier.

It seems to be quite apparent what is happening here. In areas of large population where there is more "power" behind peoples voices politically, the government have decided to take sneaky advantage of the relative weakness of small rural towns.

The politicians say diversification is great (when viewed through binoculars a million miles away from here they live themselves)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

Not so subtle condoning of criminal activity to support racism.

Well done OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Locals attempt at giving them a warm welcome...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Anyone got any figues for how many asylum seekers are housed in Dublin and/or the countryside?

Allinall wrote: »
    Not so subtle condoning of criminal activity to support racism.

Well done OP.

Otherwise known in reality as "the news".

You know, when things happen that are of enough importance they receive national broadcast on television and media.

Your post is a not so subtle "don't pay attention" to support undemocratic, unwanted government decisions.

Well done yourself.

Otherwise known in reality as "the news".

You know, when things happen that are of enough importance they receive national broadcast on television and media.

Your post is a not so subtle "don't pay attention" to support undemocratic, unwanted government decisions.

Well done yourself.

Undemocratic eh?

How’d you figure that one out?

Undemocratic eh?

How’d you figure that one out?

So far you have contributed "racism!"

How about making a case for why you support asylum centres in small rural towns?

So far you have contributed "racism!"

How about making a case for why you support asylum centres in small rural towns?

Any answer to your “undemocratic” claim?

What makes you think I support asylum centers in small towns?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Well, I have to say posting on this thread seems like a waste of time the people of Donegal did not expend a load of hot air on a forum.

The poll is a waste of time along with the way the whole thread is framed.

What has happened has happened the way I would have framed it is not if we agree or disagree with the question I would have asked is anybody surprised by this or could we have seen it coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Patriots

Any answer to your “undemocratic” claim?

What makes you think I support asylum centers in small towns?

I presume undemocratic because;

1) The locals were not consulted about anything beforehand.
    2) The locals were apparently "the last to know"
    3) This appears to be echoed in several other places where it as already happened.
    4) By reading the articles attached to the OP
    5) (In one single instance so far) somebody felt politically disempowered to the point that they took criminal action

And so forth.

What makes me think you support it?

1) Your very post didn't remark anything about the news
    2) You immediately dropped the "racism!" bomb.
    3) You have said nothing about the subject at hand in subsequent posts, preferring to nitpick at my statements

So that's where my assumption is coming from that you support these centres in small rural towns.

Now that ive answered your questions, answer mine. Do you support them or not, and why?

EDIT: And of course, the poster was never seen again :)

Well, I have to say posting on this thread seems like a waste of time the people of Donegal did not expend a load of hot air on a forum.

The poll is a waste of time along with the way the whole thread is framed.

What has happened has happened the way I would have framed it is not if we agree or disagree with the question I would have asked is anybody surprised by this or could we have seen it coming?

Absolutely true to certain extents. But its important at the same time to debate and talk about these developments, otherwise they get brushed under the carpet.

As for the poll, as you say, people clicking the "yes I support it", but absolutely no commentary on why its a good idea to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Germans put a lot of their migrants in small rural towns. It's handy because when the backward rural folk complain about their crimes, the metropolitan liberals can just tar them as racists.

The same strategy is happening here. Although Mr Varadkar and Mr Coveney should be aware that Merkel is getting chucked out for it and will need high level security for the rest of her life. The 2 boys probably won't be bothered as they gunning down a retirement gig at the UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

From what I read last week loads of folk in the town were in favour of using the Hotel for asylum seekers.

Have you got the actual figures for and against?

The Germans put a lot of their migrants in small rural towns. It's handy because when the backward rural folk complain about their crimes, the metropolitan liberals can just tar them as racists.

The same strategy is happening here. Although Mr Varadkar and Mr Coveney should be aware that Merkel is getting chucked out for it and will need high level security for the rest of her life. The 2 boys probably won't be bothered as they gunning down a retirement gig at the UN.

I honestly don't know what exactly is happening in other countries, but I'm not surprised at this strategy here, or that it would be used elsewhere.

Its all so very convenient to dump these people in the least likely places to be able to afford it, and least likely to be able to politically challenge it. Out of sight, out of mind.

From the irish times article, it is referenced that other places have received next to no resources. These places are just convenient dumping grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

It's cheaper too. Small rural towns normally have cheap or unused buildings that would be more difficult to find in large towns and cities.

kneemos wrote: »
    From what I read last week loads of folk in the town were in favour of using the Hotel for asylum seekers.

Have you got the actual figures for and against?

I think you really have to be cynical of reported news. Talk to people on the ground and you'll get a much different picture of "welcome"

You could have 10 people come out in support of it, then it could be reported as "many people are in favour".

And don't dismiss people from very far away throwing in their support too. Theres some kind of link with a activist centre in Derry supporting this. 500 people "like" their facebook/twitter page, and hey presto, now "loads support the idea in Moville".

So to answer your question, no, there wont be any publicly available information on numbers for and against this in Donegal. The only solid way is to talk to people from there. It is made practically impossible. And that's probably not a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

This woman in Ballaghaderreen sums up my own views. However, dumping people into direct provision centres for lengthy periods of time doesn't seem very humane, especially in crap towns that lack the infrastructure for the populations they already have.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

I think they should be held in a big off shore tanker or one of the uninhabited barren islands while thier applications are being processed.

This woman in Ballaghaderreen sums up my own views. However, dumping people into direct provision centres for lengthy periods of time doesn't seem very humane, especially in crap towns that lack the infrastructure for the populations they already have.

Again, I very much question this idea that "the vast majority support it" from news articles where there is always a complete absence of numbers.

Why cant the people of a small community be allowed have a counted consensus on what is going to dramatically impact their daily lives? Why not a vote? Why not report those numbers?

I also question an article, in particular, that focuses on one single person, throws out the "vast majority" thing, and then finishes with a supportive quote from a vested NGO.

Also, referring to them as "crap towns" really is the icing on the cake for these communities, and says so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭conorhal

backspin. wrote: »
    It's cheaper too. Small rural towns normally have cheap or unused buildings that would be more difficult to find in large towns and cities.

And very remote. There aren't even public transport links to Dublin where these peoples cases are being heard... sort of an odd place to dump people. It's almost as if there's an agenda at play, is the Beara Peninsula perhaps a little 'too Irish' for the liking of some? Perhaps in need of the full benefits for the wonders of multiculturalism weather they want them or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

A larger provincial town would probably suffice, what is 100 new folks in a town of 1300 going to do?

Assuming they're not doctors and engineers, there is only so much typical 1st gen migration blue-collar/unskilled work available,
    and <10yrs the auto-johnny minicab, robotic burger flipper and automatic dishwasher3000 will slurp up all the low-skilled work anyways.

A larger provincial town would probably suffice, what is 100 new folks in a town of 1300 going to do?

Assuming they're not doctors and engineers, there is only so much typical 1st gen migration blue-collar/unskilled work available,
    and <10yrs the auto-johnny minicab, robotic burger flipper and automatic dishwasher3000 will slurp up all the low-skilled work anyways.

That's the forward thinking and planning of our government for you :rolleyes:

I like how so many are in support of this, going from the poll, yet nobody has made a comment on why.

Surely that point of view can be logically defended? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bfab74936506d39771a3064

No chance the fire was caused by an electrical fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Not trying to be funny, but is there some war or something going on in Nigeria that I'm not aware of? What makes Nigerians refugees? And if there is a genuine reason I'm not aware of, are there not dozens of surrounding countries that are perfectly viable alternatives for them?? Africa is an utterly enormous continent and Europe just doesn't have enough room to accommodate them all of them. I don't see any good argument for them coming all the way here tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Well the first step would be to condem an arson attack I would have thought. I think most reasonable intelligent people would condem it.

Leave the dregs of Irish society to applaud it. They’re going nowhere, except prison. Just like their parents and grandparents before them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I like how so many are in support of this, going from the poll, yet nobody has made a comment on why.

Surely that point of view can be logically defended? ;)

I voted 'Yes' in the poll because I'd happily welcome the people - but only if the infrastructure was there, and if adequate temporary housing was provided for them, rather than throwing them into hotels for Christ knows how long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement