Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The point is I changed my plans from 20 down to 9 on the garage just to make sure I meet the guidelines for planning approval if required.

If those guidelines relaxed then I'd double the number in a heart beat.

If you've got your grant then there's zero chance of any inspection, I'd do what Unkel says and realign to suit your needs especially as this is a garage roof and not the house, the perimeter restrictions were related to maintenance and wind noise if I understand correctly.
    Google images from other countries inc UK and you will see panels right up to the edges no issue.
    Go for it dude, you're generating mega returns of that envious aspect and you're already over the 12m2 rule (I think) so the horse has bolted

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭idc

slave1 wrote: »
    If you've got your grant then there's zero chance of any inspection,
    you're already over the 12m2 rule (I think) so the horse has bolted

The grant/inspection is for SEAI but planning permission rules is for county council or government.

So just because you've got the grant does not mean the county council could not come knocking on the door with issue over planning.

An bord planalla overruled its own inspectors in a case in limerick where owner covered half her roof in 21 panels, its hard to see how they could apply the rules to the many other houses in a similar scenario - whats more most of the installers still keep the gap between panels and top/bottom of roof as per planning requirements. yet looking at photo of house in limerick the panels literally go right to the top and bottom edge of roof!
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/woman-claims-order-to-remove-solar-panels-forced-her-to-burn-fossil-fuels-1.3622137

idc wrote: »
    The grant/inspection is for SEAI but planning permission rules is for county council or government.

So just because you've got the grant does not mean the county council could not come knocking on the door with issue over planning.

An bord planalla overruled its own inspectors in a case in limerick where owner covered half her roof in 21 panels, its hard to see how they could apply the rules to the many other houses in a similar scenario - whats more most of the installers still keep the gap between panels and top/bottom of roof as per planning requirements. yet looking at photo of house in limerick the panels literally go right to the top and bottom edge of roof!
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/woman-claims-order-to-remove-solar-panels-forced-her-to-burn-fossil-fuels-1.3622137

I know all of that, hence my comment that once you get the grant do what you want, no county county will want to get involved with PV Panel planning they know they will be on the back foot because of the Limerick case.
    I phoned a neighbouring county council before I blanketed my roof regarding planning and the lad on the phone said do what you want and not to waste time in planning as they would have to respond per the letter of their out of date regulations and restrict me to 12m2.
    I put up 36m2 and nothing but positive comments from all neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Wow, that's a good bit more than what I paid for a very similar (but larger panels) system, I'll PM you shortly

18 no Canadian Solar 410w PERC Poly panels
    BPE 5 KW Hybrid Dual MPPT inverter.
    Fireman's switch
    All DC cabling and isolators.
    All AC cabling and isolators
    All protection devices required to inverter.
    Pylontec 2.4 kw including mounting bracket.

Gross cost of €8,620, less grant of €3,000, net cost of €5,620

-Solis Hybrid inverter 5kw to future proof extra panels later date and wifi dongle for inverter app
    -4.8KW battery pylontech
    -14 panels JA solar 310W on a west facing roof
    -Eddi water heater for immersion
    -Zappi 2 car charger untethered and myenergie hub

7000e after grant - Net cost to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭championc

The point is I changed my plans from 20 down to 9 on the garage just to make sure I meet the guidelines for planning approval if required.

If those guidelines relaxed then I'd double the number in a heart beat.

I'd take your south facing house set and turn them landscape and add a second row. But you're more likely to have issues with having exceeded 12m2 that with a 50cm gap

Surely a bigger issue would be with the declaration on the NC6 Form, and you then exceeding 6kw ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,185 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

championc wrote: »
    I'd take your south facing house set and turn them landscape and add a second row. But you're more likely to have issues with having exceeded 12m2 that with a 50cm gap

Sorry if I'm mixing myself up, but the rule is that for below 12sqm you don't need planning at all. Over 12sqm I need planning.

In my case I went over the 12sqm (don't we all) but in the off chance that the council come calling, I stayed within the 50cm gap so that I could retrospectively comply with the regulations.

If I turn landscape then I could fit 2 rows of 6 and still comply with the 50cm rule. But I don't have the money to make changes at this point so I will wait for the Greens to get the regulations overturned.

Then a few years down the line I could change my 9 portrait to 2 rows of 10 portrait. Could in theory do easily 2 rows of 20 on the west facing house but I'd settle for 2 x 10.

Surely a bigger issue would be with the declaration on the NC6 Form, and you then exceeding 6kw?

Again I'm showing my ignorance, the NC6 Form is part of the grant paperwork isn't it? I didn't handle that at all, installer did it.

But the issue (if I understand it correctly) is that you can't export more than 6kw at a time or the ESB get twitchy? I know that mp3guy already has a beast of a setup and limits his export via the inverter. Plus my other potential plan is to greatly increase my storage by doing a DIY battery conversion from an EV.

A combination of those 2 would solve the 6kw issue.

But the issue (if I understand it correctly) is that you can't export more than 6kw at a time or the ESB get twitchy? I know that mp3guy already has a beast of a setup and limits his export via the inverter.

There's your answer, simples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I have 20 (6.2kw) panels SE facing and planning never entered my mind. I will cross that bridge if and when it comes up..
    Dr Phill go nuts and panel the crap out of it.
    You wont need a second inverter, maybe fit optimizers.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Dr Phill go nuts and panel the crap out of it.
    You wont need a second inverter, maybe fit optimizers.

No second inverter? I already have 6.2kwp. If I doubled it I'd have 12.4kwp and a 5kw inverter.

Presumably that would be OK now when generation is low but much of August and lots of September I was regularly getting the max from the inverter.

No second inverter? I already have 6.2kwp. If I doubled it I'd have 12.4kwp and a 5kw inverter.

Presumably that would be OK now when generation is low but much of August and lots of September I was regularly getting the max from the inverter.

As far as i know you are limited to 6kw maximum inverter for a private home unless you go 3 phase the is 11kw.
    your installer should be able to help

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/help/efficiency/electric-ireland-micro-generation-pilot-scheme

• Advertisement

As far as i know you are limited to 6kw maximum inverter for a private home unless you go 3 phase the is 11kw.
    your installer should be able to help

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/help/efficiency/electric-ireland-micro-generation-pilot-scheme

The 6kw and 11kw limits apply to what you export though, not what you produce.

That many panels would invalidate any inverter warranty, worth noting

That many panels would invalidate any inverter warranty, worth noting

That's my point, I'm the one saying I'd need either a bigger inverter or a second one.

If you hit the max in August or September days, when midsummers day is 21 June, it sounds like you could be feeding way over your inverter capacity in those good high sun months.

Be VERY careful of the voltage during these cold winter sunshine days. I remember last year how surprised I was to see total volts well higher on cloudless days in January and February than in the summer.

If you hit the max in August or September days, when midsummers day is 21 June, it sounds like you could be feeding way over your inverter capacity in those good high sun months.

So what's the solution, other than a bigger inverter?

Most installations as far as I've seen tend to have higher panel capacity than the inverter handles.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

So what's the solution, other than a bigger inverter?

Most installations as far as I've seen tend to have higher panel capacity than the inverter handles.

Yeah second inverter but it will have to be able to monitor the export and not allow any more than 6kw to be put on the grid. (more CTs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Quote:

- 4.5 10 panel kw system (JA Solar)
    - 5 KW Solis Hybrid inverter
    - 2.4 pylon battery
    - 10 optimisers

€5.5k after grant.

Thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

How much are you generating these days

Had installed for three weeks off October and production was better than I expected. This month though had been a wash out as expected and only generated 62 kWh so far for november

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    Quote:

- 4.5 10 panel kw system (JA Solar)
    - 5 KW Solis Hybrid inverter
    - 2.4 pylon battery
    - 10 optimisers

€5.5k after grant.

Thoughts on this?

Why the optimisers out of interest.

Why the optimisers out of interest.

Shadows across the roof from trees all around the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Tradnuts

Hi Peeps,
    I'm about to pull the trigger with my setup.
    I will post the quotes when i have decided on my installer.

I have two questions about the panel direction setup.

I'm getting 15 panels in total.
    I have a South Roof extension on the house, enough for 5 panels.
    This leaves 10 panels to place either on my west roof or my east roof, as i can only have 2 strings into the inverter (as I understand it).
    Would east or west be better for these 10?

OR,
    Would i be better to just put them all on the east/west setup? with nothing on the south?
    Thanks for your advice/ opinion...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Tradnuts wrote: »
    Hi Peeps,

This leaves 10 panels to place either on my west roof or my east roof, as i can only have 2 strings into the inverter (as I understand it).

OR,
    Would i be better to just put them all on the east/west setup? with nothing on the south?

Is anyone in the house in the middle of the day?

If not, the E/W would be a good option as it catches the sun early when people are in the house, and then also late when people come home

If you have enough room for 10... you could nearly get 5 more panels and go 10 on East and 10 on west, should be only 6-700 euro more.

At least go for 16 panels, 8 and 8.

you'll get less of a peak at mid day but a longer generation period. (and likely to export a lot at the mid day peak on a good day)... huh, another use of flattening the curve!

Overall there will be less generation, but you'll have more useful generation.

Tradnuts wrote: »
    Hi Peeps,

OR,

I found this site helpful in figuring that out: https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/

The key is the Azimuth (deg), it should give you an idea of what you generate east vs west facing

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pjordan

My system is being installed today and tomorrow. Thanks to Dr Phil and Worlds goodest teacher for the recommendation.

I got 4 quotes altogether and opted for 4.7 kw system with 12 panels on a South facing roof (had to butcher the top of a big tree shading the roof), 4.8 battery and a hot water divertor.

I'm very excited about it so I'll post some updates on how its going when I get it up and running.

But, for what it's worth, I'm very impressed with the installation process so far, very efficient and progressing at great pace.

pjordan wrote: »
    But, for what it's worth, I'm very impressed with the installation process so far, very efficient and progressing at great pace.

To be honest, it's reasonably hand for even a DIYer, so installation professionals have it done in no-time. The hardest part is possibly the roof brackets

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

A few quotes, first with no battery, second with battery. Thoughts and comments welcomed :)

12 no JAS 410W Split panels or equivalent to 5kw.
    1 BPE 5.0 KW  Dual MPPT Hybrid inverter.

5692 pre Grant
    3892 post grant

1 no 2.4 Pylontec battery and bracket.

7088 pre Grant
    4088 post grant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

6 wrote: »
    A few quotes, first with no battery, second with battery. Thoughts and comments welcomed :)

5692 pre Grant
    3892 post grant

1 no 2.4 Pylontec battery and bracket.

7088 pre Grant
    4088 post grant

The first quote doesnt have a battery but it has a hybrid inverter to support batteries. I wouldnt go that route.

Getting the hybrid inverter now and no battery is a bad idea as you are excluding yourself from the battery part of the grant which might be dumped at a moments notice. If you get a hybrid inverter get the batteries now (i.e. quote two).

If you want the cheapest quote possible then dump the hybrid inverter from quote 1 and ask for a new quote with a standard inverter.... it should be a good €600-€800 cheaper.

Both quotes are good though.

Also factor in that you will need to get a BER. The quotes probably dont include that so another €200-€350 for that depending on who you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

KCross wrote: »
    The first quote doesnt have a battery but it has a hybrid inverter to support batteries. I wouldnt go that route.

Getting the hybrid inverter now and no battery is a bad idea as you are excluding yourself from the battery part of the grant which might be dumped at a moments notice. If you get a hybrid inverter get the batteries now (i.e. quote two).

If you want the cheapest quote possible then dump the hybrid inverter from quote 1 and ask for a new quote with a standard inverter.... it should be a good €600-€800 cheaper.

Both quotes are good though.

Also factor in that you will need to get a BER. The quotes probably dont include that so another €200-€350 for that depending on who you get.

Thanks for the comments.

My thinking was getting a hybrid inverter now, with the intention of getting a battery down the road at a later stage. However, the quote with battery is only ~€200 more expensive, so it probably makes sense to go with quote # 2.

I didn't add a hot water diverter. Don't think it's needed tbh. However, down the road if needed is it a handy job for installer to retrofit one?

• Advertisement

6 wrote: »
    I didn't add a hot water diverter. Don't think it's needed tbh. However, down the road if needed is it a handy job for installer to retrofit one?

THis is no issue whatsoever as long as the diverter can CT clamp your PV feed and Grid supply so just get extra CAT cable ran when you are installing the system or mention it to installer so they can "future" proof your setup.
    I ran extra CAT cable with my installation and then fitted a diverter myself, very straightforward self install

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement